A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Sausage  (Read 1422 times)

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
Re: Sausage
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2017, 01:26:19 PM »
I made sausage for yesterday as well. I just used salt, red pepper flakes, and fennel.

Offline hodgey1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza 🍕
    • My WFO project
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2017, 02:22:25 PM »
I made sausage for yesterday as well. I just used salt, red pepper flakes, and fennel.

That also looks great!

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2017, 05:01:17 PM »
That also looks great!

Thanks Chris, the only thing I didn't like is the Parmesan on top gave it some strange looking white spots. It's weird this batch looked like the least browning I've ever got with sausage; I even used the broiler for a bit to make sure, but it still didn't pick up much color. I might try Hermits method to get some of that other flavor profile of the browned bits.

Offline csnack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2017, 09:08:54 PM »

Did you grind it yourself?

I'm gonna try Hermit's method this weekend as well, as I never get any maliard on it from the oven and I'd like some.
BTW, as anyone ever tried rolling the raw sausage bits in flour before placing them on the pie? The flour is supposed to induce some good browning, but I wonder if that would only really work in a much hotter oven than the 550 I cook at, which may instead just leave me with gravy covered sausage.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2017, 09:43:14 PM »

Did you grind it yourself?

I'm gonna try Hermit's method this weekend as well, as I never get any maliard on it from the oven and I'd like some.
BTW, as anyone ever tried rolling the raw sausage bits in flour before placing them on the pie? The flour is supposed to induce some good browning, but I wonder if that would only really work in a much hotter oven than the 550 I cook at, which may instead just leave me with gravy covered sausage.

I used pre ground. I haven't tried the flour thing but I read that too, might be worth experimenting with. Another thing I was thinking is a lot of Italian sausage has sugar, my batch yesterday did not and I was wondering if that could have made it brown less also?

Here's another one I did with raw sausage which got quite a bit more browning for comparison.

Offline csnack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2017, 10:03:21 PM »
Your stuff always looks good. You're not a big puffy rim guy though are you. But I guess you get a "larger" pizza of sorts with a smaller rim.

So what's everyone's single favorite topping to pair with sausage?

Online Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • On the journey
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2017, 10:10:05 PM »
Hard to beat sausage and mushrooms.  Pepperoni is a close second but I feel like sometimes it steals the show =/

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2017, 10:27:33 PM »
Your stuff always looks good. You're not a big puffy rim guy though are you. But I guess you get a "larger" pizza of sorts with a smaller rim.

Thanks man, funny you say that, I was actually going to make a puffy American style yesterday, the only reason I went with a 17" over a 14" is I figured I could put more sausage on it since I already went through prepping it. I got a pretty good dough weight dialed in, 550g for a 17" NY or a 14" American style pan pizza. I used to eat a lot of Godfathers and stuff when I lived in the PNW so I will probably work more on some thicker crusts soon.

Hard to beat sausage and mushrooms.  Pepperoni is a close second but I feel like sometimes it steals the show =/

Agreed!! I noticed some pepperoni is pretty forward, and some is quite mild and easily overshadowed. I had some Boars Head pepperoni recently and the other toppings (mushroom, bell pepper, onion) completely overpowered it.

Offline hodgey1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza 🍕
    • My WFO project
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2017, 09:53:36 AM »
My two most favorite NY style pies are
  • Sausage-Pepperoni-Banana Peppers
  • Plain Cheese

When plain cheese is done right, its my favorite!  :drool: The aroma I get from the plain cheese, is the part I love.

Offline csnack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2017, 08:29:33 PM »
So I baked a pie last night with the sausage on it raw. I didn't take a picture because it was an experimental pan dough failure which I anticipated. So this ground pork must've been more fatty than I thought because it greased out a ton on the pizza. So much so that when I went to retrieve the pan pizza from the 14" x 2" pan it collected in a pool on one side. I almost sucked it off with a straw but who sucks up hot grease with a straw so I ended up pouring it off the pie. I was wondering though if maybe that was mostly the 3oz of water I added when making the sausage? But that doesn't seem right as most recipes have water and if anything it should cook off I  figured, not out onto the pie. Sausage is still good. I'll have to pre-cook some fat out and get a leaner pork next time.

Offline hodgey1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza 🍕
    • My WFO project
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2017, 12:25:57 PM »
Sausage is still good. I'll have to pre-cook some fat out and get a leaner pork next time.

I'm not a sausage professional "I'm still working at that". The recommendations for fat to meat ration are 20-30 % fat, preferable back fat. This quote come from some recent reading i've done.

When you're grinding meat, you really want to make sure that your grinder doesn't have a dull blade or a dull die because that's really going to smash the cells of the meat. You really want to retain that cell structure as much as possible because that's what is going to hold that fat and juice in there to give you as much flavor as possible.

Also, there are some people using binders to hold in the juices.

Offline csnack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2017, 11:24:17 PM »
The sweet version is my go-to for Chicago deep-dish style. I like it so much I use a massive amount. Really perfect recipe from Kenji. Here is one of my very old videos:

Hey Bill (and anyone else who uses Kenji's sausage) I was wondering which version of Kenji's italian sausage recipe you use, because there appears to be an old and an updated version. I found an evidently "old" version posted here by someone in 2012 I think it was at this link

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17662.msg171285.html#msg171285

It's Kenji's recipe, and he cites the Serious Eats link at the bottom. But this version is missing some of the ingredients listed in the current recipe at the Serious Eats link - namely the garlic, majorum (and red pepper flakes for a hot version), but adds dry white wine, which is not present in the current version. Here's the link to Kenji's current recipe:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/09/juicy-sweet-or-hot-italian-sausage.html

I was hoping to try the recipe that you use when laying out that solid layer of sausage. Something is not right about my Kenji sausage after all, and I'm having a hard time nailing down what it is.

Offline sotaboy

« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2017, 12:13:18 AM »
Can you use real lard from a butcher to increase fat content? Rendered by the butcher, not the junk at the store.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2017, 08:41:07 AM »
Can you use real lard from a butcher to increase fat content? Rendered by the butcher, not the junk at the store.
Really good leaf lard is probably more expensive than something I'd want to put into sausage. Ive never used lard in an Italian style sausage. Im not sure how it would impact the texture. I prefer a coarser grind. Probably less of an impact if you were going to put the sausage in a mixer. I would think a little would be ok. Not sure I'd want to increase the fat content from 10% to 30% though. More often than not, a pork butt has a good enough fat content. Not always so I understand wanting to increase the fat content 

Lower grade lard is made from fatback. I'd say if your butcher is making lard, they will be able to get you some fatback. You can just cut that into cubes and grind it with the pork. I was given a bunch of fatback once. I vacuum sealed it and froze it. Lasted a long time.

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2017, 11:25:17 AM »
Here is my version of a Spicy Italian Sausage.

Ingredient                                    Unit          QTY
Meat and Fat (4/1)                         lb           5
Paprika                                         tsp       7.5
Toasted Fennel Seeds                    tsp       4
Cayenne Pepper                             tsp       2
Ground Anise                                tsp       1
Salt                                              TBSP    1.67
Cracked Black Pepper                      TBSP    1.67
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes             TBSP    2
Caraway Seeds                              TBSP    4
Fresh chopped Italian Parsley leaves   TBSP    3.33
Dry red Wine                                 TBSP    5

Still tweaking it. Need it a little spicier for my taste.

We form it into 4.5 oz patties (for 14" pizza), and par cook them in a pan.
Then vacuum seal individually and put in freezer.
Remove from freezer 1 day before cooking to thaw, then on pizza day, just break apart in small pieces to put on top of pizza.
Also freeze pepperoni, sauce, cheese, and Canadian bacon in single pizza sizes.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 11:31:42 AM by 02ebz06 »

wordpress