A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Tacos of all flavors  (Read 48697 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Tacos of all flavors
« on: April 26, 2013, 10:25:55 AM »
Post your favorite tacos here.

One of my favorites: chicken marinated in orange and lime juice, garlic ground in salt, fresh oregano, and pepper then grilled over mesquite. Onions, cilantro, green sauce (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,18462.msg179517.html#msg179517), fresh jalapeno, avocado.

Perfect with a Rioja.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline p.elkjaer

Re: Tacos of all flavors
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 10:32:34 AM »
Oh man that poultry looks good!
Whats The recipe on the flatbread, or was it bought finished?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 10:50:58 AM »
Whats The recipe on the flatbread, or was it bought finished?

It's a white corn tortilla I got at a local market.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 11:05:41 AM »
F.  N.   Yeah! Just how I like my yard birds....that place between caramel and scorched, citrus and spice.....now I have to hit the sack and get up in 6 hours and make a quick sandwich for 12 hours of running, if the last 2 nites were any indicator. Maybe I'll dream of tacos!!!!! :-D
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 02:11:47 PM »
Craig, You seem to be the resident taco guru here so Im going to ask you if you were asked to make shredded chicken taco's, what ingredients would you add to the chicken to get authentic flavor. I will be using chicken thigh's.

I have tried many online recipes and to be honest, they have either been too salty, too bland, or all i taste is tomato or salsa.

This one taco joint (not around anymore) used to make "burrito size" chicken taco's that were out of this world good and from what i remember they used to scoop there shredded chicken out of this pot of red liquid. I dont remember ever seeing any tomato's or any other veg in the shredded chicken. The liquid wasnt thick but wasnt watery or atleast they drain it good enough that liquids didnt come pouring out of the taco.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 03:24:46 PM »
Craig, You seem to be the resident taco guru here so Im going to ask you if you were asked to make shredded chicken taco's, what ingredients would you add to the chicken to get authentic flavor. I will be using chicken thigh's.

I have tried many online recipes and to be honest, they have either been too salty, too bland, or all i taste is tomato or salsa.

This one taco joint (not around anymore) used to make "burrito size" chicken taco's that were out of this world good and from what i remember they used to scoop there shredded chicken out of this pot of red liquid. I dont remember ever seeing any tomato's or any other veg in the shredded chicken. The liquid wasnt thick but wasnt watery or atleast they drain it good enough that liquids didnt come pouring out of the taco.
I am certainly no "Craig" in the kitchen but I once went on a mission to find out about that beautiful "red liquid" the chicken was in at your favorite old place.
I've made dry rubs, marinades, and sauces using just a few ingredients based around Chili Pequins, Annato seeds/paste, and Achiote Molido. Separately and in combinations. I love that bright red/orange color in a pot of shredded chicken meat ready for tacos.

http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/pork/mexican-annatto-achiote-paste-adobo-mexicano-de-achiote.html

« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 03:29:16 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 03:25:33 PM »

"Authentic flavor" could mean a lot of things depending on who you ask. To me, it usually means simple.  The way I would prepare the meat for a shredded chicken taco would make something like you described. Chicken thigh is the best cut for a shredded chicken taco. I would call this "authentic:"

I'd take 4 or 5 dried guajillo chilies, take the stems off, cut them open, take out the seeds, and toast them on a hot dry cast iron skillet for 10 seconds/side or so until they are fragrant. You might need to press them down on the skillet with a spatula. Cut them in 1" strips. You should be able to find these in a large supermarket. If not, dried New Mexico chilies or dried California chilies would be a good substitute.

Brown 6-8 skin-on thighs in some vegetable oil in the (large) cast iron skillet*. Get them nice and dark golden brown as this is the only color they are going to get, and brown = flavor. Juices sticking to the bottom of the pan and browning is good - very good.

Add boiling hot water to come up about 1/2 way on the thighs. Put in your toasted chili strips, a couple cloves of crushed garlic, and one large bay leaf broken into three pieces (always break your bay leaves). Depending on my mood, I might or might not add a peeled, diced, and seeded fresh tomato. I would NEVER NEVER NEVER add canned tomato! Add a couple turns of freshly cracked black pepper and a tiny pinch of salt. That's it. You almost don't need any salt, and you can always add more later. Make sure everything you add is pushed down into the water.

Cover it with a piece of foil and put it into a 350F oven until the chicken is ready to shred (~30-45 min). You would really have to try to overcook it. Just don't let the pan go dry - if it get's low, add some boiling hot water. When it is ready, shred it and add back come of the cooking liquid to make it moist but not wet. Taste the liquid first. If it is really concentrated, you might want to thin it with a little bit of water. Save any leftover liquid. It makes great rice another day.

Serve it with anything you like, but for authentic, this would be served on two stacked steamed corn tortillas with diced white onion and cilantro and a slice of lime on the side for the eater to squeeze on it if s/he likes. Perhaps a slice of grilled jalapeno or a grilled green onion. Maybe a slice of avocado. Probably not a sauce with a moist shredded meat like this.

*A cast iron skillet really works best for this - you could use something else. You could also brown in bathes in a skillet and bake in a roasting pan if you wanted to make a larger batch.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 03:33:46 PM »
I am certainly no "Craig" in the kitchen but I once went on a mission to find out about that beautiful "red liquid" the chicken was in at your favorite old place.
I've made dry rubs, marinades, and sauces using just a few ingredients based around Chili Pequins, Annato seeds/paste, and Achiote Molido. Separately and in combinations. I love that bright red/orange color in a pot of shredded chicken meat ready for tacos.

http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/pork/mexican-annatto-achiote-paste-adobo-mexicano-de-achiote.html

Yes, achiote will also give a red color, but it is more of a red-orange than a deep red. It is also a VERY different flavor. I love it on pork. In a marinade, it works very well with orange juice+lime juice, oregano, and salt. It's also good with salt and vinegar.

It's also really good in pinto beans - make a big pot of beans with salt pork and onions and just a bit of achiote.

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 04:07:18 PM »
I'll have to look into that paste Bob.

Craig, I think I have dried pablanos on hand. I remember searching everywhere for mild chiles and these where all i could find. Its been over 6 months since i bought them at this mexican produce market. Im pretty sure they told me they were pablanos. :-\ google images seem to suggest so anyway. Everything else dried around here are crazy hot chiles.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 04:13:27 PM »
Dried poblano = ancho.

That will be fine. It will be a slightly sweeter, slightly raisny flavor.

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 04:16:23 PM »
Dried poblano = ancho.

That will be fine. It will be a slightly sweeter, slightly raisny flavor.

Yeah thats what i have. The seeds are a bit hot but the slightly gooey stuff isnt hot and taste like raisin's now that you mention it.

Its dried inside but at the bottom of the chiles theres a few spots where its sticky and it taste yummy.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 04:18:31 PM by FeCheF »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 04:24:13 PM »
Just some regular 'ol grill roasted poblano's, onion,garlic and tomatillios will give a nice sauce for some shred chicken taco's. Of course, it will be green in color...actually, I think that is pretty much what is called salsa verde. I like to leave a bit of char flecks when cleaning the roasted peps an tomatillios before blending it all together...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 04:26:48 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 04:57:20 PM »
Just some regular 'ol grill roasted poblano's, onion,garlic and tomatillios will give a nice sauce for some shred chicken taco's. Of course, it will be green in color...actually, I think that is pretty much what is called salsa verde. I like to leave a bit of char flecks when cleaning the roasted peps an tomatillios before blending it all together...

These are dried red pablanos Bob.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 05:01:26 PM »
These are dried red pablanos Bob.
I understand...that's why I said the grill charred fresh ones would be a green sauce. Just tossing out ideas for some authentic Mexican yard bird dishes my man.  :chef:

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 05:06:19 PM »
Rub some Taco Bell taco seasoning packet on some big 'ol breasteses and grill those bad boys off just like Craig's most excellent grilled bird....that's how it gets done in NC baby!  ;D
Pass the limes...

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 05:24:16 PM »
Rub some Taco Bell taco seasoning packet on some big 'ol breasteses and grill those bad boys off just like Craig's most excellent grilled bird....that's how it gets done in NC baby!  ;D
Pass the limes...

Now I remember why I refused to eat Mexican in NC. That and the cabbage in the pico...   :-\

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 06:08:38 PM »
Pass the limes...

I am done going that route hommie. Now when im googling recipes, as soon as i see taco seasoning or packet i immediately close the browser window and delete all cookies.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 06:12:24 PM »
I am done going that route hommie. Now when im googling recipes, as soon as i see taco seasoning or packet i immediately close the browser window and delete all cookies.

;D

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 06:27:20 PM »
Heres what i got so far. 3-4 dried pablanos lightly toasted in a cast iron skillet, then simmered for 5 minutes in 1/2 cup of two xx's and 1/2 cup of water, then removed from heat and let sit for 15 minutes.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2013, 07:08:00 PM »
Good catch on the beer. I forgot to note that you need to drink a beer when making this recipe.  ;D

wordpress