I got home from Cedar Point and Lake Erie yesterday afternoon and resumed this experiment in the evening. While I was gone, my refurbished KitchenAid arrived from the factory, having been useless for over a year! Even though I was anxious to use my mixer, I mixed the dough in the food processor because I like how it cuts the oil into the flour, creating countless tiny pockets of oily dough, rather than dispersing the oil uniformly (which is likely the result I'd get if I used the mixer). The food processor creates a texture that seems appropriate for this kind of crust.
Here's the formula:
10% Canola oil
Changes from previous pizza: 2% ADY, rather than 0%; and 10% canola oil, rather than 5%. I tried to do everything else the same.
I had a problem with the dough because some of the water missed its target as I poured it into the dry ingredients through the opening on the top of the food processor. After the mishap, I added a little more water to try to make up the difference of what I'd lost, but I clearly didn't add enough because I ended up with a lot of excess flour that wasn't incorporated into the dough. I estimate the actual hydration of this dough to have been under 35%.
The results weren't bad, but it wasn't what I was trying to do, so it didn't really tell me much. The crust was pretty crunchy; a little crunchier than what I like. Still, like all the pizzas I've made in this experiment, it was good. (The pizzas that included yeast were considerably better than the ones that had no yeast, though.) I can't say that 2% ADY seemed to make the pizza much different than the pizza that used 1% ADY, but it did seem to aid browning of the crust.
At least three of the four pizzas I've made for this thread tasted like pizzas I've bought at some point in my life. I'm kinda surprised by this because I've used what I'd consider some very unorthodox procedures.
Considering yesterday's procedures didn't go according to plan, today I intend to repeat what I meant to do yesterday.
Pic 1 shows how I make these pizzas round.
Pic 2 may show that it was a pretty rough dough, with a lot of flour that did not get incorporated into the dough.
Several more pics on the way.