Author Topic: Propane Torch Buying Advice  (Read 658 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Propane Torch Buying Advice
« on: November 02, 2016, 11:50:40 AM »
My 500,000 BTU cactus torch is about worn out after 16+ years. The heavy-duty model I bought from Northern Tool is no longer sold. I see options on Amazon with widely varying reviews. One thing it must NOT have is a squeeze valve. I use it for a variety of fire-starting tasks including WFO, smoker, grill. Recommendations appreciated for something that will handle heavy use. Many thanks.

Offline Fire-n-smoke

Re: Propane Torch Buying Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 09:17:44 AM »
I bought one from Home Depot.....its called the Inferno torch by Lincln Electric.  It is propane but not sure of the btu's.   Paid around 50.00 for it.  I use it for my smoker

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 09:59:36 AM »
I bought one from Home Depot.....its called the Inferno torch by Lincln Electric.  It is propane but not sure of the btu's.   Paid around 50.00 for it.  I use it for my smoker

Thank you, F-n-S. Is it this model?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-Electric-Inferno-Propane-Torch-Kit-KH825-01/100341111

Does it have a squeeze valve? I need one that operates without a valve.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 10:21:27 AM »

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-Electric-Inferno-Propane-Torch-Kit-KH825-01/100341111

That's the one I use. I does have the squeeze valve, but I just put a spring clamp on it.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 10:44:48 AM »
Thank you, Craig and F-n-s.  That's good enough for me. On order. I could go down to the local Home Depot, but I can guarantee you I'll come back with more than a torch. Those end-cap displays of things I don't need now but may need someday  can be irresistible.   :)

Later I may post a photo of the business end of my current torch. It's seen much better days.

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 08:39:13 AM »

Bill
The one I have just has a valve, no squeeze handle like the one in the photo.  I must have an older model.   Guess one work around could be to just put a rubber band around the handle to keep it firing.
tom

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 08:56:37 AM »
Got model with squeeze handle. Easy to lock open. Used twice. Works great! Looks like it will hold up for many years. Thanks, guys, for the recommendation.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 10:45:39 AM »
I'm going to have to decrease my rating of this torch. It has developed a gas leak at the fitting between the hose and the torch. It passed the standard soapy water test when I first got it, but when firing up the WFO this morning, there was a distinct propane smell; it now fails the soapy water test.  Perhaps the fitting contracted during the cold weather. Whatever, I guess I'm going to have to disassemble the filling and retape.  >:(

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 09:03:14 AM »
I'm going to have to decrease my rating of this torch. It has developed a gas leak at the fitting between the hose and the torch. It passed the standard soapy water test when I first got it, but when firing up the WFO this morning, there was a distinct propane smell; it now fails the soapy water test.  Perhaps the fitting contracted during the cold weather. Whatever, I guess I'm going to have to disassemble the filling and retape.  >:(

Sorry to hear that Bill.  The one I have has never had a problem (I probably just jinxed myself   :D  )

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 09:07:24 AM »
Whatever, I guess I'm going to have to disassemble the filling and retape.  >:(

Or take it back and exchange it for one that works.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 01:57:10 PM »
Or take it back and exchange it for one that works.

Last resort. 40 minutes round trip to the local store, another 5 minutes in line wondering whether they'll take it back used without the original packaging....and maybe the replacement, if in stock, is also defective? I spent a few minutes to retape and test. Turns out there was barely one thread of teflon tape applied at the factory.

Offline DroolingDog

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 05:27:38 PM »
I just grabbed one of these torches.  Are you guys using some sort of stand to hold the torch in place, to preheat the oven, or are you actually standing there holding the torch for 3 hours?  I have a 16x8 trailer with a forno bravo oven inside of it, and am trying to figure out the safest way to use this torch in an enclosed space.  Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 06:49:00 PM »
I just grabbed one of these torches.  Are you guys using some sort of stand to hold the torch in place, to preheat the oven, or are you actually standing there holding the torch for 3 hours?  I have a 16x8 trailer with a forno bravo oven inside of it, and am trying to figure out the safest way to use this torch in an enclosed space.  Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Why would you be running this torch for 3 hours? I'm just using mine to get the logs going in an outdoor oven.

Offline DroolingDog

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 07:05:00 PM »
To heat the oven up faster. I saw posts by txcraig and pizza napoletana, saying they used the torch for a prolonged amount of time, so they are able to get the temps up faster than burning wood alone.

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 11:33:35 PM »
... trying to figure out the safest way to use this torch in an enclosed space.

I don't think there is a safe way to use it in an enclosed space - you don't  even want the propane tank in there with you.
In grams we trust.

Offline DroolingDog

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2016, 02:55:48 AM »
I will snap some photos. i can keep the propane tank outside and run the line through the window. Im working in an enclosed space with full ventilation. Im just trying to find a way to avoid the 7-10 hour pre heat time. Im pretty sure txcraig is doing the same thing in his garage. 

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2016, 09:46:40 AM »
You can speed up the preheat but you burn a lot of gas. I stopped doing it a long time ago.

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2016, 11:28:02 AM »
Im just trying to find a way to avoid the 7-10 hour pre heat time.

How often do you run the oven (just weekends)?

You might be better off retrofitting more insulation. I lose less than 100 degrees a day with the door on; if I fire it every couple couple of days, each firing doesn't take very long.
In grams we trust.

Offline DroolingDog

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2016, 04:50:34 PM »
Right now I dont have a set schedule. I am waiting until january 1 to get my health permit, because it will cost the same price for a health department certification from today to dec 31, as it does for all of 2017. After that, I am trying to work as many days as I can each week. Last night, I finished my last pizza around midnight, put the cover on, and went to bed.  At 1:00PM, the oven was down to 400.  Unfortunately I cannot add any more insulation, as there is no more room for any.  Furthermore, another problem is that, because the oven is fitted into an enclosed trailer, I have to keep the extract fan on even when there is no flame, and the oven is cooling down because the residual heat spreads along the walls.  I will take photos later today so you can see what I am talking about. Im thinking the propane torch is really the only way to get the heat boost i need if the oven is in use every day.  Or I need to pay one of my kid neighbors some money to keep the flame going when I cant.