A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: New Ischia Adventure  (Read 552 times)

Offline ryanlally

• I Love Pizza!
New Ischia Adventure
« on: June 28, 2020, 06:56:46 AM »
Hi,

I recently got my ischia starter activated and i am very excited to put it to the test. I was thinking of the following recipe, going off of craigs SD chart:

1000g Caputo Pizzeria
650g Water (65%)
30g sea salt (3%)
75g Starter (7.5%)

Bulk ferment for 12 hours, Balled 12hours at 18C-20C

I am still new to the whole sourdough thing so just wondering if i am using 75g starter that is 100% hydrated, should i subtract 32.5g of water and flour from the final product or simple just add the starter on top of the 1kg of flour and 650g of water?

Offline Arne_Jervell

• I Love Pizza!
Re: New Ischia Adventure
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 07:02:33 AM »
My preference is to account for the flour and water in the sourdough, because I am nitpicky and want to have control on total hydration percentage. The math is a bit more cumbersome, but Excel comes to the rescue.

With 100% hydrated culture (which is also what I use by the way) I would consider half og the weight water and half of it flour. That ignores the weight of the yeast and bacteria, but I think that is forgivable.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 07:14:23 AM »
By using your numbers you'll be at 66.1% hydration, if you want to be at 65% you can reduce the flour and water by your 32.5g. Won't be a significant difference...
Hans

Offline ryanlally

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 10:42:06 AM »
Ok great, thanks very much for the replies. I'll definitely subtract the flour and water in relation to the starter. Will post pictures of tomorrow's bake

Offline Packard_Goose

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 02:43:18 PM »
I’m really interested to see how this works for you as I also have a recently activated Ischia culture and am still looking for a good dough process, and this sounds like the sort of hydration and timing I’m after.

Offline Roadrunner

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 03:05:02 PM »
i have been using Ischia starter exclusively for last 6 months.  a few tips that I can offer:

1) plan ahead.  make sure culture is well activated if stored in fridge.  take out a day before needed and feed twice to get happy.  this will also help make your results more consistent
2) use the sourdough calculator available on the site.  i use the PizzaApp which has a LSD option for liquid sourdough.  works well and adjusts water to overall target hydration (including what is in SD).
3) learn you recognize when dough is ready...sometimes its early, sometimes its late depending on mood of SD
4) if you have a second fridge, keep a backup culture

I like to subtle flavor from the Ischia but I dont find the pizza imuch different than that made with commercial yeast.  I find it fun to use the SD and have been sticking with it for now.

One from today. Barbecue chicken with cilantro. 64% h20, 16hrs 62°, 5hrs 73°, around 10% Ischia, 3% salt
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 03:10:36 PM by Roadrunner »

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Belle Pizze!
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 09:50:19 PM »

I like to subtle flavor from the Ischia but I don't find the pizza is much different than that made with commercial yeast.  I find it fun to use the SD and have been sticking with it for now.

One from today. Barbecue chicken with cilantro. 64% h20, 16hrs 62°, 5hrs 73°, around 10% Ischia, 3% salt
Agreed Roadrunner.  I find it fun to use the SD.  Do you have a wine cooler to proof at 62 Degrees?  10% Ischia would be a lot for me right now in the summer.  Your results shows it works perfectly for you!  Very nice.
Pizza Party 70x70 WFO/Saupto Floor

Offline Roadrunner

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 10:46:14 PM »
Agreed Roadrunner.  I find it fun to use the SD.  Do you have a wine cooler to proof at 62 Degrees?  10% Ischia would be a lot for me right now in the summer.  Your results shows it works perfectly for you!  Very nice.

Thanks SK. I have been using a styrofoam cooler with a gel ice pack for bulk. I have a temp prob in it and it holds the temp steady for a good 14-16hrs.  I ball into a plastic dough tray and place a small gel pack wrapped in a kitchen towel on top to keep temp in low 70°. Otherwise, I would be at 77-78° ambient. I’m in Florida and know what you mean about summer temps.

Offline Packard_Goose

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 01:21:08 AM »
i have been using Ischia starter exclusively for last 6 months.  a few tips that I can offer:

1) plan ahead.  make sure culture is well activated if stored in fridge.  take out a day before needed and feed twice to get happy.  this will also help make your results more consistent
2) use the sourdough calculator available on the site.  i use the PizzaApp which has a LSD option for liquid sourdough.  works well and adjusts water to overall target hydration (including what is in SD).
3) learn you recognize when dough is ready...sometimes its early, sometimes its late depending on mood of SD

I like to subtle flavor from the Ischia but I dont find the pizza imuch different than that made with commercial yeast.  I find it fun to use the SD and have been sticking with it for now.

Thanks! The PizzaApp looks awesome! Unfortunately I maintain my sourdough at 67%, right between the ‘firm sourdough’ and ‘liquid sourdough,’ but hopefully I can make it work anyhow.

Offline Roadrunner

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 01:31:57 AM »
Thanks! The PizzaApp looks awesome! Unfortunately I maintain my sourdough at 67%, right between the ‘firm sourdough’ and ‘liquid sourdough,’ but hopefully I can make it work anyhow.

The FSD options should work fine.  good luck.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 01:34:58 AM by Roadrunner »

Offline ryanlally

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2020, 02:39:26 AM »

Thanks so much for the tips. I ended up going with a 48hr ferment at 1.5% due to commitments. I'll see how it works out.

Your pie looks amazing, loving the leoparding.

What is your mixing process? I found with my last sourdough batch that the dough was so weak and when I stretched it out, it would just break on the peel or when I was turning it in the oven. Hoping that the ischia might be a bit stronger

Offline Roadrunner

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2020, 10:43:35 AM »
Thanks so much for the tips. I ended up going with a 48hr ferment at 1.5% due to commitments. I'll see how it works out.

Your pie looks amazing, loving the leoparding.

What is your mixing process? I found with my last sourdough batch that the dough was so weak and when I stretched it out, it would just break on the peel or when I was turning it in the oven. Hoping that the ischia might be a bit stronger

Given your formula above, I would say that your dough was over fermented and that is why it was weak. At the temp you are at, maybe something like half the amount of starter would be better. Just watch your dough.  I don’t do a lot it mixing. Three sessions of 4-5 slap and folds in 15min intervals after initial mix to combine ingredients. Once combined, I just let sit for 20 min before 1st slap and fold session.

Offline Packard_Goose

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2020, 12:31:49 AM »
The FSD options should work fine.  good luck.
Thanks for your tips Roadrunner, I used the Pizza app and dough turned out really good. It was going faster than expected. I happened to check the closet where the dough containers were before leaving for work this morning on my way out the door, and good thing I did, because three out of four had popped their lids off and would’ve dried out. I loosely set the lids on and left. Came home at lunch and put them all in the fridge, then this evening got two of the doughs out two hours before the bake. I was worried they were overproofed, but they still had some resistance opening, but weren’t difficult to open. It was definitely my best flavored dough I’ve made to date. I made one marinara and one salsiccia e friarielli with fresh rapini from my garden. The marinara went first and I think the Uuni Pro was a bit too hot. It got a little burned. The salsiccia e friarielli turned out a bit better, but both cooked in under a minute, so I think I need to work on a lower temp in the oven. Its gas valve is a little touchy. I’m saving the other two dough balls in the fridge for tomorrow. Hopefully they turn out even better!

Offline Roadrunner

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2020, 10:05:48 AM »
Thanks for your tips Roadrunner, I used the Pizza app and dough turned out really good. It was going faster than expected. I happened to check the closet where the dough containers were before leaving for work this morning on my way out the door, and good thing I did, because three out of four had popped their lids off and would’ve dried out. I loosely set the lids on and left. Came home at lunch and put them all in the fridge, then this evening got two of the doughs out two hours before the bake. I was worried they were overproofed, but they still had some resistance opening, but weren’t difficult to open. It was definitely my best flavored dough I’ve made to date. I made one marinara and one salsiccia e friarielli with fresh rapini from my garden. The marinara went first and I think the Uuni Pro was a bit too hot. It got a little burned. The salsiccia e friarielli turned out a bit better, but both cooked in under a minute, so I think I need to work on a lower temp in the oven. Its gas valve is a little touchy. I’m saving the other two dough balls in the fridge for tomorrow. Hopefully they turn out even better!

These look great. Nice job!