Author Topic: Olive Oil  (Read 460 times)

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
Olive Oil
« on: November 27, 2016, 06:06:27 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good fruity NOT grassy or peppery olive oil.
The last few bottles I've tried seem to just ruin pizza.

Ryan

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Olive Oil
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 06:45:34 PM »
+1
Marty

Offline sodface

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 08:27:14 PM »
At the risk of being branded an alt-right nationalist, my effort to buy American extends to olive oil too:

Floral, buttery and fruity aroma. Smooth flavor with hints of green apple. Versatile - great for baking, sauteing, and everyday uses.
Carl

Offline sodface

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 08:34:39 PM »
The other one I get sometimes is from Trader Joe's:

Trader Joe's California Estate Olive Oil, a fruity, smooth, slightly peppery, well-balanced, extra virgin olive oil.

Carl

Offline StateofMind

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 01:50:58 AM »
I use California Olive Ranch brand in my restaurant and really like the flavor and performance of it. I keep a few bottles of smaller batch stuff around as well but the CA olive ranch is my go to.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 03:37:05 AM »
The CA olive ranch was my go to, but I wasn't impressed with the last bottle. Maybe it was old - It was on sale from a place I typically would not be shopping for olive oil.
Ryan

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 05:02:02 AM »
 Avoid the evoo. Go with the cheap stuff e.g. Filippo Berio.  Maybe mix it 50/50 with soybean oil.  Save the good stuff for condiment use.

The right tool for the job...  yadda, yadda, yadda...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 07:33:16 AM by jkb »

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 05:05:49 AM »
The CA olive ranch was my go to, but I wasn't impressed with the last bottle. Maybe it was old - It was on sale from a place I typically would not be shopping for olive oil.

Tried it.  I'm reluctant to buy it again.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 08:36:01 AM »
Avoid the evoo. Go with the cheap stuff e.g. Filippo Berio.  Maybe mix it 50/50 with soybean oil.  Save the good stuff for condiment use.

The right tool for the job...  yadda, yadda, yadda...

That's the one they use in the Totonno's video with Mario Batali out of the 3L can. Should I go for "pure" olive oil or pomace oil?

The EVOO I currently have gets real bitter after baking.
Ryan

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 08:55:21 AM »
My favourite varietal is Arbequina and an excellent producer is Oro Bailen.  This is somewhat pricey, so I use it only as a finishing oil.  I wouldn't use pomace oil when there are so many higher grades of oil to choose from, many at reasonable prices.  I would suggest sampling different varietals if you get the chance, and then decide on specific brands once you sort out your likes and dislikes.

Rolls

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 09:05:27 AM »
I used to be able to purchase this Arogos EVOO from the Kalamata region that was excellent, but I can no longer find these products anywhere.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 09:09:57 AM by invertedisdead »
Ryan

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 10:17:15 AM »
I like Partanna and San Damiano. Both are easy to find (around here anyway).
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 03:03:29 PM »
Craig thank you for the suggestions, I see the first one is available on Amazon for a very reasonable price.
Ryan

Offline sodface

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2016, 08:01:54 PM »
Kind of off topic, but I read this article today about Dr. Oz being sued for some things he said on his show about imported olive oil being cut with cheaper oils.  I remember the reports at the time and besides trying to buy American when possible these reports were part of the reason I switched to California olive oil.

During that show, Oz featured guest Maia Hirschbein, who was introduced as a "certified oleologist." The two discussed their concerns about the adulteration of imported olive oil.

Oz also said on the show that Italy seized 7,000 tons of "fraudulent olive oil" bound for the United States.

The lawsuit alleges that Oz failed to disclose that Hirschbein is employed by the California Olive Ranch, a private company that competes with foreign olive oil manufacturers.
Carl

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2016, 02:47:01 AM »
Kind of off topic, but I read this article today about Dr. Oz being sued for some things he said on his show about imported olive oil being cut with cheaper oils.  I remember the reports at the time and besides trying to buy American when possible these reports were part of the reason I switched to California olive oil.

Oz strikes me as a money grubbing quack.  Never paid any attention to him.

Offline stealthie

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2016, 04:46:20 PM »
I like Partanna and San Damiano. Both are easy to find (around here anyway).

I second the Partanna, good stuff. Havent tried too many olive oils but like it a lot more than california olive ranch.

Offline Mash996

• I Love Pizza!
Olive Oil
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2016, 07:15:29 PM »
Someone here is selling this olive oil "Partanna"? Anyone know who or what is the web site that he has.

I've seen on other posts that few members here sell all different kind of stuff and I thought it would be nice to support them if they have it.

Was thinking so starting a post if there is not any only to be used as reference point for all members to take advantage of it.