A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Aimless Pizza Hut Thin & Crispy  (Read 3956 times)

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Aimless Pizza Hut Thin & Crispy
« on: September 17, 2012, 12:01:19 PM »
Having been jonesing for Pizza Hut thin crust lately, in addition to growing kinda tired of my quest to clone Tommy's, I've decided to try cloning Pizza Hut's thin crust. Since I've never tried this before, I'm starting with a relatively blank slate in terms of dough formula.

The dough formula I'm using is based loosely on the Thin-Crust Pizza page on the main web site.

100% All Trumps flour
40.5% Water
1.25% ADY
1.6% Salt
6.25% Canola oil
0.75% Sugar

I made some changes to the formula, which I based partly on my experience making similar kinds of pizza at home, in addition to my experience working at Pizza Hut. As a former Pizza Hut driver, I've handled and sheeted many hundreds of their thin crust pizza dough skins, so I think I have a pretty good memory of how the dough should feel and handle. However, I've never made the dough at Pizza Hut. (It's not as if I could have learned anything by mixing a pre-packaged dough mix, though.)

I made my first batch of dough at about 10:00 this morning, mixing for about five minutes. After mixing, I divided the dough into two pieces. I immediately put one piece of dough in the refrigerator (in a bag), and I left the other piece in the mixer bowl, covered with plastic wrap, to bulk-ferment for several hours.

Here's a picture of the dough immediately after mixing. The dough did feel just about how I remember Pizza Hut thin dough. At Pizza Hut, the thin dough never changed much throughout the day, even though it was left in a container at room temperature all day. I suspect this resulted more from the dough's stiffness than from a low yeast content, which is why I increased the yeast from Steve's cracker crust formula. I also used a slightly higher hydration figure, as well as double the oil of Steve's formula, and a little less sugar.
Ryan
http://www.ryanspizzablog.blogspot.com

Disclaimer: Don't necessarily believe anything I say here. My brain ain't quite right anymore (unless it is). If I come off as rude or argumentative, that's probably not my intention. Rather, that's just me being honest, to myself and everyone else; partly because I don't have enough time left to BS either you or myself. If you are offended by anything I say, it's probably because you think lying to people (to be "polite") is a good idea. I don't.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Re: Aimless Pizza Hut Thin & Crispy
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 04:28:04 PM »
Here's the dough after scaling, then again after a five-hour ferment.
Ryan

Disclaimer: Don't necessarily believe anything I say here. My brain ain't quite right anymore (unless it is). If I come off as rude or argumentative, that's probably not my intention. Rather, that's just me being honest, to myself and everyone else; partly because I don't have enough time left to BS either you or myself. If you are offended by anything I say, it's probably because you think lying to people (to be "polite") is a good idea. I don't.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 04:38:40 PM »
Pic 1: I'm using a cutter pan, which you already knew. The pan is seasoned (dark) on the bottom.

Pic 2: The tools I used to dock and trim the dough in the pan.

Pic 3: This is actually showing that the 10" dough skin weighed about 6.45 oz (TF=0.068 oz of dough per square inch).
Ryan

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 04:44:03 PM »
Pic 1: Baked for 12 minutes at 500.
Pic 2: Profile of the baked pizza.
Pic 3: Bottom of the baked pizza.
Pic 4: Slice profile.
Ryan

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 05:14:00 PM »
Verdict: Not quite what I was shooting for, but close. It was pretty good.

Critique:

• I used too much oil. I could tell the dough had too much oil just by looking at it. This pizza wasn't as stiff as a Pizza Hut thin, either. Rather, it was slightly biscuity, due to too much oil. I will cut the oil by at least half next time.
  • Probably a little too much hydration, but that's hard to say for sure, due to the fact that I know I used too much oil.
  • I rolled it a hair too thick.
  • 12 minutes at 500 (on a stone, on the bottom rack) worked about perfectly. I left it in the pan the whole time.
  • Sugar gave the crust a nice amount of browning.
  • Probably too much yeast. I will decrease the yeast percentage with the next batch.

I was surprised this formula created dough that was relatively easy to roll, especially considering I used All Trumps flour. I was considering using KAAP, but I'm glad All Trumps worked well (because I have about 45 lbs of it).

I think my next stab at this will be pretty close to what you can get at Pizza Hut.
Ryan

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 05:39:07 PM »
all this valuable information and this is what i enjoyed most about it  :-D
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 08:04:22 AM »
A couple days ago I had my first Pizza Hut thin since at least 2010. I know a lot more about pizza now than I did when I posted the earlier posts, so I've been thinking about this the last couple days.

If I was to try cloning PH thin again today, this is how I would begin trying again. I think it would be pretty close, too.

100% HG flour
35% Water
2% Yeast
1% Salt
5% Oil/fat
0.5% Sugar

Bulk ferment for several hours or all day. Roll as thin as possible. Drape over cutter pan. Dock. Trim.

I was surprised to read that my original formula is much closer to this than I remembered. Even though Pizza Hut did not laminate thin crust (intentionally) when I worked there in the early 90s, I bet they do now, as I have to figure they prepare all the skins in a commissary. Crust tasted just like a cracker.

Mostly I can't stand Pizza Hut, but their thin is so good. Better than I remember, too.
Ryan

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 02:54:03 PM »
IDY. Don't know why I wasn't more specific earlier.

Even if I was using ADY, I would use the same percentage. I have found that a 1:1 ADY:IDY conversion seems to work best for me.
Ryan

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2017, 09:12:30 AM »
Here's why I chose certain percentages for certain ingredients:

3-5% oil. If you try 5% oil and it turns out kinda crumbly instead of kinda flaky, try 3% oil. This is what I was thinking even before I read my post from years ago that said I'd probably cut my oil percentage in half if I tried this again. Fat shortens gluten strands ("shortening"). That's what causes flakiness and crumbles. Chewy crust equals less fat; crumbly crust equals more fat. I feel like if you use too much fat with stiff dough, the crust ends up with a nasty gritty texture. To understand what I mean, go buy a Home Run Inn frozen pizza from your local Kroger-owned store. Has a nasty texture.

35% hydration. This dough has to be really stiff. If that's rough on your mixer, it's OK to try 40%. But this dough doesn't have to be mixed thoroughly. You only want to mix it until all the flour has been picked up by the dough.

1% salt. I detected a blandness in my genuine PH thin crust, but I don't feel like it was as bland or "sweet" as Malnati's deep dish dough, which acquires a sweet taste from its absence of salt. (If you're ever trying to get a sweet crust that's not black from added sugar, try lowering/omitting the salt.)

I bet there's some dry milk in there, too.
Ryan

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 03:25:50 PM »
I'm working on (eating) my fourth Pizza Hut thin since regenerating this thread several days ago. My last one was way overfermented. I couldn't detect any alcohol flavor or anything, but it was very dense; a bad kind of crunchy.

When I worked at Pizza Hut (four different units, in three different states), all dough was thrown out at the end of every night. Clearly not done that way anymore. That needs to be done with their thin crust. Their thin crust was good mostly because it used to be rolled right before it was baked. If it sits on the pan for hours or overnight, it's not the same thing. You can do that with other pizzas; not this one. Yet they do. And it's very easily detectable.

I'm now inclined to think there should be no sugar in this dough.
Ryan

Offline Jimmy V

• I Love Pizza / Fishing/ and Drag Racing.
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 01:35:40 AM »
I like the crust very thin.. but airy, and crisp. I have perfected it

wordpress