A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Olio Pizzeria Los Angeles  (Read 1207 times)

Offline jeffereynelson

Olio Pizzeria Los Angeles
« on: February 16, 2013, 08:29:36 PM »
So the wife and I decided to go into LA and try a new pizza place. We went to Olio because of the ones we wanted to try, it was the only one open for lunch while we were there.

The place is really interesting, just a bar area, a couple two tops, and a few seats outside. Very small.

So the pizza was very different from what I was expecting, because in reality I didn't know what to expect. I couldn't even find a review of the place on the forums yet (maybe I didn't look in the right places?). Anyways the pizza was very good, but definitely not meeting VPN standards. They don't even have buffalo mozz on the menu. We ordered the margherita plus which is topped with Burrata and a sausage with roasted peppers. I really liked the burrata on the pizza, it really was delicious. However I timed the pizza, and it was in the oven for 5:15, and then was topped with the burrata and went in for another 30 seconds or so. So definitely a slower bake for a WFO. The pizza had a crunch to it and couldn't be eaten by the slice because it held up well. No soft crust or soggier middle.

It is no Neapolitan pie, but it was still good. Hopefully someone else will give it a try and give their opinions.

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
Re: Olio Pizzeria Los Angeles
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 07:48:07 PM »
I'm reviving an old one, here, but why not have all the commentary together?  The location above was very near my home.  That one closed a while back due to lease issues, but they had a second shop - now, I believe, their only location - a kiosk at Grand Central Market on 3rd Street and Broadway in Downtown Los Angeles.  The market is a fun stop on a night out.  I ordered a Margherita Plus with spicy Italian sausage, very reasonable at $13.00 and change.  The plus gets you two extra inches on the pie and an upgrade from fiore de latte to burrata.  According to the people behind the counter, all cheeses are imported from Italy.  I agree with JeffereyNelson that it's not quite neapolitan, but it was decidedly in that family while being different in all the right ways.  The bake time was definitely over 5 minutes although I didn't time it, but that's okay by me.  The crust was tender but crisp, with no flop, a nice amount of char, and more browning than a neapolitan pie.  It was light with an eggshell veneer and good depth of flavor.  The tomatoes were on display.  I saw the cans and got confirmation that I was tasting a food-milled mix of 7-11s and Alta Cucina.  Great tomato flavor without much, if any, adulteration.  The burrata was really good.  Very creamy with a fresh milky flavor, bleeding occasional rivulets of cream that mixed with the tomato beautifully.  It may have been added mid bake, but I didn't see.  The basil went on, I'm guessing, shortly before the pizza was done.  It was more than wilted, but not incinerated.   Not sure about olive oil.  I didn't detect it specifically, but the pie, between the burrata and sausage, which was very flavorful and had a kick, did not want for fatty goodness.  I'm assuming there was some EVOO in there because 1) I saw bottles and 2) the place is called Olio.  If you're in downtown LA, I recommend you give Olio a try.  I'm going back.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 01:44:30 PM by Glutenboy »
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 02:45:25 PM »
Nice review! I had a tasty Marinara at the Grand Central Market location a few years back. I don't remember it being a 5 minute bake but maybe it was.
the proof is in the pizza

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 09:32:39 PM »
Nice review! I had a tasty Marinara at the Grand Central Market location a few years back. I don't remember it being a 5 minute bake but maybe it was.

I didn't time it in and out of the oven, but it took a while, and it didn't have any of the usual super-high-heat characteristics such as softness and leoparding.  It didn't droop at all, it was foldable but crisp, and the color was golden brown, darker than in the pic above.  Not Neapolitan, but very good.  So my 5-plus is based on circumstantial evidence.
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T