A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Has anyone used a countertop deck oven?  (Read 9290 times)

Offline MikesCookin

Re: Has anyone used a countertop deck oven?
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 11:04:31 AM »
Scott,

Thanks for the input.  I didn’t know that ceramic flagstone equated to cordierite. The thread to which you refer showed some positive results (from Matthew), in any case, once I get it up and running I will perform tests with different stones and report back with cook times, recovery, etc.

Thanks,
Mike

Offline MikesCookin

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 11:11:41 AM »
John,

The 'easy bake' referred to above is the Baker’s Pride model in this case…

On ebay, starting at around $400-450, you can get used BP’s  that are 120V maybe 1500W.
The PX14 240V new is about $575 but it’s 1500W and max 650F and is described as “all purpose electric countertop oven ideal for baking, warming, and finishing pretzels, cookies, par-baked products, sushi, hot wings, and much more”.

-so it’s basically a warming oven.

BP does have some nice 240V pizza ovens that are counter top size like the P22 which is 2-deck and you can also get brick lined, but max temp is 680F  - and more importantly costs $2K.  Used 240V BP’s usually start around $800-900.

-Mike

scott123

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 12:09:17 PM »
The thread to which you refer showed some positive results (from Matthew), in any case.

It's a solid oven, Mike, and should give you some top notch pies. I'm only trying to steer potential oven buyers towards less expensive options (such as steel).  Since you already own the oven, I have no doubt that you'll be very happy with it.

Offline AndBje

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2015, 12:24:37 PM »
As you can see, compared to my home oven, even correcting for the smaller surface area, these are all weaker ovens.  The pizzamasters (PM) aren't bad, at 5.5w/in2, and Pizzamaster is a respectable manufacturer, but it's still not as strong as my home oven.

Old topic, but since I am currently considering buying a PizzaMaster countertop (PM45xxx) I found this thread interesting. However, I think there is an error in your table. The PM451ED has over 11 W / sq inch (18x18 in, 3630W) - more than most full sized pizza ovens (I get your number if I use the external dimension).

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2017, 09:46:37 AM »
An easy bake pizza oven oven! How cute!  :-D

Seriously, though, as Bob said, I give this a whopping stamp of disapproval.

First of all, Chaz, since you reference NY style in your post, everything I'm going to say is from a NY style perspective.  Chicago thin, with it's longer bake, might function perfectly fine with a low wattage oven.  I have no idea what kind of heat Chicago thin requires.

My thoughts on countertops are evolving.  6 months ago, I might have said, this oven is worthless and 99% of other countertops are garbage, but, as of late, the more numbers I crunch, the more suspect I am of all countertops.  Here is the countertop data I've collected:

Model

PM451ED

PM451ED-1

ebay chinese @ 1.6 kW

ebay chinese @ 2.4 kW

My home oven

Sage PD11-A 400

Sage PD14-A 400

Cecilware PO22

bp p22s

Compact M35/8 Pizza Group

bp p16
kW

Watts per Sq. Inch

As you can see, compared to my home oven, even correcting for the smaller surface area, these are all weaker ovens.  The pizzamasters (PM) aren't bad, at 5.5w/in2, and Pizzamaster is a respectable manufacturer, but it's still not as strong as my home oven.

And my home oven isn't extraordinarily strong.  I'm hoping to eventually have a bigger sampling size, but as you can see in this thread:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20146.0.html

most electric home ovens are considerably stronger than countertops.

I've cooled considerably on Sage. Other than the gas ovens with the separate broiler drawer, I have yet to come across a home oven that, with 1/2" steel, can't outperform the Sage ovens with faster pre-heats and faster recovery times.

And this is being compared to a home oven. In a commercial environment, unless these countertops are being used for rewarming, this direction is money down the drain.

Necroposting because of countertop pizza oven information awesomeness, however I would consider doing this comparison with cubic inches and not square inches
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 09:49:11 AM by Dangerous Salumi »
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

A D V E R T I S E M E N T