Just finished making my first dough ball, planning a 5 hour fermentation a la craig/mike essen's process. Some questions:
- we have an old ka mixer that my wife's mom gave her. It has the older J -hook instead of a spiral hook. I had watched a youtube of video of the spiral hook at work and the J hook didn't knead the dough in the same manner...in fact, it barely kneaded the dough at all. Mostly it got caught in the center of the dough and slapped it around. My best guess is that the dough is under-kneaded (I had the mixer going for about 7 minutes in all), what effect will that have on the end product? Dough temp coming out of the mixer was 80 degrees.
- seems like I should invest in a spiral hook?
- In the pizza bible, tony g suggests proofing the yeast. This step in the process makes sense to me but I haven't seen it mentioned in craig or mike's process. why is that?
- My dough is sitting in a plastic container covered tightly with saran wrap. the container does have a top, can I just put on the top instead of using saran wrap?
- I managed to spill a bunch of yeast in an open drawer above where I'm keeping my flour (in sealed bags). I did my best to get it up, wondering if I may have a problem with the stored flour?