A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Sourdough - problem(s) of activity  (Read 1554 times)

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
  • I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
Re: Sourdough - problem(s) of activity
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2020, 07:41:31 AM »
Isn't that what's fun anyway  ;D :chef:
So much fun...except the worst of inedible doughs always present themselves when we are at the apex of hunger.   ::)
Reesa

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2020, 08:20:18 PM »
Last time I was also fermenting at ~26°C, and I used 0.5% SD and it still was done fermenting ~20h. So I would say that your assessment of 5% being too much is correct :)

Only 0.5% for ~20H RTF?  :o Even at 26°C it looks a lot to me!

As I mentioned (somewhere), for 24H RTF I had successful results from 3% to 6% SD. I think 3% would have been good under this RT. 6% was for a cooler T°.
But 0.5% for you, I'm still surprised! Is your SD the "super active" kind? I'd love to see a pic of its peak.

Well, I tried 2% SD for a 22H RTF, and the dough seemed to be ready at 17H; when I baked, it started to be weak (gluten was breaking). RT 27°C, that was quite hot.
So your 0.5% shouldn't be so surprising then!
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
  • 5 years and closer to. . a really Good Pizza!
« Reply #42 on: Yesterday at 09:43:38 AM »
So glad I found this thread, oh, and about 56 others dealing with stuck, cantankerous Or otherwise unwilling starters! I went from an overflowing jar to “ Hello, anyone home?” In the blink of an eye and am now working with, I guess, illegitimate sons of the original, some may be showing promise, while in the background “Try Me, Try Me” from the cute little foil package of IDY! Adventure!
PizzaParty 70x70, saputo floor

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #43 on: Yesterday at 07:40:38 PM »
So glad I found this thread, oh, and about 56 others dealing with stuck, cantankerous Or otherwise unwilling starters! I went from an overflowing jar to “ Hello, anyone home?” In the blink of an eye and am now working with, I guess, illegitimate sons of the original, some may be showing promise, while in the background “Try Me, Try Me” from the cute little foil package of IDY! Adventure!

Haha, well, the more I learn about sourdough, the more I'm glad to see I'm not the only one struggling with it  :-D
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline ochsavidare

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #44 on: Today at 05:06:37 AM »
Haha, oh boy do I recognize that feeling! :D The reliable (albeit boring) yeast becomes more and more tempting every time you end up with something going in the bin after spending 24h+ hoping for it to come out decent ;)

Offline ochsavidare

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #45 on: Today at 06:48:21 AM »

Btw, I recall that I read a professional sourdough baker that I trust saying that during summers with high humidity and extra warm temperatures the sourdough might like to be feed with a slightly lower proportion water than normal to perform at it’s best. So maybe try to make the starter a bit stiffer during feeding and see if that helps?