Author Topic: A Blackstone Down Under  (Read 109341 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: A Blackstone Down Under
« Reply #775 on: August 26, 2016, 08:09:01 PM »
Great stuff! Good to see you back.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #776 on: August 27, 2016, 03:16:13 PM »
 :)

It's a bit like walking back into Cheers!

I have to say the unmistakable smell of the first Marg to come out of the oven was magic.

Offline Neopolitan

• Pizza, Pasta Birra e Basta!
« Reply #777 on: August 28, 2016, 05:22:04 AM »
:)

It's a bit like walking back into Cheers!

I have to say the unmistakable smell of the first Marg to come out of the oven was magic.

I did have the honor to make A Vegan salad ordered by our regular geust (If in Amsterdam ;)) Woody Harrelson. He Came down in the kitchen to confirm if I was the one who made the salad, When I said "Yes?" He responded: "Awwwwsomme!"
He was a really down to earth friendly guy with no pretensions
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 05:23:46 AM by Neopolitan »

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #778 on: August 28, 2016, 06:52:16 PM »
I did have the honor to make A Vegan salad ordered by our regular geust (If in Amsterdam ;)) Woody Harrelson. He Came down in the kitchen to confirm if I was the one who made the salad, When I said "Yes?" He responded: "Awwwwsomme!"
He was a really down to earth friendly guy with no pretensions

Hah! Very cool.      And good to know your vegan salad is on point.

Offline Neopolitan

« Reply #779 on: August 29, 2016, 04:27:12 AM »
Hah! Very cool.      And good to know your vegan salad is on point.

On Another shift our dedicated Vegan geust came to the kitchen to complement us on our 'Vegan' Pesto ;)

"How do you make it?" Ehh...Basil, pine nuts, Seasalt, EVO and....Pecorino cheese! :chef: :-[
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 04:32:16 AM by Neopolitan »

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #780 on: August 29, 2016, 02:00:39 PM »
On Another shift our dedicated Vegan geust came to the kitchen to complement us on our 'Vegan' Pesto ;)

"How do you make it?" Ehh...Basil, pine nuts, Seasalt, EVO and....Pecorino cheese! :chef: :-[

Hmmmm how'd that go down?

Offline Neopolitan

« Reply #781 on: August 30, 2016, 11:19:02 AM »
He looked dissapointed, ofcourse I know when It happens to me when been served meat in a dish that did not advertise it! My chef had prepared a vegan pesto for him on a previous visit.
I geuss he expected the pesto to be vegan, because we knew he was.
There is always the important factor of communication between the Guest, waitress and the kitchen!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 11:23:05 AM by Neopolitan »

Offline dylandylan

A Blackstone Down Under
« Reply #782 on: November 17, 2016, 03:03:54 AM »
I'll be doing my annual catering gig for a yoga classes end-of-year party.

I've been very intermittent with my pizza making of late and not quite in the rhythm of things, so I thought I'd prep by making a few dough balls over the next few weeks before the party, and try to really hit the sweet spot for formula, temperature and timing.   Given my current schedule, I'll be doing a 45 hour dough, 24 in bulk, 21 as balls.  I'll keep a record here as I go, and hopefully after a couple of iterations will have the formula tweaked enough for showtime.

I've revived my Camaldoli starter which is now fully active, after an unsuccessful attempt to get my old Ischia back on its feet.

Today's formula and planned ferment: 

• Champion Standard Grade flour, and Camaldoli starter.  Starter being fed daily, most recent feeding approx 24 hours prior to mix.
  • 1x 250g ball: 62%, 2.5%, 1.5%SD.  24hr + 21hr @62f
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 07:59:16 PM by dylandylan »

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #783 on: November 19, 2016, 03:19:44 AM »
A 46 hour ferment in the end, moderately under-fermented.

Next stop will be to try the same formula, but at 64f... next week.

Online PizzaManic

« Reply #784 on: November 22, 2016, 10:36:12 AM »
Hi Dylan

Mind my ignorance but how do you tell the dough is under-fermented?

The reason I ask is because sometimes I myself am not sure if a dough it ready to be used.

From a visual perspective based on the pic you posted below, I can see activity by means of tiny bubbles at the center of the dough only and as you get to outer portion, you cant really see them on the pic - maybe it's there but the camera didn't capture it.

Thanks
Mo
Regards Mo

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #785 on: November 29, 2016, 12:54:27 AM »
Hi Dylan

Mind my ignorance but how do you tell the dough is under-fermented?

The reason I ask is because sometimes I myself am not sure if a dough it ready to be used.

From a visual perspective based on the pic you posted below, I can see activity by means of tiny bubbles at the center of the dough only and as you get to outer portion, you cant really see them on the pic - maybe it's there but the camera didn't capture it.

Thanks
Mo

I judge it mainly by whether the ball has risen sufficiently. Because I'm proofing in see-through containers, I look underneath too, and it's mainly through experience, I can see that this ball wasn't quite done.   It is also apparent when working with the dough, it isn't as soft and requires more "work" to shape, and most importantly it doesn't bake or cook the same.

So in this case, while there are plenty of signs that fermentation is taking place, it was obvious that not enough had happened.

I'll post more balls, I'm mixing a batch tonight, and you can see what I mean first hand when I ferment one properly...

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #786 on: November 29, 2016, 02:56:24 AM »
Round II.  Same formula, but upping the temperature.

• Champion Standard Grade flour, and Camaldoli starter.  Starter being fed daily, most recent feeding approx 24 hours prior to mix. Noting that the starter did have a scare about a week ago, I think it's back on its feet tho.
  • 1x 250g ball: 62%, 2.5%, 1.5%SD.  24hr + 22hr @64f

« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 02:57:59 AM by dylandylan »

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #787 on: December 21, 2016, 04:58:36 AM »
So life with a toddler curtailed my note-taking of my dough experiments.  not only that, but after refining my workflow, I nearly killed my starter, and only just revived it in time for the main event. 

I managed to get the starter back on its feet, on the day that I mixed dough for a dozen pies for my 40th, for which my wife had hired a WFO-on-a-trailer for me to play with... a thoughtful gift!

I only took a photo of my first test pie... [a poor man's margherita with colby cheese] then guests arrived and photography took a back seat.

A lot of fun playing with the WFO I must say.

I also couldn't resist the opportunity to do another A/B test with flours, and found that the Polselli Classica did not perform any better than the local and humble Champion Standard grade.  Another confirmation that this particular cheap local flour is a respectable choice for me.

And as much as pains me to say it, especially in this little tread of mine, but the WFO beat the BlackStone hands down in terms of bake quality, really not even in the same ball park.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 05:06:58 AM by dylandylan »

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #788 on: December 21, 2016, 07:18:58 AM »
beautiful Dylan! 

how is that toddler, I bet she is a cutie
Deb

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #789 on: December 22, 2016, 11:22:17 AM »
Cutie patootie as my friends would say.  She's well into her toddler phase, keeps us entertained and frazzled, and enjoys pizza!

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #790 on: December 22, 2016, 09:22:20 PM »
beautiful toddler

enjoy, she'll be out of the house before you know it
Deb