A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: topping movement?  (Read 202 times)

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
topping movement?
« on: Yesterday at 03:18:35 PM »
I'd like to understand how toppings move during the bake to improve the look of the finished product. I've noticed pepperoni and Soppressata seems to move 2-3 inches towards the rim so I guess the idea is to create concentric circles around the center of the pizza and stop 2-3 inches from the rim?

Fresh mushroom slices seem to sink into the cheese but don't seem to move as much towards the rim. same for ground sausage.

any tips for anticipating topping movement would be appreciated!

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• I Do It For The Guests.
Re: topping movement?
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 03:53:38 PM »
The toppings move during launch.

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 04:41:33 PM »
really! so not during melt?

Online The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 05:14:03 PM »
The edge of the pizza is the first part to bake due to exposure to heat from three dimensions, top, bottom and the side where as the center of the pizza is only being baked from the bottom (not from the top due to the protective sauce, cheese and toppings). As a result of this the toppings tend to flow inward towards the center of the pizza. We used to instruct our students to build the pizza like a volcano, low in the center and higher out towards the edges (in reference to toppings). As the pizza bakes the toppings will flow towards the center. Since every dough is somewhat different in how it responds in the oven you may need to experiment a little to see what the ideal topping placement is for YOUR pizza. This issue is mostly associated with the thicker dimension thin crust type pizzas baked in a deck oven. Air impingement ovens do not show this characteristic due to the intense airflow to the top of the pizza holding everything in place BUT when a bubble forms in the dough the cheese and toppings WILL slide off of the bubble in any type of oven. In a pizzeria the common response is to pop the bubble and rearrange the toppings on the top of the pizza as it comes out of the oven.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 06:58:19 PM »
thanks tom but I'm scratching my head, trying to figure out how to put this: "low in the center and higher out towards the edges (in reference to toppings)." into practice. do you mean denser (less space between) topping towards the edge? or does one actually build height by stacking toppings? I'm guessing the former...

thanks again!

Online The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 07:15:45 PM »
Toppings are applied thinner in the middle and heavier towards the edge.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 07:47:21 PM »
thanks!

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #7 on: Today at 04:08:47 PM »
I was taught: meat weighted toward the rim, vege's evenly, and oil the edge if there is no meat.