A D V E R T I S E M E N T


Author Topic: Why does this work?  (Read 1018 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

  • Supporting Member
  • *
  • Posts: 3052
  • Location: New Jersey
Re: Why does this work?
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2015, 11:03:07 PM »
Mitch, Peter,
Yes, thank you both so much. Mitch, yes you're right about multiple flours..that can make some terrific bread. I made a Forkish Field Blend 1 (or maybe 2) the other day...and totally played aroun d with the flours. Since I was using a lot of whole grains, i thought it kight throw off my HR level a lot, so I added the water gradually to make sure I wasn't over or unde-hydrating. There was certainly some guesswork involved, but I knew how I wanted the dough to feel, and by the second stretch/fold, i knew it was going to be fine. I did leave out the VWG this time (I know it's not a well-loved ingredient here) but next tiime I bake that way, it's back in the mix. The loaf just didn't get the rise I would like: there was only about 25% BF in the mix, the rest WW and rye flours. Bring on the VWG...that's why they call it vital!  :-D

That's a great tool, Peter..thanks to you and Boy Hits Car (who I guess was here well before my time)

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

  • Supporting Member
  • *
  • Posts: 3052
  • Location: New Jersey
Re: Why does this work?
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2015, 11:26:47 AM »
First, ..on the dough calculator for bread, I'll have to play with it some more, because i see that I was entering my values incorrectly. I was trying to work with the levain % from Forkish's recipes and getting results that were off...but then saw the very small print in his book, that the precentages were of the total recipe flour. So, onward on that...

Okay, Mitch...your encouragement to experiment with the SD issue took me to a good result. Well, first, let me say that the results aren't pretty. ..the photos that is. Let me start piling on the excuses   :-[ Okay, well, I'm a little out of practice int eh home oven after BS'ing (also Blackstoning) all summer. So I didn't rotate the pies and got an uneven bake..also this morning on pie #2, inexplicably (actually, I can explain it: I'm an idiot) when I switched over to Broil pre-bake, I turned Bake off..but forgot to turn Broil on...so the steel was getting colder by the moment and wife needed to grab breakfast fast and head out the door ..uh-oh Breakfast Pizza 9-1-1. So speed was of the essence, and well, quality was a bit off.

But more important, the good news: The experiment, as you suggested, was successful. I got a good dough after the RT fermentation (timing below) and still a good dough after it sat in the fridge for another 2 days. Both very flavorful, different but not dramatically.

To wit:

100 % BF
64 (or actually I think it was 65?% )HR..I'll explain below
5 % active homemade starter ((   I call it JPB...who knows why  ;))
1.75-ish % salt

Hand mixed, rested 20 min, 3 sets S/F at 20 min intervals. Then to RT 69F    11 hours later, balled #1 DB, and returned to RT. At 15 hours, the dough was progressing too quickly, so put into cooler with ice packs at 61F overnight. At 22 hours, both #1 and #2 pit in fridge at 35F.    ( seem to be missing a note when I took the dough out of frdige..ordinarily about an hour..probably what I did here) Three hours later,  Wednesday 8 AM , baked # 1 on steel, launch IR 645 , oven at 550. Baked  4 minutes, broil for 2. very good flavor, nice crispiness. Sourdough noticeable but very mild

Thursday Ball #2    6:45 am Balled and to counter. Then back to fridge at 12:30 pm Thursday  fully fermented. Friday morning 6 am, ball to counter, Bake about a hr later, dough temo at opening 55F. no problem, easy to open, no  tearing or holes.  Because of issue above with oven temp turned off, and need for speed, i left broiler on for entire bake. 4 minutes. Softer than my usual pie but not at all objectionable. Only thing (other than over-charred rim due to lack of turning) that wasn't as good as i'd hoped was that the rim was unusually chewy.,Was it the SD? Unlikely over mixed..by hand. Also, the bottom color more pale than I prefer..a lot more pale, but i noted this before withmy SD pizza bakes. Not really a problem, just a visual I don't love...somewhat yellow-ish rather than brown.

But the main thing...the dough holding up just fine, was confirmed,. And I do agree Mitch that there's not much flavor improvement to be gained with the longer time..with my SD at least. When I use IDY, I definitely prefer the flavors of a longer ferment. That doesn't seem to translate to my SD pies.

I can see making this recipe for a change of pace, but for my go-to formula, I'd go with Scholl's by far.

Thanks for your encouragement in working this through!

Some photos below (they tasted better than they look)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 11:29:06 AM by Jersey Pie Boy »

A D V E R T I S E M E N T


 

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress