A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza Hut Pan Pizza  (Read 240264 times)

Offline LeonP

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Pizza Hut Pan Pizza
« Reply #380 on: August 02, 2018, 01:04:21 PM »
3 questions maybe someone who has run this recipe before can help me out with:

1) In the initial rise/ferment at room temp, how long would you say you expect for the dough to rise and fill out the pan before refrigeration?
2) How long before baking should I remove my pan from the fridge? Should the dough be going into the oven cold and topped?
3) When the OP says stretch out to 12", this is assume a 14" pan and it will fill out during the rising/fermenting period, correct?

Thanks a lot!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 09:26:42 AM by LeonP »

Offline LeonP

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #381 on: August 04, 2018, 01:44:03 PM »
Alright, I made the recipe and it turned out well I feel!

For the dough I used Pete-zza's revised formula here: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4607.msg38909.html#msg38909
Bread flour for flour and vegetable (which I checked ingredients to find was Soybean) oil for oil.

For the sauce I used Jackie Tran's recipe here: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=4452.msg412244#msg412244

I don't know the 80s PH Pans as a point of reference, but it is delicious all the same. Baked for around 15 minutes at 470f in a pan, on a baking stone (oven had been preheated for 55 minutes) 1 rack higher than the middle of my oven. Initial room temperature ferment was about 2-2.5 hours - I wasn't sure how long to expect, so I periodically checked in on it until it had risen enough to fill out the pan. It then cold fermented for roughly 16 hours (7 30-ish PM Friday until 11 30am Saturday). I let the dough and sauce then rest at room temperature for an hour while the oven was preheating.

Had issues rolling it out into a circle (I wonder if it should be fully degassed?) so the surface was pretty uneven, but the fermenting helped that a lot it seems (still there's lots of dips and peaks in the dough surface, so something to work on for next time for sure). I was really stressed about getting it into a circle for pan-fermentation, was this necessary? Would it have filled out evenly as long as it was just in a vaguely oval/circle ship with a consistent thickness?

I think I used too much oil, so I will rein that in next time, I had to let the pizza rest on a big bundle of paper towels for a few minutes when pulling it out due to me worrying about having the oil envelop the entire bottom of the pan which I think would have happened when the dough expanded over time anyway. The sausage tasted a bit off, but that was just due to my choice in type/brand I think, so I'll have to look into what kinds of sausage are good for pizza toppings.

Offline MadMatt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #382 on: August 04, 2018, 05:27:23 PM »

^ Nice looking pizza how much oil did you use that's an important part in getting that crispy oily crust PH are known for

Is there any reason to let the dough rise twice?

In bread making it's supposed to give a finer gluten structure and smaller crumb according to a google search.

I've made plenty of one rise bread rolls and to be honest I don't notice much difference.

Just seems lot easier to  knead the dough, plop it in and let it rise once. 

I like doing my RT pizza and doing two rises seems a pain. I guess as I usually do  8 hour RT pizza's   I could find out how long 4 hours need and double it?

Offline LeonP

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #383 on: August 04, 2018, 07:44:36 PM »
I used around ... 4.4 ounces or so. I did 4, it didn't spread enough to cover my pan so I poured a bit more in and then dabbed some up with paper towels so I can't give a definitive figure  :-\

Only reason I did the 2nd RT portion was b/c I'm used to all of my doughs and sauces being baked not-cold and so it felt right to do it that way (possible mistake on my part?), I didn't personally think of this as a rise/proofing but more of a thawing out.

Offline Sebastianvettel

« Reply #384 on: September 04, 2018, 07:34:37 PM »
Thanks for the recipes and information sharing in this thread.  It has been of great help for my dough and especially the preparation/shaping/fermentation of the dough. I am not completely sure if I got the right Flour because it is different in every country and I used the german Type 405 Flour which is roughly equal to the American All Purpose I'd imagine. The brand I use has increased protein count coming in at 12.8g per 100g. It was the highest I could find and sadly local stores don't have any flour that would be equal to the american bread flour and importing flour from the United States is too expensive.

Regardless of the flour difference I am somewhat happy about how the dough turns out, but I am not quite happy with the sauce and crust flavor. Lets start with the crust. I am not sure how to describe the Pizza Hut Pan Pizza crust flavor, I only had Pizza Hut once in the last 10 years and it probably differs a lot based on region. I imagine it tastes slightly different in the US/EU because they have to rely on regional products so my expectation of what a Pizza Hut pizza should taste like it is not the same as it is for other people.

I am pretty certain Pizza Hut uses oil on their crust to get that shiny look and have the crust be soft and easy to bite. I tried some garlic oil but it was not as flavorful as I hoped it would be. I think the Pizza Hut flavor might be somewhat more buttery? Correct me if I am mistaken, but if I had to guess I'd say they use garlic butter oil/spray on the crust. Not sure if you could substitute that with actual garlic butter which is heated so it becomes easy to spread on the crust and then baked. I might try that the next time or simply olive oil/soybean oil/sunflower oil. Any of those are still for me to be tested.

Secondly the sauce. I think getting the sauce right must be the hardest part of copying Pizza Chains. It seems that many pizza chains are using tomato paste (mixed with water) to get a base for the sauce + any combination of salt, sugar, oregano, basil, garlic powder, onion powder maybe even black pepper and celery salt depending on the pizza chain.
Whenever I try to make pizza sauce based on tomato paste I feel like it is too bitter even when I add sugar to it. I would love to know what tomato paste Pizza Hut is actually using in the US, because here most stores carry 3-times concentrated tomato paste which tastes extremely bitter. I would assume it is roughly the same. The stuff I buy has a dark red color. Even when mixed with water it is still much darker than normal tomato sauce you would make from fresh tomatoes or canned peeled tomato.

I am going to be experimenting a bit with it the next weeks/months and try to get closer to that Pizza Hut flavor I remember I got from that small pan Pizza back some 10-20 years ago. Sadly that Pizza Hut closed in my city leaving my city with 0 Pizza Hut stores so I could only get it when I travel.

Cheese is another thing to think about. Are they just using plain shredded mozzarella or do they add parmesan/provolone etc. to it aswell? Maybe they are spraying garlic butter oil aswell on the cheese. I might be going to Pizza Hut next week and I will make sure to try to find out the distinct flavors of cheese, sauce and crust and try to remember it when I try to reverse engineer it at home.

Offline PentiumIIPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #385 on: March 25, 2019, 03:01:51 AM »
Everyone seems to be using vegetable oil (soybean oil) in both dough and pan for this recipe, unfortunately soybean oil is not available in my country. I'm able to buy the following oils:

Corn oil
Sunflower oil
Rapeseed oil, refined (canola oil)

Can I use any of these instead?

Offline PentiumIIPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #386 on: March 28, 2019, 03:58:37 AM »
At the store I found a product that was 74% canola oil and 23% butter. That sounded good to me as it would be great if the crust gets a buttery taste. Now I will see in a few days if it was a bad choice.

Offline IEatPizzaByThePie

• Everybody knows the rules.
« Reply #387 on: March 30, 2019, 08:39:27 PM »
If you cannot source vegetable (soybean) oil, the next best choice would be canola oil. It has similar cooking properties and a neutral flavor. Corn oil would be my second pick. It is popular among the Chicago crowd.

Shortening is another vegetable oil option, however, I tend not to use it much as it can produce an overly soft crust.

Olive oil is another good choice, but it will impart some flavor in the end result. Extra virgin olive oil, too, although it will contribute a very noticeable flavor and tends to brown the crust aggressively.

I hope that helps.
"Who the hell eats two cookies? I eat Fig Newtons by the sleeve. Two sleeves is a serving size."

Offline MadMatt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #388 on: March 31, 2019, 05:05:18 PM »
Everyone seems to be using vegetable oil (soybean oil) in both dough and pan for this recipe, unfortunately soybean oil is not available in my country. I'm able to buy the following oils:

Corn oil
Sunflower oil
Rapeseed oil, refined (canola oil)

Can I use any of these instead?

Use rapeseed oil it should just be cheap regular cooking oil its what they use in our Pizza Hut pan pizza as well as others like Dominos.

Here in the UK the two common cheap cooking oil is vegetable oil   (rapeseed ingredient on the back of the label)        and sunflower oil

Rapeseed and canola oil is same thing as far as I can tell at least here in the UK.

Of course you can buy higher grade rapeseed oil I just use the cheap stuff I doubt theres anything quality about what they use in fast food joints.

Offline PentiumIIPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #389 on: April 10, 2019, 03:50:16 AM »
The information I have found regarding pizza and canola oil is somewhat contradictory. Some say it's completely neutral in flavor and others say that it has a weird taste they can't stand, and should not be used in pizza. Could it be that they used cold-pressed canola instead of refined?

Another thing is smoke point of the oils. Could that be a problem?

Canola, refined = 204C (400F)
Corn, refined = 232C (450F)

Offline julius_sanders

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #390 on: April 24, 2019, 06:33:28 PM »
I have a question: you let it rise in the pan, then did the cold ferment? Or did I understand something wrong?
Thank you :)

Alright, I made the recipe and it turned out well I feel!

For the dough I used Pete-zza's revised formula here: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4607.msg38909.html#msg38909
Bread flour for flour and vegetable (which I checked ingredients to find was Soybean) oil for oil.

For the sauce I used Jackie Tran's recipe here: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=4452.msg412244#msg412244

I don't know the 80s PH Pans as a point of reference, but it is delicious all the same. Baked for around 15 minutes at 470f in a pan, on a baking stone (oven had been preheated for 55 minutes) 1 rack higher than the middle of my oven. Initial room temperature ferment was about 2-2.5 hours - I wasn't sure how long to expect, so I periodically checked in on it until it had risen enough to fill out the pan. It then cold fermented for roughly 16 hours (7 30-ish PM Friday until 11 30am Saturday). I let the dough and sauce then rest at room temperature for an hour while the oven was preheating.

Had issues rolling it out into a circle (I wonder if it should be fully degassed?) so the surface was pretty uneven, but the fermenting helped that a lot it seems (still there's lots of dips and peaks in the dough surface, so something to work on for next time for sure). I was really stressed about getting it into a circle for pan-fermentation, was this necessary? Would it have filled out evenly as long as it was just in a vaguely oval/circle ship with a consistent thickness?

I think I used too much oil, so I will rein that in next time, I had to let the pizza rest on a big bundle of paper towels for a few minutes when pulling it out due to me worrying about having the oil envelop the entire bottom of the pan which I think would have happened when the dough expanded over time anyway. The sausage tasted a bit off, but that was just due to my choice in type/brand I think, so I'll have to look into what kinds of sausage are good for pizza toppings.

Offline julius_sanders

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #391 on: April 24, 2019, 06:37:49 PM »
Which brand of flour did you found with such a high protein content?

If you are searching something stronger, I recommend you to order the caputo manitoba, which is still a little bit expensive but it is a high quality flour, and with his really high protein content of 14,5 % you can mix it with other flours :)

https://www.gustini.de/caputo-farina-tipo-0-manitoba.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwkoDmBRCcARIsAG3xzl94nXjpus0gGMkHvPlbcL1pDNrAajOFpI3z_WcCi6V5ewFYGr2250IaApEfEALw_wcB

Thanks for the recipes and information sharing in this thread.  It has been of great help for my dough and especially the preparation/shaping/fermentation of the dough. I am not completely sure if I got the right Flour because it is different in every country and I used the german Type 405 Flour which is roughly equal to the American All Purpose I'd imagine. The brand I use has increased protein count coming in at 12.8g per 100g. It was the highest I could find and sadly local stores don't have any flour that would be equal to the american bread flour and importing flour from the United States is too expensive.

Regardless of the flour difference I am somewhat happy about how the dough turns out, but I am not quite happy with the sauce and crust flavor. Lets start with the crust. I am not sure how to describe the Pizza Hut Pan Pizza crust flavor, I only had Pizza Hut once in the last 10 years and it probably differs a lot based on region. I imagine it tastes slightly different in the US/EU because they have to rely on regional products so my expectation of what a Pizza Hut pizza should taste like it is not the same as it is for other people.

I am pretty certain Pizza Hut uses oil on their crust to get that shiny look and have the crust be soft and easy to bite. I tried some garlic oil but it was not as flavorful as I hoped it would be. I think the Pizza Hut flavor might be somewhat more buttery? Correct me if I am mistaken, but if I had to guess I'd say they use garlic butter oil/spray on the crust. Not sure if you could substitute that with actual garlic butter which is heated so it becomes easy to spread on the crust and then baked. I might try that the next time or simply olive oil/soybean oil/sunflower oil. Any of those are still for me to be tested.

Secondly the sauce. I think getting the sauce right must be the hardest part of copying Pizza Chains. It seems that many pizza chains are using tomato paste (mixed with water) to get a base for the sauce + any combination of salt, sugar, oregano, basil, garlic powder, onion powder maybe even black pepper and celery salt depending on the pizza chain.
Whenever I try to make pizza sauce based on tomato paste I feel like it is too bitter even when I add sugar to it. I would love to know what tomato paste Pizza Hut is actually using in the US, because here most stores carry 3-times concentrated tomato paste which tastes extremely bitter. I would assume it is roughly the same. The stuff I buy has a dark red color. Even when mixed with water it is still much darker than normal tomato sauce you would make from fresh tomatoes or canned peeled tomato.

I am going to be experimenting a bit with it the next weeks/months and try to get closer to that Pizza Hut flavor I remember I got from that small pan Pizza back some 10-20 years ago. Sadly that Pizza Hut closed in my city leaving my city with 0 Pizza Hut stores so I could only get it when I travel.

Cheese is another thing to think about. Are they just using plain shredded mozzarella or do they add parmesan/provolone etc. to it aswell? Maybe they are spraying garlic butter oil aswell on the cheese. I might be going to Pizza Hut next week and I will make sure to try to find out the distinct flavors of cheese, sauce and crust and try to remember it when I try to reverse engineer it at home.

Offline MadMatt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #392 on: April 27, 2019, 04:48:28 AM »
Making my first attempt tonight  though I weighed dough ball and it was 21.5oz instead of 22oz  it was actually 22oz before kneading  how do you lose .5 oz  from kneading by hand.   :-\

I had troubling rolling it out and the dough ended up flopping over itself so didn't quite get a perfect circle or thickness but lets hope it fills out in the pan ok. 

[edit] well this is gonna be a disaster  despite putting it in a warmer place than should need for the rise I don't think its spread out much, not hit the sides. I probably should have measured what size it was before putting it in there  probably  should have got it to 12.

Loads of oil found its way to the top.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 10:47:59 AM by MadMatt »

Offline MadMatt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #393 on: April 27, 2019, 01:09:48 PM »
Well just got done eating it and

Tastes like fried bread with sauce and cheese on it tbh        my father enjoyed it but I didn't like it

Too much oil  its been a few years since I had pizza hut here in the uk but I'm sure it wasn't quite that oily.      1/2 cup for 14" right?     

The pizza was about 1 inch thick after baking   actually it didn't seem much thicker than the petezza papa johns recipe (about 20oz  vs 22oz from my memory)      but a bit lighter as it had more air from proofing in it and softer due to the huge amounts of oil soaked in the dough.

I question if its worth putting oil in the dough itself    all the oil in the bottom gets soaked up anyway.     

I only took a few pics

Bottom came out nicely

I baked about 190c in a fan oven on steel, which I preheated hotter     for 14-15 minutes.
I made all kinds of mistakes like rolling it out uneven,  I didn't roll it out nearly big enough so it never actually hit the sides without me stretching it a bit in the pan which in turn pushed the dough down on the oil making oil cover the top of the dough.

Pizza topping was blend of mozzarella and cheddar

spanish chorizo slices.. gone totally off them, need to find a good peppeorni in the UK (give me some suggestions)

I took some pics of the crumb but can't make out anything from all the red sauce and orangey grease  :-D
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 01:33:14 PM by MadMatt »

Offline MadMatt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #394 on: June 10, 2019, 06:10:40 PM »
Anyone in the US tried the new improved pan pizza? I've seen various reviews of people hating it. I'm addicted to those youtube channels of people eating especially pizza. :D

Don't you hate when they improve things and make it worse.  ::)

Offline Jakew81

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #395 on: June 10, 2019, 08:37:12 PM »
Today I found myself at the Vet Clinic with my dog, in a strip mall, next door to a Pizza Hut.  Fancy signage about "back to the original pan pizza" or some such nonsense and "$7.99 if you order online". Suddenly I had decided what was going to be dinner.  I expected to be disappointed, but was hopeful that just maybe I would be transported back to the 1980's.  I did just treat my wife to the New Kids On The Block mixtape tour last night after all, and have been reminiscing on our youth all day.  I was not disappointed about being disappointed.  Toppings were the same as I remember from the last time I had a pizza hut pizza years ago. The crust however was seriously lacking in flavor.  Very little flavor at all.  Very very soft, no crunch, very little oil.  Didn't even taste any oil.  Isn't that the point?  The shape of the rim makes me think that a dough press was used to push the dough in to the pan. Decent airy structure but no crunch or chew.   It appears that the dough did proof in the pan, but the part that I found the most strange is that the pan the crust seems to have proofed in had ridges to delineate slices.  Every slice had a line on the bottom.  One it was ultimately not cut along.  Not great, but not terrible.  Also not worth a penny more than $7.99.
Time you enjoy wasting has not been wasted time!

Offline Carmine Abramo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #396 on: June 13, 2019, 10:11:20 PM »
Very very soft, no crunch, very little oil.  Didn't even taste any oil.  Isn't that the point?  The shape of the rim makes me think that a dough press was used to push the dough in to the pan. Decent airy structure but no crunch or chew.

It would be difficult to get any delivery or carryout pizza to retain crunch inside a pizza box for 15-30 min especially in the pan pizza genre.  That said I've tried the new formula.  It's an improvement over the doughy, dense crust they sold for nearly 2 decades.  I forget what the original of the 70's and 80's tasted like but this new pizza does remind me of a Jet's crust when eaten right out of the pan at a restaurant or reheated back there is noticeable crispy undercrust and a soft airy chew like an East coast sicilian pizza and as such, easier to eat than before.  The sauce is fresher and tangier than the past and the pizza is considerably less greasy most likely because of the move to a part skim mozzarella.  Also there is less oil and butter in the pan.  All in all, an improvement but probably won't last.

I'm also aware of inconsistency between PH chains, I visited a sit down restaurant so other people's pizza experiences may differ.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 10:18:40 PM by Carmine Abramo »

Offline Jakew81

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #397 on: June 14, 2019, 02:56:58 PM »
It would be difficult to get any delivery or carryout pizza to retain crunch inside a pizza box for 15-30 min especially in the pan pizza genre. 

This pizza was in the box 5-7 minutes tops.  I was there when it came out and live just a couple blocks away.  This pizza was never crispy.  I haven't seen a sit down pizza hut in years.  Not an option near me as far as I know, however I wouldn't seek it out if it were.  I will say that I agree it is better than what they had before and after my initial review it did grow on me a little more. Made for pretty good cold leftovers the next day.  Yes the sauce is pretty flavorful and it's not the grease bomb Pizza Hut had been serving before. I would probably get it again now that I'm revisiting the experience. 
Time you enjoy wasting has not been wasted time!

Offline Carmine Abramo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #398 on: June 14, 2019, 04:25:26 PM »
Video of a sit down pizza hut for anyone who's interested. 

« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 04:31:38 PM by Carmine Abramo »

Offline Carmine Abramo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #399 on: June 14, 2019, 04:38:08 PM »

This pizza was in the box 5-7 minutes tops.  I was there when it came out and live just a couple blocks away.  This pizza was never crispy.  I haven't seen a sit down pizza hut in years.  Not an option near me as far as I know, however I wouldn't seek it out if it were.  I will say that I agree it is better than what they had before and after my initial review it did grow on me a little more. Made for pretty good cold leftovers the next day.  Yes the sauce is pretty flavorful and it's not the grease bomb Pizza Hut had been serving before. I would probably get it again now that I'm revisiting the experience.

I see the odd slice perforation that you explained.  PH's vary widely between stores in terms of consistency, we all know that.  You could also ask for a more well done bake for a crispier crust as I believe light brown is the standard protocol and all that steam tends to soften the pizza considerably.  I took half my pie from the sit down restaurant home and it reheated really well later in the evening in the toaster oven and got a nice recrunch.   Agree about cold the next day, was pretty good for breakfast.  I'm not a big chain pizza fan, but will re order it and part of me has a soft spot for PH, was a big part of my childhood when it was great.  Their wings are pretty good as well, they're deep fried to order as opposed to baked and held in heat lamps which the other chains do.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 04:45:51 PM by Carmine Abramo »

wordpress