A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!  (Read 654318 times)

Offline Omega1379

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!
« Reply #2860 on: July 14, 2018, 10:35:22 AM »
Once again, I really appreciate everything.  8)

Dough is in the fridge thawing for tonight. Can't wait!

Offline Omega1379

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2861 on: July 15, 2018, 12:23:26 PM »
Once again, my formulation was a hit!

I made some changes and I achieved a nice airy and chewy crust. I think it would have been better if I gave it 2-3 mins less of a cook time. My method was I preheated a stone to 500F, then lowered the temp to 450F and baked it for 30 mins.

My modifications to the formulation was: 8% seminola, 98% KABF and 2% VWG, 1% butter, 1 tbsp of olive oil, 1.5% honey.

Pics: https://imgur.com/a/BoTOkdS

Sorry for the glare and lack of focus. I was too hungry to attempt to take a better photo :)

Iíll take some more tonight.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 03:20:22 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline skipreid45

• It's always Pizza Night
« Reply #2862 on: July 25, 2018, 12:45:13 PM »
skipreid45,

Yes, I have some of those new Detroit style pans and used one last week.  It was already seasoned, but still stuck.  Would need to be seasoned more before it wouldn't stick on the edges.  Am using round Allied steel pans now.  Good luck to you when you make your Detroit style pizzas.  :)

Norma

I made 2 a few weeks ago. I made a traditional Detroiter and an italian sausage and onion pie. Everyone has seen a pepperoni pie, so I just included pics of the sausage and onion version. I thought it turned out good. I would still like to get the cheese around the edges more caramelized.

This dough was 69% hydration. 37 hour CF and 8 hour RTF.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 12:46:50 PM by skipreid45 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #2863 on: August 28, 2018, 07:46:04 AM »
Just am reporting on another frozen Detroit style pizza, since I tried a Buddy's frozen pizza at Reply 526 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=21559.msg225586#msg225586  and Steve's Reply at 553 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=21559.msg225660#msg225660

Outsiders Pizza Company.  https://www.outsiderspizza.com/products.html  Walter told me they sell the frozen Detroit style pizzas at Safeway and Raley's in Reno.  Saw on facebook yesterday that someone mentioned to Derrick Tung that Target also sells them. https://www.target.com/c/frozen-pizza-foods-grocery/outsiders-pizza-company/-/N-5xsz4Zjwerf

Think if someone can make their own Detroit style pizza it would be a lot better.  :)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2864 on: January 01, 2019, 06:42:43 AM »
Just reporting am still using the dough formulation on this thread when making pizzas in round pans.  Dough is so easy to spread into the pans.  Also made a couple of adjustments in freezing the dough right after it is made, then thawing it out a day before it is used. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2865 on: February 04, 2019, 06:47:19 AM »
Received this email from Shawn yesterday.  Things sure sound exciting for him in the Detroit pizza world and all he is doing.  :D

Hi Norma Knepp Norma\'s Pizza at Root\'s Country Market,

Hope all is well! If you asked me a handful of years ago if I thought Detroit Style Pizza would bring me to the middle east, I would have thought you were crazy. Here I am working on a pizza project helping a new concept develop their menu. This is my seventh day in Kuwait and let me tell you it is nothing what I expected. It is very different from the states, but the people are very nice, and the architect is a sight to see. Went to a mall the other day that cost over 3 billion dollars to build, "The Avenues", which hosts 27 Starbucks to give you an idea of its massive size. The inside reminds me of NYC or Vegas it is so digitalized and extremely modern. I could go on and on about so much, the weather, the beaches, the culture, the food and so on and so on.

Okay, enough about Kuwait as I will be sharing some of my experiences on Detroit Style Pizza Channel (DSPC.tv) in the coming weeks. If you have not yet subscribed, please do so and click the bell to receive notifications when we post new videos. There are many videos in the pipeline we are working on.

Are you going to the 2019 Pizza Expo in Vegas? We will have a booth there and I will also be competing in the Best of the Best Pizza competition. I have free tickets for you, see more info on how to register for free below. Registration is normally over $200 per ticket, but FREE for you! If make it to the show all I ask is that you stop by our booth and say Hi. :)

Many people have been emailing us recently about where they can find Brick Cheese. As you may know it is a key ingredient for making Detroit Style pizza. It's commonly used in the Mid-west states and made in Wisconsin. Brick cheese is hard to source in the western and southern states, but can you believe I found it here in Kuwait City at the local market ďLu LuĒ, I was shocked! Due to all the inquires and request for us to ship it, we finally made it available online.

Hope to see you in Vegas, flights and hotels are usually cheap. Registration is on me!

Cheers!

Shawn Randazzo

These are the links to what Shawn gave me if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHrBZYcuXVBWxrKhIMB02g/featured

https://www.detroitstylepizza.com/product/great-lakes-brick-cheese-6-lb-avg-loaf/

Norma

Offline PizzaManic

« Reply #2866 on: February 05, 2019, 03:01:28 AM »
Just reporting am still using the dough formulation on this thread when making pizzas in round pans.  Dough is so easy to spread into the pans.  Also made a couple of adjustments in freezing the dough right after it is made, then thawing it out a day before it is used. 

Norma

Hello Norma
Been a long time since i made Pizza but this pie caught my attention - the wife and kids love DS Pizza.

Please can you share your latest formula - would love to give it a go this weekend.

Take care
Mo
Regards Mo

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2867 on: February 05, 2019, 06:40:23 AM »
Hello Norma
Been a long time since i made Pizza but this pie caught my attention - the wife and kids love DS Pizza.

Please can you share your latest formula - would love to give it a go this weekend.

Take care
Mo

Mo,

You can see where I replied to Brian Spangler at Reply 2825 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=21559.msg524033#msg524033 of what I am doing now.

Also posted the formula and mix times at 2641 in the reply to Brian.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=21559.msg423727#msg423727

Ask if you have any other questions.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2868 on: March 14, 2019, 08:34:26 PM »
Smokeís Detroit-Style Dough Recipe

https://www.pizzatoday.com/recipes/dough-breads/smokes-detroit-style-dough-recipe/

Not really sure what the percentages are though.

Norma

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2869 on: March 14, 2019, 09:45:14 PM »
Smokeís Detroit-Style Dough Recipe

https://www.pizzatoday.com/recipes/dough-breads/smokes-detroit-style-dough-recipe/

Not really sure what the percentages are though.

Norma

Here you go, Norma:

Not sure why they mixed weights of ounces and grams.  As far as I can figure:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flour           100.0% (1)
Water         65.0%
LDM           1.0%     (2)
Salt           1.0%
ADY          0.6%
EVO           2.1%

TF = 0.11

(1)  67% HG + 33% BF Flours
(2)  The recipe just states "Diastatic malt".  I'd guess LDM, maybe.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems low on salt.  I'd up the salt to 2%-ish, but I'm not a pro.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 09:47:10 PM by parallei »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2870 on: March 15, 2019, 02:58:59 PM »
Paul,

It is possible that a regular (non-LDM) diastatic malt is intended. For example, if you look at the usage chart as given at page 4 in an article by Briess Malt & Ingredients Co. at http://www.briess.com/food/Assets/pdf/releases/Briess_MakeItAMaltArticle_July2015.pdf, you will see that a Pizza Crust can tolerate a Standard Diastatic Malt % of 0.5-1. The underlying flour may also be malted but most millers, such as General Mills, use only about 0.10-0.20%, and that is for a standard diastatic malt. So the total amount of diastatic malt may be just a bit over 1%.

If Norma decides to try the new recipe and uses 1% standard diastatic malt, she is likely to learn if that is too much if the dough turns out to be wet and sticky and hard to handle. According to Tom Lehmann, those attributes tend to be irreversible.

Peter

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2871 on: March 15, 2019, 04:54:39 PM »

It is possible that a regular (non-LDM) diastatic malt is intended.

Yep.

If Norma decides to try the new recipe and uses 1% standard diastatic malt, she is likely to learn if that is too much if the dough turns out to be wet and sticky and hard to handle. According to Tom Lehmann, those attributes tend to be irreversible.

In the article you linked to, I didn't see a definition of what "standard diastatic malt" is, or is not.  No "L" value or anything like that.  Of course, I may have missed it.  That said, I've used 1% to 2% LDM (20L, powdered) in 24hr to 48 hr CF doughs with mill malted bread flours.  I never experienced a degradation in the dough.  On the other hand, I never found any great benefit in the extra enzymes either.  :'(

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2872 on: March 15, 2019, 05:20:32 PM »
Yep.

In the article you linked to, I didn't see a definition of what "standard diastatic malt" is, or is not.  No "L" value or anything like that.  Of course, I may have missed it.  That said, I've used 1% to 2% LDM (20L, powdered) in 24hr to 48 hr CF doughs with mill malted bread flours.  I never experienced a degradation in the dough.  On the other hand, I never found any great benefit in the extra enzymes either.  :'(
Paul,

The closest reference to the basic, or standard, diastatic malt that I could find at the Briess website is in these statements:

The amount of enzymes available in Briess diastatic malt flours is identified by degrees Lintner. Lintner is a measure of diastatic activity that expresses the ability of cereal malt to produce sugar from a special soluble starch under specific test conditions. Higher lintner means higher diastatic activity. For example, Briess Maltoroseô Dough Improver has a standardized diastatic power of 20 degree Lintner, which is about one-tenth the amount of enzymes in Briess standard Malted Barley Flour.

Standard Malt-Diastatic

Standard Malted Barley Flour is the functional malt ingredient milled from standard diastatic malt.

(source: http://www.briess.com/food/Processes/maltclasses.php)

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2873 on: March 16, 2019, 01:05:55 AM »
Here you go, Norma:

Not sure why they mixed weights of ounces and grams.  As far as I can figure:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flour           100.0% (1)
Water         65.0%
LDM           1.0%     (2)
Salt           1.0%
ADY          0.6%
EVO           2.1%

TF = 0.11

(1)  67% HG + 33% BF Flours
(2)  The recipe just states "Diastatic malt".  I'd guess LDM, maybe.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems low on salt.  I'd up the salt to 2%-ish, but I'm not a pro.

Thanks Paul!

I agree that the salt seems on the low side, but then when Peter and I were studying Buddy's ingredients the salt seemed almost not there at all.  Wonder why anyone would use only 1% though.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2874 on: March 16, 2019, 01:14:23 AM »
Paul,

It is possible that a regular (non-LDM) diastatic malt is intended. For example, if you look at the usage chart as given at page 4 in an article by Briess Malt & Ingredients Co. at http://www.briess.com/food/Assets/pdf/releases/Briess_MakeItAMaltArticle_July2015.pdf, you will see that a Pizza Crust can tolerate a Standard Diastatic Malt % of 0.5-1. The underlying flour may also be malted but most millers, such as General Mills, use only about 0.10-0.20%, and that is for a standard diastatic malt. So the total amount of diastatic malt may be just a bit over 1%.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for the link!  Was interesting about malts.  Not sure if I will try the recipe with a standard diastatic malt because I don't have one.

Norma

Offline Whisky

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2875 on: Yesterday at 09:50:24 PM »
I know I read it somewhere, but what is the TF of your round pizzas Norma. I scanned 20 pages today and never found it. I have a 12" round Loyds pan and want to give this pan pizza a try sometime. Thanks

Offline Whisky

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2876 on: Yesterday at 10:34:26 PM »
I know I read it somewhere, but what is the TF of your round pizzas Norma. I scanned 20 pages today and never found it. I have a 12" round Loyds pan and want to give this pan pizza a try sometime. Thanks

Disregard. Found it on the previous page for crying out loud! Right in front of me.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2877 on: Today at 05:24:51 AM »

Whisky,

I now use 1 lb. of dough for my round pans.  All depends on how long the dough is proofed, how high the final pizza will be though.

Norma

wordpress