A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Vegemite vs Marmite vs Promite  (Read 656 times)

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Vegemite vs Marmite vs Promite
« on: March 14, 2019, 04:50:46 PM »
Personally I like both but prefer one over the other. I don't know about the "acquired taste" thing, you either like bold flavored things or don't. Interested in what others think. Haven't tried Promite.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 05:49:39 PM by Jackitup »
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
Re: Vegemite vs Marmite
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 05:28:31 PM »
I've only ever had Marmite but I voted Vegemite because I really like the taste when I go down under.
John

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 05:32:03 PM »
Vegemite vs Marmite are for beginners. Promite is where it's at  ;D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 05:46:33 PM »
Vegemite vs Marmite are for beginners. Promite is where it's at  ;D

I hadn't heard of that til recently and haven't tried it. Is it just a stronger more concentrated version of the others? I'll add it!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Vegemite vs Marmite vs Promite
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 06:47:48 PM »
I learned about it from a kid one time when I was down under. My quote is what he told me.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 07:30:20 PM by TXCraig1 »
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 07:16:14 PM »
I learned about it for a kid one time when I was down under. My quote is what he told me.

I can rarely find ANY of them around here. When I ask for it I get the slow, tilted, confused dog head look!?!?
Jon

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 09:47:01 AM »
we've been in melbourne for the au open the last two years, haven't run into promite but tried the other two, haven't acquired the taste. When we've tried it on restaurant menus, they seem to use it sparingly.

We have an annual holiday where we serve food and wine from a different country each year. Last year was au, my wife created a dish with a dab of vegemite, the best I can say is that it wasn't offensive.  The au wine we purchased in-country was great, artisinal au semillion from the hunter valley is a thing and prices are still reasonable.

best,
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline The Pontificator

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 07:30:17 PM »
First tried "nutritional yeast spread" about a decade ago. Marmite. Instant love.  :drool:

Vegemite's a tad milder but still very good. Both are available at World Market stores.

Never had promite.

Toast that English muffin and add LOTS of real butter. Then just a little smear of the "mite". Oh, yeahh....
When's the last time you ate a salad?

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 08:23:04 PM »
If I were eating it plain I would definitely choose Vegemite, but I really like Marmite for seasoning gravy and sauces. Both are umami bombs.

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2019, 04:06:04 AM »
Came late to this one.
Good to see at least a couple of people have tried it.
Don't fall for the BS chaps - Vegemite is the true Ocker Aussie.
Marmite - German/English
Promite - American owned
Vegemite, invented in Oz, was owned by Kraft, but now back in Aussie hands as part of a nearly half billion dollar deal.
Mick

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2019, 01:18:50 PM »
The only thing good about vegemite is the lyrics from the song down under.

Offline Hanglow

• The next one will be better
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 01:22:51 PM »
Throw them into the bin, then take that bin and throw it in another bigger  bin, fill that bin with concrete and throw that into the Mariana trench then forget they were ever invented.

:P
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 01:28:06 PM by Hanglow »

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2019, 03:48:10 PM »
Throw them into the bin, then take that bin and throw it in another bigger  bin, fill that bin with concrete and throw that into the Mariana trench then forget they were ever invented.

:P

;D :-D
Not fond of them, then?
 ;D  :-D
 ( I ask as I sit in my kitchen at 6:20 am scoffing three toasted crumpets smothered in butter and vegemite )
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 03:51:23 PM by wotavidone »
Mick

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2019, 06:10:52 PM »
Love it on toast!
Jon

Offline Hanglow

• The next one will be better
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2019, 03:09:21 AM »
;D :-D
Not fond of them, then?
 ;D  :-D
 ( I ask as I sit in my kitchen at 6:20 am scoffing three toasted crumpets smothered in butter and vegemite )

How did you guess? I am not a fussy eater at all but for some reason marmite, raw celerey and peanut butter make me gag. I can eat things like surströmming fine  though  :-D

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2019, 03:54:04 AM »
How did you guess? I am not a fussy eater at all but for some reason marmite, raw celerey and peanut butter make me gag. I can eat things like surströmming fine  though  :-D
Ditch that there marmite. Vegemite is the go!
Funny thing - one of my favourite snacks is a stick of celery, with the groove filled with peanut butter and Thai sweet chili sauce.
Had to google Surstromming.
That'd take courage to try, but I guess I'd give it a go, so long as I was assured that the tin I had was the real deal.
One thing I will never ever knowingly eat: balut.
Mick