Author Topic: Lehmann vs Trader Joes - What's makes dough/crust so flavorful?  (Read 120 times)

Offline davefr

Lehmann vs Trader Joes - What's makes dough/crust so flavorful?
« on: January 15, 2017, 10:56:48 AM »
I've been making pizzas for a few years using the Lehmann dough recipe/calculator (ie King Arthur flour, IDY, water, salt and olive oil - all std. super market products).

Yesterday we bought some pre-made dough balls at Trader Joes.

The Trader Joe dough balls made good pizzas but the crust flavor was lifeless and bland. 

By contrast, I don't always produce good skins using the Lehmann method but the crust flavor is always excellent.

So my question is, what differentiates excellent flavor vs. bland flavor in pizza dough. (given same toppings and baking)  Is it the brand of ingredients?  Is it the exact ratio?  Is it the process?

TIA
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 11:04:35 AM by davefr »

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Lehmann vs Trader Joes - What's makes dough/crust so flavorful?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 01:02:09 PM »
Davefr:
It all has to do with fermentation. Most if not all commercially marketed pizza crusts are made with little or no fermentation since the acids formed during the fermentation of the dough severely limit the shelf life properties of the dough and add a level of inconsistency to the dough which is unacceptable from a marketing point of view. Try allowing the commercially made dough to come up to about 55F to 60F in temperature and then forming it into a ball and from that point on manage it the same way as you would your regular dough, you will most likely see some improvement. By the way, this also works well for frozen dough too.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor