A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: pizza with sea food?  (Read 8794 times)

Offline La Sera

Re: pizza with sea food?
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2012, 06:03:53 PM »
My two most popular pizzas are a pesto-based garlic shrimp with onions and olives (topped with plenty of ground pepper out of the oven), and smoked salmon and cream cheese accent (along with mozzarella and gouda and some secret veggies) topped with thin threads of a wasabi-mayonnaise mixture.

My specials next month are a squid and shrimp with baby asparagus, and an anchovy with wafer-thin slices of seasoned blanched potato with onions on a white sauce. No tomato sauce on the anchovy version.

I have a crab meat pizza in December. Yum! It's also a white sauce style.

(Added: I use no raw meats or seafood. I precook everything. We're relentlessly clean in our kitchens, but a commercial pizza kitchen has too many hands touching too many toppings during peak times. The risk of cross contamination is too high for me. I won't allow it. Cooking at home is different, though.)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 06:15:52 PM by La Sera »

Offline rcbaughn

• Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2012, 06:18:32 AM »
I just saw this thread, but I tend to think that seafood on pizza shouldn't be paired with a tomato sauce. I just don't think it works that well at all. Every pie I've made with some sort of fish or seafood used a white sauce or a pesto base, or just a simple olive oil slick. Maybe I'm off base not liking tomato sauces with seafood or haven't prepared it correctly.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline Cajunman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2018, 11:55:49 PM »
My Crawfish and Andouille pie with Robiola cheese finished with fresh green onion.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2018, 01:01:52 PM »
My Crawfish and Andouille pie with Robiola cheese finished with fresh green onion.

Very nice.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2018, 06:50:05 PM »
I donít know why seafood and tomato sauce couldnít work. Think of Cioppino. Finding the right cheese pairing and amount would concern me more.
-Tony

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2018, 09:52:48 PM »
I donít know why seafood and tomato sauce couldnít work. Think of Cioppino. Finding the right cheese pairing and amount would concern me more.

Very common in Italy and throughout Europe...red sauce on a Frutti Di Mare pizza.

Just thought I'd throw that out here.

Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2018, 09:55:25 PM »
It's beautiful, that being said, it 'EFFIN HATE shells and other inedible SH^T on pizza.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2018, 10:43:36 PM »
It's beautiful, that being said, it 'EFFIN HATE shells and other inedible SH^T on pizza.

And that, my friend, is the difference between you and the Mediterranean way  ;D

All joking aside, a pizza with shellfish of any kind as a topping is a culinary experience, imho. The flavor is also better since the shells protect the innards from drying out.

Either way, to each his/her own and one should only make what they are comfortable with or what is preferred.
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2018, 10:47:40 PM »
I can't imagine picking through all the inedible crap on that first pie to get to the pizza.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2018, 10:48:42 PM »
And I eat shrimp shells and tails. They are my favorite parts!

Offline Satyen

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2018, 12:39:11 AM »
Hahaha! As much as i agree with craig... thats a beautiful lookin pie and definately something i will attempt next time i bake!

Offline Cajunman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2020, 11:09:46 PM »
Old post I see but it will never go away so..
Here is my Crawfish and Andoille with Robiola cheese and post oven green onions.

Offline mattjonesphotography

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2020, 10:12:55 AM »
Has anyone tried adding a spoonful or two of clam juice to their tomato sauce to bump up the seafood flavor? We add clam juice to our micheladas in Baja Mexico and the flavor is incredible. I'm willing to bet it would be the same and I will try it at some point this summer for sure. Might have to cut back on the salt however.

Offline jsaras

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2020, 12:27:54 PM »
Pizza tonno (tuna) is a classic.  Here are 10 ways to make it: https://www.silviocicchi.com/pizzachef/10-modi-di-preparare-la-pizza-tonno/?lang=en
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2020, 02:34:18 PM »
Pizza tonno (tuna) is a classic.  Here are 10 ways to make it: https://www.silviocicchi.com/pizzachef/10-modi-di-preparare-la-pizza-tonno/?lang=en

My best man spent 8 years in Germany in the Air Force.  He mentioned tuna pizza he had there and asked me to make it.  I had no idea what he was talking about (pre www days).  I think I did a white pie with bechamel and mozzarella.  It was damn good.  The olives sound really good.
John

Offline rascali

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2020, 10:20:18 PM »
Has anyone tried adding a spoonful or two of clam juice to their tomato sauce to bump up the seafood flavor? We add clam juice to our micheladas in Baja Mexico and the flavor is incredible. I'm willing to bet it would be the same and I will try it at some point this summer for sure. Might have to cut back on the salt however.

I like to sprinkle a little clam broth on the top of my clam pie, it evaporates quickly, but imbues the cheese with a very special brinny-ness that is compelling.

Oh, yes - fish and red sauce, how about the classic anchovy pie?  Or the more modern Puttanesca pie?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 10:22:45 PM by rascali »

wordpress