A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: URGENT Ischia Culture Activation Help  (Read 653 times)

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Re: URGENT Ischia Culture Activation Help
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2017, 06:28:21 PM »
I use all purpose. I don't see any reason to use 00 in a starter.
Hans

Offline koo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2017, 11:30:22 AM »
Great to know HBolte.

Thank you!

Offline koo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2017, 01:01:24 PM »
I thought I would post this, as I'm a little concerned that I'm not getting maximum rise within 2-4 hours. It's taking about 6 hours to go from 1.5" at feed to 4" at maximum rise, which can be seen in the picture below.

Thanks!

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2017, 01:42:01 PM »
It's fine. There is no requirement for things to happen at exact times. Base your bake on what the culture does, not what the clock says.
Hans

Offline la_marziana

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2017, 05:57:28 PM »
this looks good and 6 hours for maximum is totally fine.i watched mine and took pictures at regular intervals and compared to find out what works for me. it may also change over time. it's the nature of sourdough- it's a "wild element", where many factors come into play...

no worries-yeast multiplies when there is enough to eat...  the following is from king arthur flour's website, where i found helpful info on how to maintain a culture (i even grew one myself with their instructions to play around with. that was before i ordered ischia starter):

"Why do you need to discard half the starter? It seems so wasteful. Well, it's necessary for three reasons. First, unless you discard, eventually you'll end up with The Sourdough That Ate Milwaukee — too much starter. Second, keeping the starter volume the same helps balance the pH. And third, keeping the volume down offers the yeast more food to eat each time you feed it; it's not fighting with quite so many other little yeast cells to get enough to eat. Also, you don't have to discard it if you don't want to; you can give it to a friend, or use it to bake."

as for the flour to feed, i use APF. the amount of starter used in a pizza dough is so small that i don't think it matters in the outcome of the recipe.i am sure others will chime in, too. as i said, i am still new to sourdough myself- just sharing what i experienced so far. :) i hope that helps.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 05:59:33 PM by la_marziana »

Offline koo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2017, 10:00:19 PM »
Thanks to everyone who helped with my starter questions. My starter looks and smells in accordance with what I've read on this forum.

I started my dough making process today, and I'm following Craig's method... https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=20477.0, and I'm an hour into the first 24. I fed and put the remaining starter in the refrigerator.

I will take pictures and give an update of the results!

Thanks again!

Offline koo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2017, 08:30:20 PM »
Ok... So I followed Craig's NP dough making process but at step 5/6, which is just after mixing all the ingredients together, it was too wet to knead. I tried kneading it more than 20 or so times, thinking it would dry up to the same consistency described in Craig's recipe and shown in the pictures but it didn't. I ended up adding very small amounts of flour to acquire the same consistency, which was about 1 cup. If this is a factor, the humidity in my house is approx. 35%.

I did the bulk ferment for about 26 hours, as opposed to 24 hours. (I was out and could not get back in time). I kept it at 65F most of the time, say 95% of the time, fluctuating to 66/67F and sometimes going down to 64F. At the end of the bulk ferment, I got a few bubbles and hardly any rise, which I believe is in line with Craig's process.

I started the fermentation of the dough balls at 65F and increased the temp to 78F after 14 hours and took them out of the proofing box approx. 10 hours later. The first two pictures are just after taking them out of the proofing box and the last one is obviously the result.

Again, thank you to everyone!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 08:50:29 PM by koo »

wordpress