A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: The Entire Pizza Making Process I use at the Garage  (Read 242698 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: The Entire Pizza Making Process I use at the Garage
« Reply #460 on: December 26, 2019, 08:15:51 AM »
I just finished reading the whole thread (as a Christmas present maybe?). I'm fascinated by the amount of knowledge, wisdom and kindness.
Of course, it challenged everything I think I know about pizzamaking but hey! Isn't that the reason why I keep coming to this beautiful forum?

To more and better pizza.

:pizza:

Part 2 of challenging everything you know: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=41039.0
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline ivowiblo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #461 on: January 07, 2020, 10:41:37 PM »
Omfg and I thought I was going to sleep!

Thanks!

Offline morrissey

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #462 on: March 21, 2020, 03:25:44 AM »
could I use a biga recipe like one from Jim Lahey in place of the sourdough starter, but use the same percentages? I ask bc I do have biga on hand from bread making, but no sourdough starter.

Offline jsaras

« Reply #463 on: March 21, 2020, 10:12:16 AM »
could I use a biga recipe like one from Jim Lahey in place of the sourdough starter, but use the same percentages? I ask bc I do have biga on hand from bread making, but no sourdough starter.
A biga is not a 1-to-1 replacement for a sourdough starter.  A dry yeast-based clump is not going to ferment at the same rate. However, if you have a fermentation regimen from another formula that has worked for you, you can plug that into the basic formula, but youíd have to subtract the amounts of flour and water to determine how it affects the overall hydration.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline ivowiblo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #464 on: March 23, 2020, 12:11:58 PM »
I always wandered if the SD in this recipe needs to be active. I mean (and I'm struggling with the expressions as I am not native english speaker)... do you have to feed your starter until the point it has doubled and it's "ready"? Since I keep my SD in the fridge and only feed it when I'm going to do bread (once a week), I find it difficult to feed it for this small amounts.

Thanks!

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #465 on: March 23, 2020, 02:49:55 PM »
Yes, I think it needs to be active.

I find it difficult to feed it for this small amounts.

You're going to need to make more than you need then throw some away. What does that cost extra? A couple cents?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline jsaras

« Reply #466 on: March 23, 2020, 03:55:41 PM »
I always wandered if the SD in this recipe needs to be active. I mean (and I'm struggling with the expressions as I am not native english speaker)... do you have to feed your starter until the point it has doubled and it's "ready"? Since I keep my SD in the fridge and only feed it when I'm going to do bread (once a week), I find it difficult to feed it for this small amounts.

Thanks!

I keep about 150 grams of starter in the jar.  There are a lot of varying feeding regimens, but that quantity has been perfect for my home use.

Offline ivowiblo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #467 on: March 23, 2020, 09:22:06 PM »
Yes, I think it needs to be active.

You're going to need to make more than you need then throw some away. What does that cost extra? A couple cents?

tell that to my neurosis! :P

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #468 on: March 23, 2020, 10:00:45 PM »
tell that to my neurosis! :P
tight wad a$$.  🎰🌴
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #469 on: March 30, 2020, 06:03:52 PM »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Cammy_17

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #470 on: May 22, 2020, 08:48:45 AM »
Used Craig's 62.5% dough--'00' flour, 1 g ADY, 16 g salt. kneaded 5 mins, stretched and folded 2-3 times in 20 minute intervals. Bulk 24 hours at 60ish Degree Far., Balled into 210 g balls for 24 hours at same temp., pulled to room temp for 3 hours before baking in OONI 3.

Dough seemed to be really wet and flimsy, resulted in difficult handling and shaping. Too much hydration? Not kneaded well enough to develop gluten strength? Any thoughts on my overall process. Thanks.

Offline jsaras

« Reply #471 on: May 22, 2020, 10:02:48 AM »
Used Craig's 62.5% dough--'00' flour, 1 g ADY, 16 g salt. kneaded 5 mins, stretched and folded 2-3 times in 20 minute intervals. Bulk 24 hours at 60ish Degree Far., Balled into 210 g balls for 24 hours at same temp., pulled to room temp for 3 hours before baking in OONI 3.

Dough seemed to be really wet and flimsy, resulted in difficult handling and shaping. Too much hydration? Not kneaded well enough to develop gluten strength? Any thoughts on my overall process. Thanks.
Iíve only gone out to 24 hours RT, but Caputo does need quite a bit more kneading than regular flour.  Alternately, you could drop your hydration to 60% or less.  Iím currently have some dough at 60.5% hydration, as per a formulation published by Caputo.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #472 on: May 22, 2020, 06:24:30 PM »

Specifically what flour are you using?

Offline kashmir107

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #473 on: May 24, 2020, 08:59:58 AM »
My dough makes nice pizza with the Ischia starter but the dough balls look more like pancakes, I canít work out why?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #474 on: May 24, 2020, 12:17:06 PM »
My dough makes nice pizza with the Ischia starter but the dough balls look more like pancakes, I canít work out why?

How long are you in balls?

Offline kashmir107

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #475 on: May 25, 2020, 05:39:07 AM »
They are in balls for 24 hours at 65F,

I don't know if I am making a mistake with the ischia starter. i take out approx 20gms from the fridge, mix it with 20grms flour and 20 grms of water and leave it to ferment for about 8-10 hours. Once it has frothed up I use it at 1.3% as you do.

The pizzas are really good, but the fact that they loose there shape tells me something isn't quite right ?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #476 on: May 25, 2020, 08:26:35 AM »
I sounds like they are a bit underfermented. Try 2% and everything else the same.

If they are still too flat, try 2% and do 36h bulk + 18h balls.

If they are still flat with on;y 18h in balls, try balling the dough a bit tighter.

Offline Cammy_17

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #477 on: May 25, 2020, 09:50:46 AM »
Specifically what flour are you using?

Molina Pizzuti

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #478 on: May 25, 2020, 11:16:45 AM »

Offline Cammy_17

• I Love Pizza!

wordpress