Author Topic: Brad's 950B Pizza Thread  (Read 9780 times)

Offline bradtri

Re: Brad's 950B Pizza Thread
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2016, 03:37:19 PM »
Craig, thanks for the confirmation on measuring the preferment.  I was thinking that checking 12 hours out would have been good, but we had pizza planned for lunch.  I decided not to sacrifice my sleep and instead checked at 7 a.m. this morning and by then it was a bit too late to make up the lost ground.  Probably would have been better to have just delayed the pizza to the evening meal.

Offline bradtri

« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2016, 07:37:28 PM »
Took quite awhile for the oven to cool down to mid-400s, but turned out some nice sourdough loaves

Offline bradtri

« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2016, 02:40:45 PM »
Today's pies at 2% Ischia and 2.7% salt.  I fudged the Ischia and the temp to the high side as I felt I'd been under-fermenting in the past.  This dough moved along quickly and I had to give it some time in the fridge to slow down.

1. Beef and Blue Cheese
2. Mushroom and sauteed onions
3. Prosciutto and shaved Parm  (any suggestions from anybody how to get the parm to "curl" and be more attractive?)

Offline bradtri

« Reply #103 on: August 20, 2016, 09:14:36 PM »
It's been a long time since I cooked in my FGM 950b but I fired it up tonight.  I can honestly say the first pizza below was one of my best tasting ever.  With the slightly faster cooking floor of the FGM, I probably could have gone 100% Caputo, but these were amazingly tasty and tender.

62% hydration
50/50 Caputo 00 and GM Harvest King
4% Ischia
2% oil
2.7% salt

16 hour RT ferment, balled and put in fridge for 24 hours.  Taken out 3 hours prior to baking.  I'm really liking this sourdough ferment first and then hold in fridge for convenience technique that I've been using.

1 - Italian Sausage, Sweet Potato, Alfredo Sauce, Monterey Jack cheese and a drizzle of chili oil
2 - Finished pie of Nutella and Marshmallow
3 - Slices of Nutella and Marshmallow

« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 09:18:15 PM by bradtri »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #104 on: August 21, 2016, 02:05:43 AM »
Today's pies at 2% Ischia and 2.7% salt.  I fudged the Ischia and the temp to the high side as I felt I'd been under-fermenting in the past.  This dough moved along quickly and I had to give it some time in the fridge to slow down.

1. Beef and Blue Cheese
2. Mushroom and sauteed onions
3. Prosciutto and shaved Parm  (any suggestions from anybody how to get the parm to "curl" and be more attractive?)

Those look really good. I don't think I've ever put beef on a pizza. Need to try that one.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline bradtri

« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2016, 11:14:15 AM »
Those look really good. I don't think I've ever put beef on a pizza. Need to try that one.

Thanks Craig.  I had to look twice that I didn't mislabel a picture as I had made a Beef/Blue Cheese also last night but didn't post the picture. 

The beef is a 48 hour sous vide at 140F of beef chuck with whatever your favorite marinade is.  I tend to head down the soy sauce/garlic/sesame oil route.  Makes for a very tender and flavorful pizza topping.

Other ingredients are Alfredo sauce, a bit of Jack cheese and of course, the blue cheese.

That pie and my Italian Sausage and Sweet Potato are almost always the crowd favorites.

Offline chefjh

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #106 on: August 21, 2016, 09:46:58 PM »
Brad
Use a vegetable peeler on the parma the longer the stroke the nicer the curls
Chef Bear

Offline bradtri

« Reply #107 on: August 21, 2016, 09:57:27 PM »
Brad
Use a vegetable peeler on the parma the longer the stroke the nicer the curls
Chef Bear
Chef Bear,
   Thanks, but I did use a vegetable peeler on the pizza above and they were virtually flat.  It was a serrated peeler designed for very thin peels.  Would a slightly thicker peel be more likely to curl?

Offline parallei

• Supporting Member
« Reply #108 on: August 21, 2016, 10:37:43 PM »
Chef Bear,
   Thanks, but I did use a vegetable peeler on the pizza above and they were virtually flat.  It was a serrated peeler designed for very thin peels.  Would a slightly thicker peel be more likely to curl?

The parm I use looks more granular than that. Older/drier.  It a veg peeler curls it nicely.

Offline bradtri

« Reply #109 on: August 27, 2016, 05:33:42 PM »
Three of today's pizzas.  I've been following the thread on "big leopard spots" and it seems my pizzas are becoming a bit cat-like ...

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2016, 03:27:02 PM »
The cat's meow, I'd say   :-D ..very nice :)   :drool:

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #111 on: August 29, 2016, 03:42:55 PM »
Those on the front of the bottom left pizza are a variety of what I'd call "big cat spots." It's the large bubble with the dark brown/black ring around them that sets them apart as big cat. Often the ring around the bubble will also have a sunken look. I don't think having a few is necessarily indicative of a problem. It's when the dough is completely covered with them.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline bradtri

« Reply #112 on: August 29, 2016, 06:03:16 PM »
So, all three pizzas were from the same batch of dough, fermented the same (16 hrs bulk at 76F, balled and put in fridge for 36 hrs, then 4 hours RT before cooking), and were cooked within minutes of each other with approximately the same amount of flame across the top.  Clearly, there will always be inconsistencies between similar doughballs, but I'm thinking that dough shaping technique was the biggest variable in this case and might have something to do with the type of leoparding. 

I was intrigued by the theory in the "big cat" thread that the time spent in balls could be a factor.  I think next batch I'll hold off on balling until about 6 hours prior to cooking.

Offline bradtri

« Reply #113 on: October 10, 2016, 05:57:01 PM »
Few pizzas from a pizza party at the house last Friday night.  Inching my way up the hydration ladder.  Last two pics are GF experiment using the recipe from here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=45084.0   Not bad tasting, but definitely lacking the texture one is used to with regular dough.  The par bake was really crucial.  The first GF pizza was a disaster trying to spread out.  Big improvement on the 2nd one and then I par-baked longer until the crust was actually starting to brown a bit before topping and then putting back in.

64% hydration, 3.5% Ischia, 16 hr bulk/8 hr ball, 71F, GM Neapolitan flour