A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Tacos of all flavors  (Read 49295 times)

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Re: Tacos of all flavors
« Reply #560 on: August 19, 2019, 04:40:55 PM »
Elk is my favorite venison.

I would agree, LOVE ELK!!!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #561 on: August 19, 2019, 06:12:33 PM »
Axis deer.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #562 on: August 19, 2019, 06:26:01 PM »
Axis deer.

Sounds like you guys have plenty of them down there! And from what I've read, year round season and no limit! The new pig, WITH antlers!!!😊
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #563 on: August 20, 2019, 08:01:36 AM »
Elk is my favorite venison.

x10 ^^^

I'm just too old to carry them.  Maybe one more "old man" guided elk hunt left in me.

Offline Whisky

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #564 on: August 20, 2019, 09:24:46 AM »
Inspiration.....All this talk of meat, and the fact that one of my favorite seasonings just became available again after a few year hunt for replacement ingredients, well let's just say I'm eating grilled Tatonka Dust seasoned elk strap for supper tonight!

Maybe I'll even make a taco out of it!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #565 on: August 21, 2019, 01:56:20 PM »
Garnachas oaxaqueñas: cross between a taco and a tostada. Braised short-rib, cotija cheese, chipotle sauce on a fried masa cake. Cabbage chilito on the side. Thicker than a tortilla, thinner than a sope, better than either IMO, especially when the puck of beef fat removed from the cooled braise is used to fry the little masa cakes.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #566 on: August 21, 2019, 04:43:59 PM »
Damn.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #567 on: August 22, 2019, 02:41:04 PM »
We've got a new place in town.   https://www.tatuny.com/

I already had tacos on the menu for tonight and Lebanese mezze for tomorrow before I found out about this place.  I haven't been this excited about a new restaurant menu in a long time.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 05:19:05 PM by jkb »
John

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #568 on: August 22, 2019, 08:22:03 PM »

I'd grab some of the tacos arabes. Some of the best Lebanese food I've ever eaten has been in Mexico. There is a rich history of Lebanese migration to Mexico. See tacos al pastor.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #569 on: August 22, 2019, 09:01:02 PM »

I already had tacos on the menu for tonight and Lebanese mezze for tomorrow before I found out about this place.  I haven't been this excited about a new restaurant menu in a long time.

There tortilla's look pretty damn good....I don't know about the 16 bucks for a few pieces of squid though... But that's the way things are now days...😏
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #570 on: August 22, 2019, 10:49:10 PM »
Got some lingua tacos in my future! Broke down 3 tongues for vac packing today! Will corn some, pickle some with onions, lingua tacos.........EVERYONE likes some tongue!!!! >:D
Jon

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #571 on: August 22, 2019, 11:07:01 PM »
EVERYONE likes some tongue!!!! >:D

Sure.... but dems some mighty big action.  🤯
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #572 on: August 23, 2019, 03:28:46 AM »
Got some lingua tacos in my future! Broke down 3 tongues for vac packing today! Will corn some, pickle some with onions, lingua tacos.........EVERYONE likes some tongue!!!! >:D

The simple lengua tacos at this place are amazing:

John

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #573 on: August 24, 2019, 11:36:16 AM »

Sure.... but dems some mighty big action.  🤯

Pro tip:  Don't marry your GF.
John

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • A sour dough makes a happy me
« Reply #574 on: August 24, 2019, 12:09:31 PM »
Taco de chicharrón en salsa roja:
Drool.

Got a recipe to recommend?
-Heine. Mostly Neapolitan sourdough pizzas in an electric Effeuno P134H.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #575 on: August 24, 2019, 01:14:18 PM »
Drool.

Got a recipe to recommend?

Not much of a recipe - just something I throw together based on mood and available ingredients. This salsa was made from charred tomatoes (ripe Romas - never canned) and charred fresh chiles (serranos and jalapeños - our preference is about 1 of each type chile per 5 tomatoes), then pureed in the blender with onion, garlic, salt, and chicken stock. Then cooked in a little lard until all the ingredients are cooked and flavors meld. The consistency of the salsa needs to be thinner than usual since the chicharrónes will absorb a lot of moisture. I just cook the chicharrónes in the sauce long enough to rehydrate till they are just soft and chewy - not too soggy. 

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #576 on: August 24, 2019, 02:23:18 PM »
Not much of a recipe - just something I throw together based on mood and available ingredients.

That's nearly always my response when people ask me for a recipe.
John

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #577 on: August 24, 2019, 02:36:35 PM »

What did you pay for the tongue?  A local supermarket has a Jewish deli counter, but the prices are so crazy that I don't know the price because I refuse to pay it.   Something like $24/lb.  Sable is $40/lb.
John

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #578 on: August 24, 2019, 05:28:38 PM »
$24/lb, must be cured and/or pickled! These were whole, raw tongue at $3.99/lb and I thought that was high-ish! But there is very little waste on them. Seems like only a few years ago they were around a buck! I assume the sable is already cured and smoked or something to get 40!!!
Talk to a good local butcher and see what they can do, Costco, Sam's, RD may be able to also but you may have to buy a 20-30 pound case, sometimes less, worth a few phone calls!
Jon

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #579 on: September 02, 2019, 01:58:27 PM »
Grilled basa.