A D V E R T I S E M E N T


Author Topic: 100 percent Biga  (Read 180 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline thezaman

  • Lifetime Member
  • *
  • Posts: 3619
  • Age: 67
  • Location: ohio
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
100 percent Biga
« on: February 21, 2021, 09:07:28 AM »
What does 80 percent or 100 percent Biga mean?

Offline gdepozsgay

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 147
  • Location: Miami, Florida
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: 100 percent Biga
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 09:31:25 AM »
I have been doing 100% lately and like it quite well. It means you pre-ferment as biga the entire amount of the flour. In 80% you pre-ferment that much and add the remaining 20% as raw flour after the biga is done.
George

Offline DoouBall

  • Supporting Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1175
Re: 100 percent Biga
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 01:03:12 PM »
The percent indicates the % of flour that is in the biga.

80% biga means that 80% of the flour is in the biga and 100% biga means that 100% of the formula's flour is in the biga.

100% biga is probably the most flavorful but it is harder to get it right. 80% gives a little more leeway for error in the fermentation of the biga and the main dough.
Alex

Outdoor Oven: Blackstone. Indoor Oven: Gaggenau.

Offline thezaman

  • Lifetime Member
  • *
  • Posts: 3619
  • Age: 67
  • Location: ohio
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
Re: 100 percent Biga
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 11:10:19 AM »
Thank you for the explanation. does that mean all of the water plus all the yeast is used? salt plus the rest of the flour comes later?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 11:13:19 AM by thezaman »

Offline DoouBall

  • Supporting Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1175
Re: 100 percent Biga
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 11:33:01 AM »
Thank you for the explanation. does that mean all of the water plus all the yeast is used? salt plus the rest of the flour comes later?

The definition of biga is the Giorilli biga as defined by Piergiorgio Giorilli, the inventor of this preferment. It is 100% flour, 44-45% water, 1% fresh yeast (dry yeast conversion is typically specified as 0.5-0.6%).

Now, if you're using 100% biga, then all the flour is in the biga, and you only add water to arrive at your desired final hydration, salt, oil and malt if using.
If you're using 80% biga, then 80% of the flour is in the biga. This is typically strong flour such as Caputo Nuvola Super or Polselli Super. For the refreshement, you add 20% of a weaker flour, salt, malt and oil (if using).

In some cases, you add a bit of yeast to the refreshment, for example, if you want to go straight to balls and bake in a few hours. But the biga contains plenty of yeast so there is no actual need to add more unless you want to accelerate your time to use.
Alex

Outdoor Oven: Blackstone. Indoor Oven: Gaggenau.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T


Offline thezaman

  • Lifetime Member
  • *
  • Posts: 3619
  • Age: 67
  • Location: ohio
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
Re: 100 percent Biga
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 08:18:55 PM »
Thanks, that fully explains this type of dough.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T