A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Sourdough starter quantity predictive model  (Read 174308 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Sourdough starter quantity predictive model
« Reply #420 on: June 23, 2020, 08:33:28 AM »
The definition of finished fermenting varies from person to person, and apparently quite a lot. You're the first on this forum I've seen targeting as low at 1.5x. The model targets 1.7 - 2.0x, so your results are right in line with the expectation. There are all sorts of variables that can affect the results other than the variability of the specific tarter flora. For example, starter activity when used, water and flour temp, mixing time, differential between finished dough temp and fermentation temp, stability of fermentation temp, dough hydration, salt and sugar %, etc.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline ochsavidare

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #421 on: June 23, 2020, 06:49:15 PM »
I see, itís at least good to know what the model is aiming for. If 1.7-2x is the common aim I might consider going for that also.

Sure, I, of course, realize that thereís a huge set of hidden variables that I have no control over.  But since my fermentation finished ~17% too early I guess I should at least make sure that my scale and thermometer are accurate enough.

Anyway, thanks for the answer, and for your work on the model 🤗

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #422 on: June 23, 2020, 09:55:37 PM »
The intent of the model was to help find a starting point that would be pretty close. It actually seems to work a lot better than I though it would across a wide range of temperatures, still, some testing and tweaking should be expected.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline ochsavidare

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #423 on: June 24, 2020, 12:34:32 AM »
Yes, of course, I was just worried I was doing something wrong.

Thanks again!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #424 on: June 24, 2020, 12:42:11 AM »
This might be the most stupid question, but whatever. What do you consider to be a pizza dough that has finished fermenting?

not stupid at all, whatever.
The answer is.....   One that is ready to bake.  🤫🍻
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline ochsavidare

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #425 on: June 24, 2020, 01:36:35 AM »
not stupid at all, whatever.
The answer is.....   One that is ready to bake.  🤫🍻

Why didn't I think of that! The answer was staring me in the face all the time!  :-D

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #426 on: June 27, 2020, 08:40:07 AM »
Yes, of course, I was just worried I was doing something wrong.

Nah, it's just in the nature of the beast.  How fast the fermentation goes depends on too many factors.  FWIW I normally go for 60-70% volume expansion when I start to bake, later on balls doubled in size are also OK, just a bit different in how they feel, stretch and bake.

I use a graduated measuring cup for a simple monitoring device.  About 75-80g comes to about 50ml and from how it grows I have an idea of how the balls themselves are doing.  It's not exact but can give an idea as to maybe move the balls somewhere cooler or warmer depending on how they are doing.

I'd make another try with less starter, say 0.3-0.35% if 0.5% put you over the top.
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline ochsavidare

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #427 on: June 29, 2020, 07:46:42 AM »
Nah, it's just in the nature of the beast.  How fast the fermentation goes depends on too many factors.  FWIW I normally go for 60-70% volume expansion when I start to bake, later on balls doubled in size are also OK, just a bit different in how they feel, stretch and bake.

I use a graduated measuring cup for a simple monitoring device.  About 75-80g comes to about 50ml and from how it grows I have an idea of how the balls themselves are doing.  It's not exact but can give an idea as to maybe move the balls somewhere cooler or warmer depending on how they are doing.

I'd make another try with less starter, say 0.3-0.35% if 0.5% put you over the top.

Thanks, I have a similar method, that's how I can say that it's doubled. The pizzas from the finished dough have been delicious so I'm not that worried, but it's still nice to know everyone else's thoughts.  That's definitely where I'll go next (the temperature where I live has risen even further, so I guess I'll have to adjust some more)  :)

wordpress