A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Sclafani Crushed Tomatoes  (Read 12961 times)

Offline Basquerider

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Sclafani Crushed Tomatoes
« Reply #120 on: February 02, 2017, 06:47:14 PM »
Minolta

Are these the pic you wanted?

Online hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #121 on: February 02, 2017, 06:53:47 PM »
Minolta

Many (most/all?) of us prefer the crushed tomatoes  (painted can) over the whole tomatoes (paper label) as their whole tomatoes seem under-ripe.
Matt

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #122 on: February 02, 2017, 10:21:22 PM »
Many (most/all?) of us prefer the crushed tomatoes  (painted can) over the whole tomatoes (paper label) as their whole tomatoes seem under-ripe.

How did you get to that conclusion that their whole tomatoes are under-ripe? Was it the taste? Look? Were they still showing areas of green? Were they hard?

I found that Sclafani makes an exceptional and consistently good product. But that's just me, I guess.
Mike

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #123 on: February 02, 2017, 10:29:16 PM »
How did you get to that conclusion that their whole tomatoes are under-ripe? Was it the taste? Look? Were they still showing areas of green? Were they hard?

It's been my experience as well. 100% of the Sclafani whole peeled I've seen are, IMO, underripe as in pale, very firm, bitter, and with little tomato flavor. It's a totally different story on the crushed.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #124 on: February 02, 2017, 11:34:41 PM »
It's been my experience as well. 100% of the Sclafani whole peeled I've seen are, IMO, underripe as in pale, very firm, bitter, and with little tomato flavor. It's a totally different story on the crushed.

Interesting.

I think it was mentioned here somewhere that Sclafani uses Cali tomatoes. Maybe for their whole ones they use tomatoes grown in Jersey?

I'm not trying to insult NJ or suggest that NJ has less desirable whole peeled tomatoes. If they don't use their own homegrown in NJ tomatoes, maybe they get a lower quality product shipped from Cali for their whole peeled products?
Mike

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• I Do It For The Guests.
« Reply #125 on: February 03, 2017, 04:23:25 AM »
Minolta

Wow so allegedly the other brother is importing tomatoes from Italy...
On another note Sclafani Crushed is $21 on amazon. Amazing price.

Online hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #126 on: February 03, 2017, 06:59:49 AM »
Interesting.

I think it was mentioned here somewhere that Sclafani uses Cali tomatoes. Maybe for their whole ones they use tomatoes grown in Jersey?

I'm not trying to insult NJ or suggest that NJ has less desirable whole peeled tomatoes. If they don't use their own homegrown in NJ tomatoes, maybe they get a lower quality product shipped from Cali for their whole peeled products?

While one individual earlier in this thread stated that their tomatoes come from CA, I didn't find them convincing. I'm not sure whether they come from NJ, CA or somewhere else, but the crushed are very tasty wherever they come from.

It's possible the whole and crushed come from 2 different sources, but maybe they are the same tomatoes just very ripe vs under-ripe?

And to be clear, I'm not knocking Sclafani. Their crushed tomatoes are amazing, and my wife uses them exclusively now for any dish she prepares with tomato, and I use them when i make pan pizzas (and have a pyramid of cans on display in my dining room). Someone mentioned the painted vs paper label earlier and I didn't want them to try the whole tomatoes and get discouraged.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 07:09:50 AM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #127 on: February 03, 2017, 08:05:42 AM »
It's interesting that the whole peeled come in a can with a paper label. Does that mean they pack for other people? That other people pack for them?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #128 on: February 03, 2017, 02:54:28 PM »
That's a really good point...there are several brand  names that come out (or seem to)  of their location . And they have a parent company that's a couple of hours north of them (office, I think..far from tomato country)

Offline csnack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #129 on: February 16, 2017, 05:15:13 AM »
Minolta

I scored a pack of 12 myself for $23 anyway.. and this isn't a bad thing, but I was really hoping for the cans with the permanent print art version that you have there, with the streamlined look of just the two tomatoes and sans the "Jersey Fresh" stamp. I'm not complaining though, I still think the art on these is cool enough for me to re-purpose like I had planned. I forgot which of these designs is the newer one though; I believe further back in this thread someone contacted the company concerned that with the change of art the tomatoes had changed, too, and I believe he was told that the tomatoes are the same.
But I also could have sworn that someone here, maybe TXCraig, said he puts the Sclafani Crushed through a food mill to remove the seeds and skins, but in one of the two cans I gave away, I was there when they opened the can and there were hardly any seeds at all worth trying to remove and definitely no skin bits. In fact, the contents were almost already a puree on their own. Hmm. Anyway I still have yet to make a sauce from them and compare an identical sauce made side by side with the Kroger 5TPCG OL can I always use.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #130 on: February 16, 2017, 09:06:25 AM »
Run a can through a food mill with the medium plate, and you might be surprised how much skin is in there. It's certainly not something you have to do, and I don't always do it either.

wordpress