A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Tommy's Pizza (Columbus OH) - Any recipe ideas  (Read 146695 times)

Offline Floridian

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Tommy's Pizza (Columbus OH) - Any recipe ideas
« Reply #440 on: January 06, 2018, 05:09:19 PM »
333Meg had found out a Tommy's clone (supposedly) that is in Naples FL. My mom used to live in Naples before her passing so I was familiar with the city. Megs doctor's receptionist told about The Crust (www.the crust.net). My wife finally found some time and took a road trip to Naples yesterday. Got a bit of a late start but arrived at our hotel around 7. We quickly disgorged our luggage and made the ten minute drive to The Crust. At 7:30, the place was PACKED. First off, it is NOTHING like a Tommy's on the inside. They had 20+ beers on tap and lots of wine choices. The restaurant is dominated by a 40 seat bar. The bar was packed too. There were at least 40 tables and booths in the restaurant as well as a six table private room. We got sat in a six person booth and ordered our drinks. I love Tommy's meatball subs so we got a medium pepperoni pizza and a meatball sub. We got our food and we were struck how much the pizza looks like Tommy's. The crust was spot on. Definitely ezzo for the pepperoni. That being said, after reflection, I found something was missing from the flavor profile. Not sure if the garlic powder was missing or something else. A reddit post said (from someone who claimed to have worked there) that Tommy's uses pecorino romano cheese. I lost my sense of smell 5+ years ago so my sense of taste is somewhat limited. I tend to like strong flavors so I put pec rom cheese when I make my clone here. Meg doesn't seem to think Tommy's uses pec rom. The sauce didn't stand out to me at all. Nothing like Tommy's IMO. The cheese seemed close to Tommy's, but, again, hard for me to discern some flavors. We went back today for lunch. We were the first customers of the day. I took the opportunity to go to the restroom so I could scope their kitchen out. They use a Lincoln pizza oven. After perusing the Lincoln website, I saw the model they use: http://www.lincolnfp.com/Product/fam_eomqsq/Impinger-I-1400-Series. They had two stacked up, which means they can crank out a ton of pizza pretty quickly. We got a small pep for lunch today and a large pep to go for our kids.

The first pic is of the pizza we got last night. Looks just like a Tommy's pizza IMO

The second pic you can see the lamination, looks spot on

The third pic is of the bottom of a piece

The forth pic is of the opening of the kitchen

The fifth pic is the large pep we got to go, they don't do par baked pizzas

The sixth pic is the bottom of the pizza from last night         

If anybody gets to Naples, check out The Crust. Not quite Tommy's, but pretty close
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 05:14:06 PM by Floridian »
Tommy's pizza fan. Trying to emulate Tommy's using Aimless Ryan's recipe

Offline Floridian

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #441 on: January 06, 2018, 05:15:18 PM »
And the meatball sub at The Crust was not nearly as good as Tommy's. Not even close
Tommy's pizza fan. Trying to emulate Tommy's using Aimless Ryan's recipe

Offline 333meg

• Surprisingly pizza obsession has not made me fat.
« Reply #442 on: January 06, 2018, 05:56:54 PM »
Well I have some very interesting information that I just found out. As we all know, I love pizza, especially Tommy's pizza, and any chance I get to talk pizza with anyone, anytime, anyplace, I do. I've found that I have the tendancy to bait people in to talking pizza, unintentionally of course. So this is the situation I found myself in, sitting in a Dr.'s office at the receptionist's desk, telling her how much I have been enjoying making pizza. She asked what kind of pizza, so I say Tommy's is what I shoot for. She laughed and said she has friends all over, namely in Florida, and when they come to town, the first thing they want is Tommy's Pizza. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised by that because I'm sure that same situation plays itself out many times over, but I was also thinking of Floridian. Then she went onto to say that her brother worked on creating a Tommy's Pizza clone for years and years, and that he took it super seriously,  closely guarding his recipe. And now he has helped open a pizza shop in Naples, Florida with his Tommy's Pizza clone recipe at the helm, called The Crust! I was in total awe and also very excited to know of yet another person who's life has been so affected by our beloved Tommy's Pizza. I checked out The Crust's website and the photos sure look on point to me. Floridian how far do you live from Naples??? I'd love to know what it's like. I also have to wonder has the receptionist's brother been here on Pizzamaking? She said she would check and let me know. Very exciting.
That is what I wrote exactly 1 year ago...You made it happen Floridian! I love it. Floridian and I were texting while he was at The Crust, and I have to say I was overjoyed on so many levels. It's a close call for me, if a I had to choose, which I don't have to thank god, between pizza and the pizza comraderie I have found here on PM. I've said it before but I really like the name Tommy's Pizza Posse...it sounds good!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 06:01:54 PM by 333meg »
Pursuing pizza has put me into an airplane, in a car and on road trips of hundreds of miles...

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress