A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Detroit Style - My way  (Read 33229 times)

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Re: Detroit Style - My way
« Reply #280 on: May 26, 2020, 06:36:19 PM »
Upped the hydration from 70% to 85% and 48 CF. The crust seemed lighter and crisper.

Hans

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #281 on: May 26, 2020, 10:19:38 PM »
 ;D

Offline vincentoc13

« Reply #282 on: May 27, 2020, 12:34:05 AM »
Hans, do you like the higher hydration dough better?

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #283 on: May 27, 2020, 07:07:47 AM »
Hans, do you like the higher hydration dough better?

Hmm. Not quite sure. It was definitely good, I'll do a side by side comparison soon. If you try it, let us know what you think.
Hans

Offline lesagemike

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #284 on: May 27, 2020, 07:21:56 AM »
I'm going to have to try that! Looks great Hans.

Online naval2006

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #285 on: May 27, 2020, 09:01:18 AM »
Hi

I made last night my first Detroit with HansB's recipe from the first post.  I only added a bit of dyastatic malt because I made a straight dough that let bulk ferment for three hours at RT and then two hours in pan.  I spread the pan with ghee and then brushed oil. 

I topped with pepperoni, mozzarella cheese (I can't get any of the cheeses you have in the US) and mid-baking I poured the sauce to avoid the raw dough not rising with so much tomato sauce.

I've never had the original Detroit pizza and I've only seen it in pics and used all the info here and Peter Reinhart's on Pan Pizza to replicate this type.

I don't even know if it looks like Detroit but I can tell you it was delicious.  The kids were the proof.

Thanks for all the posts that allow pizza makers try out new recipes and get so much knowledge from a lot of experienced members.

Cheers,

Alex

Offline vincentoc13

« Reply #286 on: May 27, 2020, 09:52:49 AM »
The pie looks great!!  You said you didn't want to add sauce first because it doesn't rise, is that through experience from a previous pie?

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #287 on: May 27, 2020, 10:41:03 AM »
Hi

I made last night my first Detroit with HansB's recipe from the first post.  I only added a bit of dyastatic malt because I made a straight dough that let bulk ferment for three hours at RT and then two hours in pan.  I spread the pan with ghee and then brushed oil. 

I topped with pepperoni, mozzarella cheese (I can't get any of the cheeses you have in the US) and mid-baking I poured the sauce to avoid the raw dough not rising with so much tomato sauce.

I've never had the original Detroit pizza and I've only seen it in pics and used all the info here and Peter Reinhart's on Pan Pizza to replicate this type.

I don't even know if it looks like Detroit but I can tell you it was delicious.  The kids were the proof.

Thanks for all the posts that allow pizza makers try out new recipes and get so much knowledge from a lot of experienced members.

Cheers,

Alex

Excellent! Take a look at Post #115, I'm using LDMP in that formula.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 10:43:01 AM by HansB »
Hans

Offline vincentoc13

« Reply #288 on: May 27, 2020, 02:11:38 PM »
Hans, this is from your recipe using LDMP, I'm definitely gonna try the higher hydration dough on the next bake.  Thank you so much for your recipes! My family loves this style of pizza.

Online naval2006

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #289 on: May 27, 2020, 02:48:02 PM »
The pie looks great!!  You said you didn't want to add sauce first because it doesn't rise, is that through experience from a previous pie?

Iíve noticed some pizzas with a bit of a furrow right under the sauce. I thought it was because this being a high hydration formula when you place too much wet weight on it the raw dough yields somehow. Itís happened to me while trying out baking and parbaking high hydration pies. Anyway this is probably being fussy about it LOL.  And I may not even be right.  But just in case, because I love loading the ladle.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #290 on: May 27, 2020, 04:52:39 PM »
Hans, this is from your recipe using LDMP, I'm definitely gonna try the higher hydration dough on the next bake.  Thank you so much for your recipes! My family loves this style of pizza.

Wow!!   :o.    I'd love some of that.... Nice job!   :chef::drool:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline vincentoc13

« Reply #291 on: May 27, 2020, 06:32:16 PM »
Thanks! The family is saying they like this as much as the pies that come out of my WFO, I dont know how to take that :-D

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #292 on: May 27, 2020, 07:18:12 PM »

You're very welcome. That pizza would get raves in Detroit!
Hans

Offline vincentoc13

« Reply #293 on: May 27, 2020, 10:28:43 PM »
You're very welcome. That pizza would get raves in Detroit!
Much appreciated thanks!!

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #294 on: Today at 07:16:10 PM »
My attempts at this recipe. First try was a fail, except leftovers went on baking steel @ 550F and got nice and crispy in a few minutes. (my previous Detroit attempts with different formulas were 50% fails)

Second attempt today was much better. What I changed up was more dough per pan than I did the first time, longer warmer ferment and put the pan on the baking steel instead of just the oven rack.

It's far from my favorite style but overall was excellent.

btw - I use far less cheese than most people and don't get that burnt crusty edge that is loved so if you want you can get me kicked out of the Detroit lovers club. :-D

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #295 on: Today at 07:42:04 PM »
Close enough!
Hans