A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: quintessential/great pizza spots in New England  (Read 418 times)

Offline classicalthunder

• I Love Pizza!
quintessential/great pizza spots in New England
« on: September 20, 2019, 12:26:50 PM »
hey all! 

we're doing a Fall brewery and pizza tour in New England this fall, we don't have a route picked out but want to gather a ton of recs and then find a best-fit course for 3-5 days somewhere within the four corners of New Haven/Burlington/Portland/Providence.  I have all my New Haven recs mapped out, but interested in hearing some other recommendations too...bonus points for the New England-Greek style pizza of my youth...

will also take any brewery recs if you have them, we already have all the big dogs charted out in VT, ME, and MA

Thanks!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: quintessential/great pizza spots in New England
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 04:53:34 PM »
What part of New England did you grow up in?  The reason I ask is that greek style pizza changes as you move around MA.   The suburbs south of Boston is where many people feel the best greek pizza is found, but that might not be what your looking for.   In that area the pizza is always a 10-12 inch pizza, it is a bit thinner, the dough a bit richer, chesse/toppings are closer to the edge of the pan creating caramelization, and oil or butter spray is used in the pan.   In other areas its more of a NY style dough without oil that is allowed to ferment in the pan a little longer.  The greek pizza within the city of Boston is similar to what you find in the suburbs to the north and west. 

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 07:35:18 PM »
In Boston, be sure to go here: https://www.stokedpizzaco.com/about-stoked
Hans

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 12:13:06 AM »
-Tony

Offline MFallon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 10:59:02 PM »
Don't know if you already visited NE but for what it is worth; Molinari's in Dorchester Ma, Coletti's in Biddeford ME. Stay away from Babbo in Boston. Flatbread Portsmouth, and Zuppardi's West Haven CT

Offline classicalthunder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 09:35:01 AM »
Don't know if you already visited NE but for what it is worth; Molinari's in Dorchester Ma, Coletti's in Biddeford ME. Stay away from Babbo in Boston. Flatbread Portsmouth, and Zuppardi's West Haven CT

we went a couple of weeks ago and did 1 pizza per day:  Frank Pepe's in New Haven on the way up, Lynwood Cafe in Randolph for a greek-style bar pie, Harry's Bishops Corner in West Hartford, and Modern in NH on the way back out.  Our ranking was:

1. Harry's
2. Lynwood Cafe
3. Frank Pepe (very close to being #2, possibly hindered by the fact that we got 2 smalls rather than a large)
4. Modern (did not see what the big deal was, went during a big rush time on sunday afternoon so might be a factor...)

going to do a 2.0 trip in the spring time for breweries and pizza/food places in VT, NH, and possibly ME

wordpress