Author Topic: made first dough ball, some questions...  (Read 56 times)

Offline quietdesperation

• I Love Pizza!
made first dough ball, some questions...
« on: Today at 04:13:04 PM »
Hi,

Just finished making my first dough ball, planning a 5 hour fermentation a la craig/mike essen's process. Some questions:

- we have an old ka mixer that my wife's mom gave her. It has the older J -hook instead of a spiral hook. I had watched a youtube of video of the spiral hook at work and the J hook didn't knead the dough in the same manner...in fact, it barely kneaded the dough at all. Mostly it got caught in the center of the dough and slapped it around. My best guess is that the dough is under-kneaded (I had the mixer going for about 7 minutes in all), what effect will that have on the end product? Dough temp coming out of the mixer was 80 degrees.

- seems like I should invest in a spiral hook?

- In the pizza bible, tony g suggests proofing the yeast. This step in the process makes sense to me but I haven't seen it mentioned in craig or mike's process. why is that?

- My dough is sitting in a plastic container covered tightly with saran wrap. the container does have a top, can I just put on the top instead of using saran wrap?

- I managed to spill a bunch of yeast in an open drawer above where I'm keeping my flour (in sealed bags). I did my best to get it up, wondering if I may have a problem with the stored flour?

many thanks!
« Last Edit: Today at 04:20:20 PM by quietdesperation »

Online nick57

• Supporting Member
Re: made first dough ball, some questions...
« Reply #1 on: Today at 04:47:43 PM »
 I have a plastic 1 gallon ice cream container that I put my dough in. I grease the lid and put the dough ball on it. I then put the container on top of the lid and seal it shut, and in the fridge it goes. When ready, I take the container off the lid and then remove the dough from the lid. I don't have to scrape the dough out of the container, and it helps retain the shape of the dough ball.

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • Photos
« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:51:53 PM »
Hi,

Just finished making my first dough ball, planning a 5 hour fermentation a la craig/mike essen's process. Some questions:

- we have an old ka mixer that my wife's mom gave her. It has the older J -hook instead of a spiral hook. I had watched a youtube of video of the spiral hook at work and the J hook didn't knead the dough in the same manner...in fact, it barely kneaded the dough at all. Mostly it got caught in the center of the dough and slapped it around. My best guess is that the dough is under-kneaded (I had the mixer going for about 7 minutes in all), what effect will that have on the end product? Dough temp coming out of the mixer was 80 degrees.
It's probably fine. For small dough amounts I find it easier to knead by hand.

- seems like I should invest in a spiral hook? It's up to you, the spiral hook works better.

- In the pizza bible, tony g suggests proofing the yeast. This step in the process makes sense to me but I haven't seen it mentioned in craig or mike's process. why is that?
  Depends on the yeast you are using. ADY should be hydrated, IDY does not need to be.

- My dough is sitting in a plastic container covered tightly with saran wrap. the container does have a top, can I just put on the top instead of using saran wrap?
Either way is fine.

- I managed to spill a bunch of yeast in an open drawer above where I'm keeping my flour (in sealed bags). I did my best to get it up, wondering if I may have a problem with the stored flour? Should be just fine.

many thanks!
Hans

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:35:36 PM »
As Han said, your mixer is likely just fine.  If you had only one dough ball's worth of dough in there, that is the likely culprit for the dough just being knocked around and not mixed.  Not enough dough for the mixer to work with effectively.

As he said, you can go by hand if this will not mix and you only want one dough.  Or, you can use a food processor if you have one.  They do a great job on small quantities of dough (you have to make sure the dough does not get too hot, too fast, etc.).

Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans