A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Tacos of all flavors  (Read 49282 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Tacos of all flavors
« Reply #540 on: August 16, 2019, 11:19:13 PM »
wow biil! how did u prepare the pork belly?

SV @ 133F overnight
Deep fry in fresh lard to create crust

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #541 on: August 17, 2019, 12:30:28 AM »
Did you SV the belly in the guajillo/ancho sauce?
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #542 on: August 17, 2019, 07:47:16 AM »
Did you SV the belly in the guajillo/ancho sauce?

Not exactly. I put some leftover enchilada sauce in the pouch with the pork pieces. The next day I added the cooking liquid (enchilada sauce plus pork juices) to the blender with the rehydrated guajillos and anchos for making the chile puree.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #543 on: August 17, 2019, 09:52:18 AM »
I can't find my pix of my bbq tacos.  Have to shoot some new ones. 

Apple smoked salmon, tequilla, lime, mango-poblano chili-corn relish, cabbage, fried corn tortilla. 

Chopped mesquite smoked tritip, cheese, lettuce tomato, salsa, fried corn tortilla.

All-time favorite...apple smoked Pulled pork, cheese, lettuce, tomato, salsa, fried corn tortilla.

I know...no pix, didn't happen. :-[

Found some...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 10:42:35 AM by bbqchuck »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #544 on: August 17, 2019, 02:24:35 PM »
Let's see the impossible meat version of anything in this thread  :-D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #545 on: August 17, 2019, 02:36:14 PM »
Let's see the impossible meat version of anything in this thread  :-D

Let's meet (meat?) in 20 years for tacos and see what technology hath wrought. I'm betting CRISPR-derived taco fillings will be on the menu. Maybe chunks-o-meat from genetically modified plant producing flesh proteins and lipids with guajillo/ancho aromatics? Mark your calendar?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #546 on: August 17, 2019, 04:14:12 PM »
Maybe, or maybe guajillo/ancho soylent green tacos... I'd say the two scenarios are about equally likely...
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #547 on: August 17, 2019, 04:19:56 PM »
Maybe, or maybe guajillo/ancho soylent green tacos... I'd say the two scenarios are about equally likely...

Great movie btw!!!😊
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 04:24:12 PM by Jackitup »
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline steelplayer

• wailuaveggie
« Reply #548 on: August 17, 2019, 05:11:17 PM »
I have posted many tacos on this thread, not one of them had animal derived products.  I don't remember being shamed for that.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 05:12:49 PM by steelplayer »
Tom

Where ever you are, you are fives miles from somewhere else...

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #549 on: August 17, 2019, 05:15:53 PM »
I have posted many tacos on this thread, not one of them had animal derived products.  I don't remember being shamed for that.

Yours Tom is many steps above the average vegan dishes and I would not miss the meat were you cooking it! But, correct me if I'm wrong, have you posted any using any of this new engineered meat?
Jon

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #550 on: August 17, 2019, 05:18:36 PM »

Yes, you have. Very good looking/sounding ones, in fact. My bad. Please limit my sarcasm to the meat based tacos here and only in the context of this thread: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=58877.0

Offline steelplayer

• wailuaveggie
« Reply #551 on: August 17, 2019, 05:22:08 PM »
I have not... however, I think we need to define "engineered".  Impossible burgers nor Beyond burgers are not engineered and they aren't meat. They are recipes based on plant ingredients not animal.  Now this is engineered meat.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90203024/this-lab-grown-beef-will-be-in-restaurants-in-3-years
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 05:32:54 PM by steelplayer »
Tom

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #552 on: August 17, 2019, 05:30:49 PM »
I wouldn't put the Impossible or Beyond stuff on a Taco any more than I would put American Cheese on a taco. Grilled veggies, hibiscus flower and jack fruit all make great Tacos though.

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #553 on: August 17, 2019, 05:32:05 PM »
I have not... however, I think we need to define "engineered".  Impossible burgers nor Beyond burgers are not engineered. They are recipes based on plant ingredients not animal.  Now this is engineered meat.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90203024/this-lab-grown-beef-will-be-in-restaurants-in-3-years

Agreed, but the impossible and beyond from a nutrition standpoint is not much better or worse than the real meat, albiet it allows a person to eat something similar without involving killing something.! And also agree it kinda leaked over from another thread. We all get overly passionate at times, no harm is rarely intended!
Jon

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #554 on: August 17, 2019, 05:48:19 PM »
I have not... however, I think we need to define "engineered".  Impossible burgers nor Beyond burgers are not engineered and they aren't meat. They are recipes based on plant ingredients not animal.

Even the word "meat" itself has become a point of contention.  From the article posted in the "End of Meat?" thread:

"Big beef successfully lobbied for a labeling law in Missouri banning any products from identifying themselves as meat unless they are “derived from harvested production livestock or poultry.” (But this is wrong; the word simply meant sustenance for the first thousand years of its existence.) Similar labeling laws have passed or are pending in a dozen more states, most of them big ranching ones."

Rolls

Getting old, memory is the second thing to go......Can't remember the first.

Offline steelplayer

• wailuaveggie
« Reply #555 on: August 17, 2019, 05:53:25 PM »
interesting... animal source is the number two definition.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/meat?src=search-dict-box
Tom

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #556 on: August 17, 2019, 06:07:31 PM »
Not unlike "venison" that used to describe ANY animal hunted or caught as in wild game INCLUDING deer. Now it is used JUST to describe deer!
Jon

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #557 on: August 19, 2019, 09:23:19 AM »
Not unlike "venison" that used to describe ANY animal hunted or caught as in wild game INCLUDING deer. Now it is used JUST to describe deer!

I'm 63 years old and have hunted critters all my life, from about 1962 on.  I missed the era where "venison" was used for every animal hunted.  My first recollection of a dead animal hanging in the garage in Montana was  an antelope.  I don't recall anyone calling it "venison".  How far back was the use of "venison" more generically?

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #558 on: August 19, 2019, 03:22:57 PM »
I'm 64 and I barely remember it as a kid from some of the oldtimers! I'm just guessing the definition changed over time 1800s into early 1900s. And carried on some beyond that. In many countries venison is still used to describe multiple game species, usually hoofed at that!

What is the meat of a deer called?
Venison is a specific term commonly used today to describe game meat from deer but historically the word, derived from the Latin “venatio” (to hunt), was used to define meat eaten from many hunted game animals or “beasts of chase” and included elk, other cervids, and wild boar.
Jon

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #559 on: August 19, 2019, 04:24:02 PM »
Elk is my favorite venison.
John

wordpress