A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza Party on Gabriola Island  (Read 36311 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Pizza Party on Gabriola Island
« Reply #400 on: December 19, 2017, 08:50:17 PM »
Greetings!
I had to share -a good friend came over, armed with his iPhone and asked if he could shoot a little video of making a Pizza. Below is the result and meant for laughs.
NOTE: This is not an instructional video!
From hands to techniques there are obviously many things not “right”, but with luck you will get a chuckle . . ..
The elderly Icelandr makes a Pizza . . . .

That's great. What was the bake time on that pie? I'm going to bookmark your video for the next time someone asks what the fire should look like.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 08:51:57 PM by TXCraig1 »
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
  • One day . . a really Good Pizza!
« Reply #401 on: December 19, 2017, 09:55:49 PM »
Thanks so much Craig . . . Apparently building a fire is easier than building a Pizza. Looking back at the sticky notes stuck to the info for that bake, it was 82 seconds, only because I have a less random abstract wife to record that, if it were up to me . . .it was a Saturday sometime.

Have a very Good Holiday Season, Merry Christmas, thanks for your generous help!

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #402 on: December 20, 2017, 04:31:37 PM »
great video! for me, it was an exercise in mismatched expectations; I expected a Nordic accent! Ha! in any case, pizza looks wonderful.
"Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good." - Woody Allen

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #403 on: December 31, 2017, 01:23:11 AM »
Last Bake of 2017!
Looking at my notes, this it just about 100 Pizzas for the year, a contrast to that many on a slow night at a small Pizza restaurant! Good fun and lots learned in the year. Happy New Year to one and all!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 01:25:26 AM by Icelandr »

Offline the1mu

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #404 on: December 31, 2017, 02:28:43 AM »
Amazing!

Offline psedillo

• Supporting Member
« Reply #405 on: December 31, 2017, 04:34:50 PM »
That's a great looking last bake for the year!

Offline pizza party

• Vendor
  • The original Wood fired oven most versatile!
    • Pizza Party wood fired pizza oven
« Reply #406 on: January 03, 2018, 12:39:16 PM »
 :drool: :drool:
Simone
UK/US site: Wood fired oven Pizza Party
New shop online, save money by direct sales: Excellent offer home delivery to USA/CANADA + Wood fired oven Pizza Party + all taxes
Pizza Party facebook fans: Forni Pizza Party customers
italian official web site: Forni a legna Pizza Party

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #407 on: January 04, 2018, 12:24:16 AM »
Odd, again as I made dough for Friday night I was struck how studying, reading desperately trying to learn can be surpassed by some time and experience. I recall recoiling vehemently from the notion that experience was the teacher, the speaker was my father in law!

Tonight I made a ball of dough for 6 Pizza, that used to be a stress. I recall early days when wondering what “ when the dough leaves the bowl meant”. I used to add ingredients to the kitchen Aid and turn it to low for 10 minutes, never actually touching the dough, then kneading, resting 10 minutes and repeat. “Point of pasta” was a concept from Omid’s thread and sounded intriguing.
Tonight as in the last while, the stress was gone. Measure accurately, if the batch is greater than my arthritic hands want to knead, use the KA for a few minutes until it is a rough mix with nothing sitting in the bowl, then dump it on the board an knead it, (in pottery it was making cow faces, the palms making flat surfaces that looked like eyes). After about 3 minutes, I switch to stretching the dough, elongating it, until it is resistant, then folding it back as you would a tarp or pair of pants for packing until once again it seems to be resistant to be moved, you will likey sense the reluctance. Stop, cover with the bowl or cloth and go have a glass of wine, OK, I can’t guarantee tea works, but try. Set a timer for 20minutes.
When you lift the lid magic has happened, it is not the same dough you left, it is supple, smooth and ready to be kneaded and left again. I have found, for me, two stretch and folds (see or search for Bertinet) will suffice, the dough has changed so much! Now it is ready to ferment in Bulk to your plan

But you knew all that . . .  Have to say, a year ago, 6 months ago I didn’t and it has made a huge difference.

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #408 on: January 06, 2018, 11:48:37 AM »
First of the year . . . . Kinda looks like last year. Carefully watching the fire management has not yet yielded the miraculous evenly golden brown crust, but good eating.

Offline schold

« Reply #409 on: January 06, 2018, 12:13:16 PM »
The Rosa is truly an amazing American invention. I love that pie. I wonder how it would be received in Naples?
Cooking is not a recipe, it's a philosophy - unless it's pastry, then it's chemistry.

- Marco Pierre White

Offline SAUZER.ITALY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #410 on: January 07, 2018, 09:54:36 AM »
Very nice the margherita  :pizza:, still increases the "blow" of heat in the oven ..

Offline JayBC

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #411 on: January 08, 2018, 12:03:40 PM »
A question, if I may . . .
I am about to modify a second aluminum peel to become my Palino or turning peel and before attacking with my jig saw ask for suggestions. After some research here seems to be preference for an 8" diameter peel head for turning . . .  What do you use? The peels were inexpensive - wood handles and aluminum peel but a smaller turning peel was much more so I decided to  buy two and modify . . . But I only get one shot at it.

Do you use something like this -

How Did this work out? Photos? Any tips? Jigsaw with a metal blade? Grinder to smooth it out? Seems impossible to find a 8" turning  peel in Canada for less than $130!
Need a turning peel now that my Bollore is on the way.

Jay

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #412 on: January 08, 2018, 02:20:07 PM »
Message sent to you

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #413 on: January 09, 2018, 06:59:20 PM »
A Winter Lunch on the wild West Coast.
OK, it was caused in part by too much yeast, it was supposed to be dinner. Apparently my ability to measure .03 grams of IDY is shaky, I should have used a yeast and water solution. With only 2 balls of dough and aiming for 48 hours it doesn’t take much variance. The dough made it to 38 hours, 20 hours Bulk 18 hours Ball, but a tad overfermented. Salt 2.9%, IDY .01%, hydration 64%. I substituted Roquefort cheese for the Taleggio on the mushroom pie and it was very good. Cornichone got away on me, a ton of air from the overferment I believe . . . Tasty!
Thanks for looking . . . . . .

Offline SAUZER.ITALY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #414 on: January 10, 2018, 08:01:45 AM »
PIZZA very beautiful Ice  ^^^. You have the oven in a beautiful place .. with the water of a lake?
Excellent ingredients on pizzas :pizza:

Offline pizza party

• Vendor
  • The original Wood fired oven most versatile!
    • Pizza Party wood fired pizza oven
« Reply #415 on: January 10, 2018, 04:50:28 PM »
 :chef: :chef: :drool:
Simone
UK/US site: Wood fired oven Pizza Party
New shop online, save money by direct sales: Excellent offer home delivery to USA/CANADA + Wood fired oven Pizza Party + all taxes
Pizza Party facebook fans: Forni Pizza Party customers
italian official web site: Forni a legna Pizza Party

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #416 on: January 19, 2018, 01:08:29 PM »
Another attempt with 48 hour dough
In theory, one should be able to arrive at the correct amount of yeast for the time desired for fermentation given a reasonably stable temperature (18° C). In practice it seems tough for an old guy! This time it involved locking the dough balls away in a small bathroom with the window partially open to bring the temperature to 15° C to slow things down - yes, I know there are other methods of controlling the temperature, but with practice I should be able hit the right amount! - perhaps next week. Given the small batch size, 4 balls, amounts are very small.

65%, salt 2.8%, yeast .01% IDY, bulk 22 hr, ball 24 hr. Heavy leopard spots were on first Pizza, perhaps not yet up to room temp? Oven temp vey close on all.

For some reason I thought of Craig’s Garage and other more serious professional establishments when I looked at my prepped toppings last night and thought you too may get a chuckle.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #417 on: January 19, 2018, 01:45:23 PM »
They look great. Sometimes my toppings are set out on the lid of a recycling bin so your set up looks pro to me!

wordpress