A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: How to make a levain?  (Read 812 times)

Offline amolapizza

• If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
Re: How to make a levain?
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2020, 04:06:04 PM »
I must say that so far I've found my stay here mostly positive and peaceful!

I've hardly ever seen any flames, and at the very most had some difference of opinion with a user or two, but those we've worked out and things went back to a nice relaxed state.

I've participated in much worse places!  But IMO it's always better to stop problems before they exacerbate!
Jack

Effeuno P134H (1700W upper element), EGO 500C Thermostat (upper), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Sacorosso, Mutti Pelati Bio.

Offline Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2020, 04:29:23 PM »
This is a good calculator - https://calbal.altervista.org/

The author has posted on this forum and I think used craigs data as a base .  It looks a bit complicated at first, especially if you use the "advanced" option, but there are options for IDY/Sourdough/mixed and biga etc. I've found it to be excellent

I will also add that I have found this forum to be immensely informative and very friendly, 99.9% of the time.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 05:33:33 PM by Hanglow »

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2020, 04:55:41 PM »
Nope. Only neapolitan. A few pan pizzas during wintertime with mixed succes.

If you dont have a starter you can grow one like this. I did it awhile ago and we have been using it every couple weeks for our pizza etc.
It will take some time. It's not a 3 day event. To stabilize it you may have to do this for 3-4 weeks. Don't despair once it grows its yours.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2012/04/05/creating-your-own-sourdough-starter-the-path-to-great-bread
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline Smaans

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2020, 05:19:10 PM »
If you dont have a starter you can grow one like this. I did it awhile ago and we have been using it every couple weeks for our pizza etc.
It will take some time. It's not a 3 day event. To stabilize it you may have to do this for 3-4 weeks. Don't despair once it grows its yours.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2012/04/05/creating-your-own-sourdough-starter-the-path-to-great-bread
Made a starter since last monday. A week old now. I think it's ready to make some pizza dough and bread.

Offline Smaans

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2020, 05:35:27 PM »
This is a good calculator - https://calbal.altervista.org/

The author has posted on this forum and I think used craigs data as a base .  It looks a bit complicated at first, especially if you use the "advanced" option, but there are options for IDY/Sourdough/mixed and biga etc. I've found it to be excellent
Thanks for the calculator. I really like that it indicates how much mozzarella and tomatoes you need that's something pizzapp+ does not have

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2020, 06:56:19 PM »
Made a starter since last monday. A week old now. I think it's ready to make some pizza dough and bread.

1 week sounds a bit young based on my experience. There are a couple things that are happening that may not be sustainable when the levain is young.

For fun try this. Take say 4 oz of your new starter, 4 oz of water and 4 oz of flour. Mix them together and time how long it takes for it to double in volume. If it goes above that's ok too.
You would need to have decent scale to try this. Its better to do it in grams. What ever happens save this jar because we will do this interation a couple times until you get close to 50/50 in your jar and 2 hours.

This is what I would do. Don't feel obligated.
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline Smaans

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2020, 07:26:11 PM »
1 week sounds a bit young based on my experience. There are a couple things that are happening that may not be sustainable when the levain is young.

For fun try this. Take say 4 oz of your new starter, 4 oz of water and 4 oz of flour. Mix them together and time how long it takes for it to double in volume. If it goes above that's ok too.
You would need to have decent scale to try this. Its better to do it in grams. What ever happens save this jar because we will do this interation a couple times until you get close to 50/50 in your jar and 2 hours.

This is what I would do. Don't feel obligated.
Did the second feeding of today at 21h. Discarted 100g of  a total of 300g starter. Fed it with 50g flour and 50g water. It is now almost doubled in size (3h later). I know 1 week is still young for a starter. But i'm pretty shure it is mature enough to make some lovely pizza
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 07:42:41 PM by Smaans »

Offline Smaans

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2020, 05:27:38 PM »
Some pics of my first sourdough pizza's.
The most tasty pizza's i've made up until now

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2020, 05:40:21 PM »
Pretty.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2020, 08:50:55 PM »
Some pics of my first sourdough pizza's.
The most tasty pizza's i've made up until now

Looks quite good!!
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

wordpress