A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Cento Crushed Tomatoes - new stock in stores  (Read 544 times)

Offline DeanS

• Pizza Esistenzialista
Cento Crushed Tomatoes - new stock in stores
« on: February 04, 2017, 03:18:40 PM »
Some might remember that I was concerned about when the new season would be released. I wanted to see if I could taste a difference. The new ones (Expiry 2019) have now started to be stocked here in Kroger and WalMart in central VA. Since they switched at the same time, I assume this indicates the stock at the national or regional level. In any case, I noticed a difference - they struck me as watery/more red when first opened, and I noticed a bit more "off the vine" fresh flavor, if that makes sense to anyone here.

They were not actually watery, and I am wondering how long the freshness/bite will stay, or if it is just a change from the harvest this year.

Also (and as this post probably implies) I have started to sense an addiction to tomatoes. I actually feel like I have a wasted opportunity to eat them then I eat something else for dinner. I understand they contain nicotine or a related chemical, which could cause that. Has anyone else experienced this? I should probably lay off a bit...

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
Re: Cento Crushed Tomatoes - new stock in stores
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 05:00:45 PM »
Maybe you misheard "lycopene"  :)

You're saying the new Cento are better?
Matt

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 06:16:46 PM »
Maybe you misheard "lycopene"  :)

Actually tomatoes (as with some other nightshade including tobacco) do contain nicotine, but you would have to eat ~20-250kg of tomatoes to equal 1 cigarette, so I don't think I'd worry too much about a tomato addiction. My guess is the lycopene is much better for you than the nicotine is bad.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199308053290619#t=article
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 02:02:26 PM »
They're a gateway vegetable.  You've got a tomato monkey on your back.  I know they're a fruit, but it didn't sound as funny to me.  Comedy > Accuracy
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Online Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • On the journey
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 05:01:53 PM »
The last can I bought needed quite a bit of seasoning to make it palatable, tomatoes tasted very fresh not so ripe.  Very thick and nice vibrant red color.  I use it in my pizza hut clone sauce.

Offline DeanS

• Pizza Esistenzialista
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 11:36:23 AM »
Thanks for the thoughts. It is possible I am addicted to the glutamates, too  :drool:

I am going through my last couple 2015 cans and the difference in freshness is definitely clear. I am thinking it could have more to do with harvest/manufacturing variance. 6in1 were always exceptionally fresh tasting and I know I tasted cans that were older by a year. 6in1 are better for pizza, but I use Cento recently since their thick consistency works perfectly for fast marinaras

Here is last night's pasta - I have taken to using tomatoes straight from the can and toasted breadcrumbs and pine nuts as a topping. The contrast between fresh and cooked tomatoes is much stronger this way, it has been the best tip I've received from pizzamaking.com and I strongly recommend using that contrast

wordpress