A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Emmy Squared to open in the West Village  (Read 370 times)

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• AndrewBellucci.com
Emmy Squared to open in the West Village
« on: January 26, 2017, 04:47:11 AM »
http://ny.eater.com/2017/1/24/14375956/emmy-squared-manhattan-downing-street

This is a pretty big deal.  I looked at that space in 1995 when it was $3,000 a month.  I recntly inquired about the space when I heard Blue Ribbon was going out. The asking price was $23,500 a month with 6 months security deposit.

The oven is in pristine condition, but has been converted from coal to wood - kinda like Best Pizza in Williamsburg.

So my first question is: will the Detroit-style pies that are now baked in gas convection ovens be making use of the massive wood-fired oven?  Or will a different type of pie be made - like an old school NY pie?

I'll wait and see - but this is a big deal in a major space.  Congratulations to the Emmy team!
Pie Man
201 OG

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
Re: Emmy Squared to open in the West Village
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 03:36:37 PM »
That rent is insane.  I read NYC is now about $400/sqft for rent.  I grew  up when rents were cheap enough in the NYC metro area for small mom and pop shops to be the norm and many owned their buildings after 20 years.  They will have to be open hours and produce pies so far beyond mom and pop capacity that it turns into a management of employee situation (nightmare to me  :o :o )  NYC is a place I no longer know or understand.  Walter
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 03:57:40 PM by waltertore »
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 10:25:42 PM »
NYC is very expensive, but it is also the kind of place where that rent can be made on a Saturday service. We'll have to wait and see what happens with that old oven  :angel:

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 11:29:14 PM »
NYC is very expensive, but it is also the kind of place where that rent can be made on a Saturday service. We'll have to wait and see what happens with that old oven  :angel:

Brooklyn and Manhattan are two very different markets with regards to food.

That said, I agree.  If you have the backing of media, and volume, a $275k/yr rent for a hole can work with enough volume and a liquor license. 

Net net, you're getting about the same as the 4 man shop in Kearny, NJ running a million dollar biz and keeping most of it but the dream when you're younger is to be a celebrity in the capital of the world.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 11:30:55 PM by HarryHaller73 »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 09:22:07 AM »
This is a recent interesting article on the problems--of which there appears to be many--with restaurants in NYC. The comments are also interesting.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20170123/HOSPITALITY_TOURISM/170129979/restaurants-are-feeding-their-lean-profits-to-higher-rents-and-growing-labor-costs

Peter

wordpress