Author Topic: Calabrian chili oil - how I make it.  (Read 88282 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Calabrian chili oil - how I make it.
« Reply #350 on: September 03, 2016, 04:22:32 PM »
Craig,

I used 3 of your Calabrian chili peppers to make some of your chili oil.  I used the Stanislaus Corto olive oil.  Marty (Pizza Quixtote) and his wife Ying really loved the Sicilian pizza that was made with your chili oil.

Norma

That is awesome. I wish I was there!  ;D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #351 on: September 03, 2016, 04:24:37 PM »
That is awesome. I wish I was there!  ;D

Craig,

I wish you would have been here too.  Also used spicy Italian dry salami.  Your chili oil and the salami paired well together.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #352 on: September 06, 2016, 09:03:32 PM »
Calabrian chili peppers in the Caputo Cup.  Yep, that is high they are rated.   ;D

Put some Calabrian chili oil in fresh sausage today along with other ingredients.  Yum! 

Norma

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #353 on: September 07, 2016, 10:33:38 AM »
Great picture, Norma. Have you found out how many beers fit in the Caputo Cup yet?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #354 on: September 07, 2016, 12:15:55 PM »

Have you found out how many beers fit in the Caputo Cup yet?

Jon in Albany,

No, I didn't find out how many beers fit in the Caputo Cup yet.  The container of peppers was a quart.

Norma

Offline R2-Bayou

« Reply #355 on: September 21, 2016, 08:20:27 PM »
First try at chili oil using fresh peppers. A whole bunch of peppers were up for grabs in the break room of a business I was meeting at. Should've taken a pic, but they were a combo of red habanero looking and Tabasco looking chilies. Turned into a chili mash. Washed, destemmed, and ground through the KitchenAid coarse plate. Yielded 140 grams. Added 10% salt, 14 grams. Packed into canning jar with airlock. I'll give it a couple weeks on the counter. Thinking I'll strain for hot sauce and use the solids to infuse Partanna EVOO. If successful, I can imagine using the mash for a honey infusion too.
"Wretched excess is just barely enough."

Offline R2-Bayou

« Reply #356 on: October 14, 2016, 08:43:58 PM »
Gave the chili mash it's weekly stir tonight, smelled exactly like Tabasco sauce. Half way through fermentation. No movement on the air lock.

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #357 on: October 15, 2016, 08:09:02 AM »
R2-Bayou - that looks cool, when you said you ran them through the KitchenAid coarse plate - do you mean the course plate of the meat grinder?

I'd like to try this - where do you get the mason jar airlock lid?
Norm

Offline R2-Bayou

« Reply #358 on: October 15, 2016, 09:07:16 AM »
R2-Bayou - that looks cool, when you said you ran them through the KitchenAid coarse plate - do you mean the course plate of the meat grinder?

I'd like to try this - where do you get the mason jar airlock lid?
Yes, coarse plate of the meat grinder. I've read it's more consistent than pulsing in a food processor, but I'm skeptical. Either way its a small amount of clean up for me.

The airlock: http://www.perfectpickler.com/

I bought the above once and then just got parts to replicate the idea so I can do multiple mason jars at a time. It's a good introduction to lacto-fermentation, as it also comes with recipes and their recommended grey sea salt. It's just a plastic wide mouth mason jar lid with gasket, and a carboy airlock with smaller gasket. They also have a small steel ramekin as an overflow cup, which can be useful for some foods. Pickling salt is all I've ever used and it works great.

Offline R2-Bayou

« Reply #359 on: October 28, 2016, 09:46:23 PM »
After six weeks on the counter, I pasteurized the chili mash for a few minutes according to the Leener's instructions.
http://www.leeners.com/peppersauce/how-to/how2mashpeppers.shtml

Split the mash between 2, 4 oz ball jars and topped off with Partanna EVOO. Into the fridge for the long term. Any ideas as to how long they should steep before the flavors mature?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #360 on: October 28, 2016, 10:28:43 PM »
I pressure can mine, and they are ready to use immediately. I'm not sure they will ever get ready in the fridge. I think you will probably need to sautee them to get the flavor, and even then I think it's going to be different.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline R2-Bayou

« Reply #361 on: October 28, 2016, 10:35:01 PM »
My hunch is that you're right. Having marinated the day, the oil hasn't picked up any color. I don't have a pressure cooker but might try boiling the jars.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #362 on: October 29, 2016, 09:09:06 AM »
Boiling the jars will work, but I think you should keep it refrigerated after to be safe.

Offline R2-Bayou

« Reply #363 on: November 18, 2016, 08:38:43 PM »
I finally got around to trying the oil tonight. I wound up boiling the jars for a couple of hours then storing them in the refrigerator. I let them warm up to room temp while preheating for pizza. I baked a plain cheese NY style pizza with dollops of ricotta. Drizzled the oil as a table condiment. It had a "creeper" heat, subtle at first but kept building. Very pleasant taste, with salty, almost fruity bursts when you got some chiles. I was pleasantly surprised at how it came out because the oil didn't take on the color so characteristic of chili oils.

I had made an oil in the past where I used crushed red pepper flakes. It had that burnt umber color, with an aggressive heat yet addictive flavor. The flavor was more single note, but a great condiment with striking color.

I found this attempt using fresh peppers to have a more complex and appealing flavor. Just wish I could get the color right. Maybe the higher heat from pressure cooking would fix that.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #364 on: November 18, 2016, 09:14:41 PM »
Put some in a sauce pan and fry it, and that should intensify the color. It only takes maybe 30 seconds of heat once it starts bubbling rapidly. You can actually cut it with a good bit of olive oil if you do that without loosing heat, flavor, or color.

Offline sodface

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #365 on: November 24, 2016, 07:24:58 PM »
Just came across these at my local Kroger store. First time I have found any around here.  They were a bit pricey at $8.49 for a 6.7 ounce jar, but I grabbed them anyway. Going to make the oil and try it on a pie this weekend.

Waynesize, did you ever use these?  I was up in Virginia this past week and found a bottle of this brand at Kroger that I brought home with me.  I ate one out of the jar last night but haven't used them for anything yet.
Carl

Offline waynesize

« Reply #366 on: November 26, 2016, 09:08:56 AM »
Carl, sorry I missed your reply a couple of days ago.  I replied to your PM, but I will comment here so others can see.

I made some of the oil, and was not impressed. It could have been something I did wrong. Maybe my olive oil wasn't up to the task.   It could be that the Delallo brand is different in taste than what others are using. I did use a few of the peppers, just chopped, as a topping. They were okay. I am always looking in stores for other brands.  I would like to try it again.

Wayne

Offline stealthie

« Reply #367 on: January 02, 2017, 06:07:42 PM »
Is the pepper flavor suppose to infuse with the oil? I cant seem to get it to infuse like some of the pizza spots I go to that serve chili oil. But they seem to have chilis in there whole if that makes a difference.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #368 on: January 02, 2017, 06:35:02 PM »
Is the pepper flavor suppose to infuse with the oil? I cant seem to get it to infuse like some of the pizza spots I go to that serve chili oil. But they seem to have chilis in there whole if that makes a difference.

It definitely infuses the oil. What chilies are you starting with?

Offline stealthie

« Reply #369 on: January 03, 2017, 12:53:35 AM »
The Tutto Calabrian chilis. Ive followed your directions and made Tony Gs from his book. Oil turns a nice shade of orangish but just barely any infused flavor in the oil. The chopped up peppers are loaded with flavor, but I was hoping to keep it in a bottle with a pourer and use it that way.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #370 on: January 03, 2017, 08:46:18 AM »
I don't know what to tell you. Mine often gets so intense that I have to cut it with more oil.

Offline RupertPupkin

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #371 on: January 03, 2017, 12:15:12 PM »
Just read this thread; can't wait to try the chili oil on pizza! Looks like everyone was on board with the Tutto Calabria and then the ominous post saying that the flavor had changed, and not for the better.

I'd like to try Craig's recipe here, but what peppers should i use? Just use the new Tutto Calabria (am I understanding that the current TC peppers are different than the ones people raved about for the first 9 pages of the thread?). Or would people recommend a different brand like Cento now?

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #372 on: January 11, 2017, 01:04:51 PM »
Just saw these as a new product in Whole Foods. $6.99 in Albany, NY.