Author Topic: New to pizza making - Chicago style  (Read 5623 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline vcb

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 587
  • Location: Chicago
    • Real Deep Dish
Re: New to pizza making - Chicago style
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 03:29:18 PM »
Sorry about the lack of posting last night and the few pictures I have.

Turns out repeatedly dropping delicate electronics isn't good for them!  So my phone was kind of on the fritz.

Overall I think it turned out well for my first time.

The first pic is of my initial try at dough.  I don't have a scale, so my measuring was by volume.  I used slightly over a cup of flour, 5 tsp of corn oil, a bit over 1.5 tsp of butter and 1/3 cup of water.
FIRST MISTAKE: I heated the water up too hot before I put the yeast in, which I think killed the ADY.  I used a meat thermometer to check the temp of the water, and I don't think that was the best choice.

Thanks for trying the recipe. Let me see if I can give some helpful hints for your next attempt :-)

First of all, you can definitely use all corn oil instead of part corn/part olive, butter, etc.
I actually prefer just using corn oil.

Instead of a meat thermometer, run your hot water tap and hold your hand under it. The water just needs to be luke-warm. If it's too hot for your hand, it's probably too hot for the yeast.

Definitely use a bit a of sugar to help the yeast along.

I had a hard time getting the Kitchen Aid to mix the dough.  The hook was barely hitting the ingredients, so I used a spatula to try and push things in.  Only worked it around 2 minutes or so.

I felt this dough was too dry, it didn't seem to be coming together very well.
If you're using a mixer, try starting with the paddle, then switch to the hook.
I mix by hand these days, because of the very little amount of time required to knead.
If, after mixing the dough together, it still looks a little dry, let the dough sit for 5 minutes so the flour can absorb the water and try kneading again. If it's still not coming together, add a few drops of warm water and try kneading into a ball.

So, I re-made the dough, mixing by hand and adding maybe another 1/9 cup of water to the recipe.  I worked it longer this time, to make sure things were mixed.  At this point I had still over heated the water.  SO an hour later I see the dough hasn't risen at all.  I take some more water, around 1/6 cup, heat it less, mix the yeast and add it to the dough.  I work it in along with some more flour.  I set the bowl on top of the pre-heating oven to get it warm.  I could have let it rise longer, but it was getting late and we were pretty hungry.  Probably rose maybe 40 minutes.  I don't have a pic of this guy.
I'd start over, rather than try to re-yeast the dough, but I'm glad you had some seemingly decent results.

SECOND MISTAKE: We over pressed the tomatoes after we drained and crushed them, so we didn't really have much tomato left to put on top.  Some pieces of pepperoni got a little singed, but we kinda like that.  My wife doesn't like much sauce, so she was fine with the amount, but I prefer more.
We added fresh basil, one clove of garlic and some oregano to the tomatoes.

You could always add a little bit of that drained tomato juice back to your tomatoes to loosen up your sauce a bit.
I prefer to use crushed or pureed tomatoes. It gives me more consistent results and it's less work.

We laid Polly-O mozzarella (around 8oz) and then BelGiosioso Piquant Provolone (around 5 or 6 oz) down.  Then about 1/4 lb of hot and mild Italian sausage, uncooked.  A layer of Calabrese salami and then Boar's Head pepperoni.  We spread the tomatoes around as best we could, then grated Parmesan on top.  The oven was at 500, I turned it down to 450 and I put the pizza on top of the stone.  Camera worked, so I snapped a quick pic.  I put a cookie sheet on the rack right above the pizza.

Baked it for 17 minutes, turned and then for another 14 minutes.  I put some foil on top since the pepperonis were getting dark and baked for another 6 minutes.  Total time was 37 minutes.

Final pic is it out of the oven and all done.

Pics look great. Nice job for your first try! :-)
Looks like you may have overbaked it a bit.
For a 9" pizza, you probably could have pulled it out around 25-30 minutes.

Just make sure to let the pizza settle for 5 minutes or so, before cutting into it (or trying to pop it out of the pan.


I just made a dough demo video. Hope it helps.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 07:14:47 PM by vcb »
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101


Offline BTB

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 981
  • Location: Tampa Bay, FL & S.W. Mich. areas
Re: New to pizza making - Chicago style
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2013, 08:52:00 AM »
Oh, I do have one question:

What's the best way to remove the pizza from the pan intact?

See if my reply at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6480.msg174765.html#msg174765 is of any help.          --BTB