A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: "Detroit Style" - Buddy's or Shield's  (Read 332220 times)

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Re: "Detroit Style" - Buddy's or Shield's
« Reply #620 on: April 02, 2016, 09:39:09 AM »
They do look quite authentic.
Hans

Offline Black Tie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #621 on: January 26, 2017, 11:26:11 AM »
You guys are amazing! I have been making the best pizzas using the formula in post 199 - thank you Pizza Hog. One quick question... the only thing I think my pizza lacks is a bit of a char on the sausage or pepperoni sitting on the top. Is this because I am baking on the bottom rack of the oven?   

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #622 on: January 26, 2017, 11:30:34 AM »
Put it under the broiler for the last minute or so.
Hans

Offline Black Tie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #623 on: January 26, 2017, 11:41:59 AM »
Ok Thanks Hans ;D

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #624 on: January 26, 2017, 11:49:46 AM »
Ok Thanks Hans ;D

Your pizza looks good by the way!
Hans

Offline Black Tie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #625 on: January 26, 2017, 11:53:17 AM »
Thank you

Offline cup-o-pizza

« Reply #626 on: August 13, 2017, 09:08:51 PM »
Had a craving for a Detroit-style pizza today, so I used a very slightly modified version of PizzaHog's dough formulation from Reply #199. The only thing I did differently with my dough was split the flour 50:50 between KABF and cake flour. I also added 2% LDMP. This was hands down the best Detroit-style pizza I've made. The crust was airy and light with a nice crispiness along the edges. 10/10 - will make again!

Matt

Navin R. Johnson: "Oh, this is the best pizza in a cup ever. This guy is unbelievable. He ran the old Cup 'o Pizza guy out of business."

Offline tjkoko

« Reply #627 on: September 24, 2017, 12:15:53 PM »
Finally the basics are all together so here is my recipe for Detroit Style Pie.
I attempted to incorporate as much of the info contained in this thread as possible.  Sort of trying to imagine how one of these pizzerias would pump out the dough and pies every day.  Whenever in doubt I referred to the KISS theory.  I also tried to use easily findable ingredients for everyone's convenience.  In the end this is a simple and forgiving dough but the devil was in the other details.
No scale, all measurements textbook method.

Flour (100%):    273.04 g  |  9.63 oz | 0.6 lbs               2C + 3 T
Water (75%):    204.78 g  |  7.22 oz | 0.45 lbs            ¾ C + 1 T + 2 ½ t
IDY (0.55%):    1.5 g | 0.05 oz | 0 lbs | 0.5 tsp | 0.17 tbsp      ½ t
Salt (1.5%):    4.1 g | 0.14 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.73 tsp | 0.24 tbsp   ¾ t
Total (177.05%):   483.42 g | 17.05 oz | 1.07 lbs | TF = 0.1218

KAAP, table salt, tap water, KA mixer with "C" dough hook, 10x14 black steel pan.
Dissolve salt in water, add flour, sprinkle IDY on top.  Mix on lowest speed until incorporated then continue on this speed for a 8 min knead.  20 mins rest to relax then scrape into greased pan, spread, cover, rise, dress and bake on bottom oven rack for 15 min at 475..........................

I've been bread baking since 2000 and your specifying an 8 minute knead really took my doughs to the next level.  Up until I read this post I've always kneaded bread dough in my Hobart N50 mixer for around 3 minutes.  Not any more.

And your pizza recipe works great for me.  SPOT ON!!!!!  8)   :chef: :chef: :chef: ;D

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Home bread baker for 10 years.

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
« Reply #628 on: October 07, 2017, 10:45:09 AM »
Hello everyone.

First off, I have to commend every poster in this thread.

Every picture and recipe, is great in their own right. Great work everyone, they all look Delicious!
Most of you could probably open pizza places, and make a living. Again, great work!

A little background on me first.

I grew up in Detroit, within walking distance of Shield's, and about a miles walk to the original Buddy's, on 7 and Conant.
My Mother tells me, that my first taste of Buddy's, was when I was 1 month old. I guess you could say I was weened on Buddy's pizza.  :-*

Every pizza I have, until this day, I compare to Buddy's pizza.
I Have been around the world, several times. I have even had pizza in Italy, the birth place of pizza I guess, but it does not compare to that sweet, not too thick, not to flat, square piece of heaven, that is Buddy's pizza, from Detroit.
Most all pizza I have had, has been good, but some should not even be called pizza.  >:D

In my early years, I was a professional cook, pizza maker, and head dishwasher, at many restaurants in Detroit, and beyond. I have made many, many attempts, at reproducing the original Buddy's pizza. All to no avail, close, but not the same.

Enough about me.

I had an Aunt, who worked at Buddy's, at the original Conant location, in the mid 70's, for a couple of summers. She had mentioned to me, and my family, on more than one occasion, some of the secrets of the Buddy's pizza, but not enough.

I remember that she had mentioned that there was cheese, in the dough. Not just in the crust, but in the actual preparation of the dough. "When the dough was made, a dry powdery cheese was added". Now I take that to mean that there was an addition of something dry, like Parmesan, being added to the dough, as it was mixed. Now do not take this as gospel, it is just what was I told. I was a kid, I was told lots of things.  ;D But I do, until this day, add Parmesan to my dough. It's good, and I do notice a difference in taste, when I do not add it.

Reading through the thread, there are some things that I know for a fact, that are true.
All Buddy's pizzas are made in seasoned, dark metal pans, and they are not washed. (just wiped clean between uses.)
Oil is bushed into the pans, before the dough is placed into the pans. ( I have seen it.)

What I do not know for fact, and I just remember being told.
The cheese is a mix of, brick, cheddar, provolone, and mozzarella.  Cubed, (cheese is used as the crust, pressed into the corners and sides, and spread into the pan lightly, as dough is placed into pan)
Oven temps, when they used pizza ovens, were high, 600+ degrees. But they now use conveyor, impinger type ovens.

I can not, to this day, reproduce it.

Luckily, I live only about 3 1/2 hours from the nearest Buddy's pizza. I frequent the store in Auburn Hill's, just off I-75, next to Oakland University.

The taste and texture does change, from location to location. But I assume that is because each location is not identical, like say a domino's or a pizza hut, where each location is an exact a reproduction of another kitchen.

More to come.

Thanks,
-Deano

I was reading this post from 7 years ago and I didn't understand how the cheese was being put in the pan. I don't know if Deano is still active so Im asking the whole pizzamaking.com crowd what it means...

"The cheese is a mix of, brick, cheddar, provolone, and mozzarella.  Cubed, (cheese is used as the crust, pressed into the corners and sides, and spread into the pan lightly, as dough is placed into pan)"

Is Deano saying cubed cheese is put down in the pan before the dough is put in the pan?
Was cubed cheese put into the corners and sides of the pan before the dough was put in the pan?
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #629 on: October 07, 2017, 10:49:55 AM »
No, dough goes in first. I posted some photos here: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=42012.0
Hans

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
« Reply #630 on: October 07, 2017, 11:00:55 AM »
No, dough goes in first. I posted some photos here: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=42012.0

Ok but what does this mean?

"....Cubed, (cheese is used as the crust, pressed into the corners and sides, and spread into the pan lightly, as dough is placed into pan)"

Cheese is used as crust?
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #631 on: October 07, 2017, 11:10:21 AM »
I have no idea what he meant. Buddy's definitely does not use cheese as the crust. They put it on similar to the way I do. Maybe he'll chime in.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 11:12:32 AM by HBolte »
Hans

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #632 on: October 07, 2017, 12:00:05 PM »
Ok but what does this mean?

"....Cubed, (cheese is used as the crust, pressed into the corners and sides, and spread into the pan lightly, as dough is placed into pan)"

Cheese is used as crust?

I think the OP wasn't adequately distinguishing between the cheese crust (around the edges) and the crust/crumb (baked dough).  Maybe more powdered cheese in the pan? Yeah. it still doesn't make any sense.   :-D

Earlier in the same post...

I remember that she had mentioned that there was cheese, in the dough. Not just in the crust, but in the actual preparation of the dough. "When the dough was made, a dry powdery cheese was added". Now I take that to mean that there was an addition of something dry, like Parmesan, being added to the dough, as it was mixed. Now do not take this as gospel, it is just what was I told. I was a kid, I was told lots of things.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 12:03:02 PM by vtsteve »
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline buenokid

« Reply #633 on: November 04, 2017, 10:22:03 PM »
I was reading this post from 7 years ago and I didn't understand how the cheese was being put in the pan. I don't know if Deano is still active so Im asking the whole pizzamaking.com crowd what it means...

"The cheese is a mix of, brick, cheddar, provolone, and mozzarella.  Cubed, (cheese is used as the crust, pressed into the corners and sides, and spread into the pan lightly, as dough is placed into pan)"

Is Deano saying cubed cheese is put down in the pan before the dough is put in the pan?
Was cubed cheese put into the corners and sides of the pan before the dough was put in the pan?

From my understanding you take the white cheddar to the edges of the pan so you get those crisp, raised edges as the cheese caramelizes. I think I put too much white cheddar around the edge of my pizza, but using the recipe in post #199 made of the tastiest pizzas I've ever made.

It seemed like I could have used quite a bit more dough for a 10 x 14 pan though that recipe was used with a 10 x 14 pan.

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #634 on: November 09, 2017, 08:23:00 PM »

Offline buenokid

« Reply #635 on: November 11, 2017, 06:12:41 PM »

That was a good video. Thanks for sharing!

I'm making the recipe from reply #199 again tonight. I did about 73% hydration but everything else was the same. I'm worried the dough was a little too cold to rise properly for a 3-4 proof.

I might post an update if it turns out well.

EDIT: Results.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 08:21:27 PM by buenokid »

wordpress