A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Neapolitan Pizza and G3 Ferrari (modified) electric oven.  (Read 416337 times)

Offline denoise

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Neapolitan Pizza and G3 Ferrari (modified) electric oven.
« Reply #1320 on: November 24, 2019, 12:48:46 PM »
are you planning on separating top and bottom circuits? if not your stone will get way too hot with two top elements and a bottom one. i would try combining the two you have now and putting them on top. with 1200 watts on top an extra bottom element is only useful for heating up the stone faster. once it is hot you don't need it anymore. i'd like to see some pics of pies and build also.

I'm planing to ad a new 110v 600w heater on top and wire all circuits again (with heat resistant cables) connected to an external box. My idea is to be able to switch from the normal 600w top + 600w bottom circuit to a 1200w top only circuit.

Here is my sketch:

Offline cypress

• Pizza Life. One Slice At A Time
« Reply #1321 on: November 24, 2019, 01:30:37 PM »
here are some pics of my pie with the M1 mod:

Antimo Caputo Tipo 00 flour
62% water
0.03125% ADY (lievito di birra)
11h in bulk @ 22C
8h in balls @ 9C
4h in balls @ 22C

I needed 3:00 for each pizza

are you using an infrared thermometer for measuring stone temp? that would be key since you can get to about 2 minutes bake time with a stock setup delizia. stone temp should be around 450C. other than that it looks pretty promising. nice cheese melt action, looks nice.

Offline cypress

« Reply #1322 on: November 24, 2019, 01:56:03 PM »
I'm planing to ad a new 110v 600w heater on top and wire all circuits again (with heat resistant cables) connected to an external box. My idea is to be able to switch from the normal 600w top + 600w bottom circuit to a 1200w top only circuit.

Here is my sketch:

that would be a cool setup. should work. keep us posted about your build. you can get heat resistant wiring and stuff at https://catersparesuk.co.uk/

Offline cypress

« Reply #1323 on: December 23, 2019, 04:57:49 PM »
just a few 60 second pizzas from last night. i upped the hydration to 67% and really liked it. will try going even higher next time.
dough was about 14 hours in bulk and 8 hours balled.
stone temp about 450C with the coera 1600 watt element almost on full blast.

Offline Arne_Jervell

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1324 on: December 23, 2019, 06:00:13 PM »
Beautiful! Looks soft, airy and delicious. :chef:

Offline Juliano Alberto

« Reply #1325 on: January 13, 2020, 08:20:07 PM »
For bottom heating, how about putting both of the factory 110V elements down there to hit the necessary 220V? And then a Coera to the top! That'd be 1600W (bottom) + 1650W (top) = a little vulcano.
Or a second voltage regulator, to reduce both then down back to 600W. Costs: 10EUR!

if anybody is looking for a 230v bottom element this is for you. it is 230v / 600w. seen on ebay italia.
https://www.ebay.it/itm/RESISTENZA-CIRCOLARE-PER-OPTIMA-FORNO-PIZZA-NAPOLI-EXPRESS-RICAMBIO-mshop/152943506533?hash=item239c24b465:g:t8oAAOSwfXJap~Sb

Offline cypress

« Reply #1326 on: January 14, 2020, 08:22:32 AM »
For bottom heating, how about putting both of the factory 110V elements down there to hit the necessary 220V? And then a Coera to the top! That'd be 1600W (bottom) + 1650W (top) = a little vulcano.
Or a second voltage regulator, to reduce both then down back to 600W. Costs: 10EUR!

sure, you could do that. would be total overkill for bottom heat but for heating up why not. it would be 1200w bottom though, since each one is 600w.

Offline ivowiblo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1327 on: January 15, 2020, 10:10:47 AM »
Hi!

I bought a used clone of these pizza ovens and I'm planning to mod it. Reading this post, I see you guys use the terms M1, M2 for the mods. Is there a specific post with the descriptions of the possible mods, and some indications/suggestions? So far, what I got:
  • Remove termostat
  • Change the coils to 600W under the stone and 1200W on the dome
  • Add aluminium or something to the dome so it relflects
  • Re-wire for high-temperature
  • Maybe the rotating stone

Thanks!!

Offline cypress

« Reply #1328 on: January 15, 2020, 10:37:16 AM »
Hi!

I bought a used clone of these pizza ovens and I'm planning to mod it. Reading this post, I see you guys use the terms M1, M2 for the mods. Is there a specific post with the descriptions of the possible mods, and some indications/suggestions? So far, what I got:
  • Remove termostat
  • Change the coils to 600W under the stone and 1200W on the dome
  • Add aluminium or something to the dome so it relflects
  • Re-wire for high-temperature
  • Maybe the rotating stone

Thanks!!

thats about it. you should replace all zinc screws with stainless steel ones. also you can get a 1600w heater from coera which would have more headroom heatwise. it would benefit from a regulator though. as far as the mods specific post goes, i don't think there is one. it is all scattered inside this thread. happy modding!

Offline ivowiblo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1329 on: January 15, 2020, 11:08:31 AM »
Oh, didn't thought about the screws!

Also, saw some add a reflector on the top, will do it if the center burns.

With "Regulator" you mean to control the amount of heat of each heating element? like a dial?

Thanks!!

Offline cypress

« Reply #1330 on: January 15, 2020, 12:24:11 PM »
Oh, didn't thought about the screws!

Also, saw some add a reflector on the top, will do it if the center burns.

With "Regulator" you mean to control the amount of heat of each heating element? like a dial?

Thanks!!

exactly. they are called voltage regulator or dimmer. if you go for these make sure they are double the wattage of your heating element. so for 1600w the regulator must have a range up to about 3000-4000 watts. this is to prevent it from overheating.

Offline ivowiblo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1331 on: February 05, 2020, 08:02:27 AM »
Well, i have it now! It's a Hamilton Beach pizza oven. It comes with two 600w coils and a rotating motor. It doesn't have a stone, but I'll buy one.

I did the thermostat mod and now it gets hot! The problem is that the plastic box that holds all the wires (and also works as a hinge between the floor and the lid) is melting. The melting plastic seems to happen not only where it touches he metalic surface of the oven, but also in the screws that holds the box to the oven. The result is that when I open the lid, the plastic box separates 3-4mm because the plastic that is holding the screws is melted. Any idea of what can I do? Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 08:04:43 AM by ivowiblo »

Offline cypress

« Reply #1332 on: February 05, 2020, 09:36:04 AM »
The result is that when I open the lid, the plastic box separates 3-4mm because the plastic that is holding the screws is melted. Any idea of what can I do? Thanks!

maybe wrap some tin foil around it? i dunno. the plastic so close to the heaters looks like a design failure to me. i have never seen this oven before, looks interesting.

Offline stefunk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1333 on: February 07, 2020, 02:25:49 AM »
Hi guys, thank you alot for all the informations in this thread, it was really helpful to mod my oven. I registered just to say thank you and in return post the photos of the process.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PJp7TUnGfruZg2qz6

Here you go, maybe it will help someone.

Offline LeRainbow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1334 on: March 13, 2020, 10:30:38 AM »
Hey guys!

I've been using my g3ferrari for some time now unmodded, just to get a feel for it.
I think now it's time to mod it to get closer to the neapolitan pizza I'm looking for.
 - Add a 1600W heating element to the top from coera with an external regulator
 - Insulate Top with Aluminium / Reflector
 - Rewire for heat

Just a check-in already saying thanks for this post, pictures of when I mod will follow soon-ish ...   ::)
Also dismanteling the G3Ferrari is a pain in the a** ... thanks stefunk for your pictures but I'm still having problems ...

Pictures of some of my pizzas I'm currently making with my g3 unmodded.
Gets too crispy with too little of color, more roman or american style than neapolitan.

Offline ivowiblo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1335 on: March 16, 2020, 07:38:55 PM »
The mandatory "Thank you so much" post.

I just disassembled the whole thing, removed all the plastic parts and cancelled the motor and the bottom heating element. Changed the top heating element for a 1000W round one and it's amazing. I use 66% HR, pizzas are taking 80-90 seconds with the stone at 840 F.

I used to put oil in the rim with my conventional oven and I was doing the same here, getting some burn on the top of the rim.

This was the perfect one, without the oil. It has a wasabi mayo base, mozzarella, soy sauce, green onions and sesame seeds. Flavor-wise was also a bomb.

So... Thank you so much! I still need to harden the oven, but performance-wise this is perfect.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1336 on: March 16, 2020, 11:16:43 PM »
Nothing in life is.....    Mandatory.
Except to keep breathing.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline ivowiblo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1337 on: March 16, 2020, 11:24:20 PM »
Maybe I got lost in translation (not a native english speaker). I feel so grateful that it is mandatory to express. Something like that.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1338 on: March 16, 2020, 11:46:02 PM »
What is your native tongue/language?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline ivowiblo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1339 on: March 17, 2020, 12:46:50 PM »
spanish, but I don't even talk it right :P