Author Topic: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's  (Read 165676 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's
« Reply #1025 on: June 14, 2016, 01:08:44 PM »
There are tradeoffs in bake time changes; that being said, if you want 10 minute bake times, your home oven is a lot simpler place to do it.

"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline texmex

« Reply #1026 on: June 14, 2016, 01:13:00 PM »
Indeed, tried the BS at 700 as an experiment and burnt the S#$%$ out of it. Wanted to see If I can bake an American pie style in a few minutes. Learned to tame down the flame significantly and keep telling myself, what's the hurry? I have also wondered what a fast high bake would differ in comparison to a longer slow bake with regards to the cooking and doneness of the ingredients but then I guess the word doneness would be different from 1 person to the next.

I wonder if a longer bake would extract more flavors from the ingredients. My local pizza joint that I used to buy from amazed me how he would cheap out by slicing his mushrooms so thin yet they would yield so much flavor. I can't seen to taste my mushrooms no matter how much I load them on a pie. Maybe its the bake time? I think his pies are in the oven for 10 mins whereas my bake times have been half that.

Doneness is absolutely subjective.  Many of my home oven bakes are exactly what I emulate with the BS. 3 to 4 minutes average.  Sometimes, the fresh veggie toppings are not charring/cooking as quickly as fatty meats, so I spritz or soak them in oil so they will feel the fire with the same or similar levels of intensity. 

I was planning for a Neapolitan attempt soon, but I promised my nephews a pizza party and don't want to disappoint them with burnt pizza on Thursday
Reesa

Offline carl333

• Supporting Member
  • Always trying to improve my dough.
« Reply #1027 on: June 14, 2016, 01:25:58 PM »
You got the NP bug. It's there. It's just that is hasn't come to bite you yet.
Carl

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #1028 on: June 14, 2016, 10:01:21 PM »

Also, are you using the stock BS motor with this stone?

Thanks,
Matt

Matt,

My stock BS motor died and I did get a new motor.

Norma
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 07:27:06 AM by norma427 »

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1029 on: June 15, 2016, 07:04:28 AM »
Matt,

My stock BS motor died and I did get at new motor.

Norma

Thank you Norma
Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1030 on: June 15, 2016, 07:47:08 AM »
Norma, can you tell me how thick the stone is (without the feet)? The website indicates that it is 7/8" but I'm not sure whether that includes the feet or not. Based on your pictures, it looks thicker than my "Old Stone", and I'm considering an upgrade.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt,

These are the photos of the stock BS stone, the Metalcraft stone and a firebrick.

Norma

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1031 on: June 17, 2016, 07:04:31 AM »
Matt,

These are the photos of the stock BS stone, the Metalcraft stone and a firebrick.

Norma

Thank you very much Norma!
Matt

Offline tdub154420

« Reply #1032 on: January 16, 2017, 07:36:31 PM »
Hey Norma,

I've been using my new BlackStone for the past month.  I don't have an infrared thermometer and its been a struggle determining the heat of the bottom stone from the attached BlackStone thermometer.

While using your BlackStone and recording the bottom stone heat with IR, did you happen to find a consistent temperature discrepancy in between the BS thermometer and your IR thermometer? For example, when your IR thermometer read the bottom stone at 550 - 650, what heat did you typically find the BS thermometer saying? 

I ask this because I have heated my BlackStone up to what its thermometer has read as 600, but if you ask the bottoms of some of my crispy scorched pizzas, the bottom stone was much much hotter than 600 degrees. 

Thanks!
- Trevor

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #1033 on: January 16, 2017, 08:07:37 PM »
Trevor, I am not Norma, but the BS thermometer measures the temp in the space above the top stone.  We normally use IR thermometers to measure the temp of the bottom stone.  So there is no simple conversion or even relation between the two.  I suggest you look for a cheap IR,  I have been using my BS for years, and still use the IR before most launches-  the temp of the bottom stone is pretty important in whether the bottom will be pale or charred when the top is done, and there is no way to tell without an IR thermometer.    You don't need anything very precise, it just has to be repeatable so that you know when the gun reads x, it is time to load the pie.

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1034 on: January 16, 2017, 08:19:02 PM »
Trevor, I am not Norma, but the BS thermometer measures the temp in the space above the top stone.  We normally use IR thermometers to measure the temp of the bottom stone.  So there is no simple conversion or even relation between the two.  I suggest you look for a cheap IR,  I have been using my BS for years, and still use the IR before most launches-  the temp of the bottom stone is pretty important in whether the bottom will be pale or charred when the top is done, and there is no way to tell without an IR thermometer.    You don't need anything very precise, it just has to be repeatable so that you know when the gun reads x, it is time to load the pie.
^^^

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1035 on: January 16, 2017, 10:07:20 PM »
Hey Norma,

I've been using my new BlackStone for the past month.  I don't have an infrared thermometer and its been a struggle determining the heat of the bottom stone from the attached BlackStone thermometer.

While using your BlackStone and recording the bottom stone heat with IR, did you happen to find a consistent temperature discrepancy in between the BS thermometer and your IR thermometer? For example, when your IR thermometer read the bottom stone at 550 - 650, what heat did you typically find the BS thermometer saying? 

I ask this because I have heated my BlackStone up to what its thermometer has read as 600, but if you ask the bottoms of some of my crispy scorched pizzas, the bottom stone was much much hotter than 600 degrees. 

Thanks!

Trevor,

I agree with Barry's post.  An IR gun is not that expensive, and it can measure your stone temperature pretty accurately.  I never used the Blackstone thermometer when baking pizzas.  The temperature of the stone can go up pretty quickly even if the dial isn't turned up really high, if the burner is on for awhile. 

Norma

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1036 on: January 16, 2017, 10:56:37 PM »
Anything I say is due to my use of low-ish NY bake temps and probably would not translate to various hotter bake styles as I describe.

I do have one use for the gauge on the BS. I don't even know what the numbers say. It might as well be faceless to me. It lets me know how hot the overall unit is from one bake to the next. My bricks get up to 625F, drop down the flam to let it stabilize about 45-50 degrees cooler. If my needle is pointing towards the 3 o'clock position or more, I know my overall oven is too hot and my bake will be more aggressive than what I want. A few more minutes pass and the needle gets to about 1 o'clock or so. Then I launch. My bakes are less dried out than it I launch when higher.

So anyhow, that's how I use my gauge Sort of a secondary measurement n overall oven hotness, and only in a relational sense based on observation.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1037 on: Yesterday at 06:46:04 AM »
Anything I say is due to my use of low-ish NY bake temps and probably would not translate to various hotter bake styles as I describe.

I do have one use for the gauge on the BS. I don't even know what the numbers say. It might as well be faceless to me. It lets me know how hot the overall unit is from one bake to the next. My bricks get up to 625F, drop down the flam to let it stabilize about 45-50 degrees cooler. If my needle is pointing towards the 3 o'clock position or more, I know my overall oven is too hot and my bake will be more aggressive than what I want. A few more minutes pass and the needle gets to about 1 o'clock or so. Then I launch. My bakes are less dried out than it I launch when higher.

So anyhow, that's how I use my gauge Sort of a secondary measurement n overall oven hotness, and only in a relational sense based on observation.

Trevor,

Roy's post about lower baked temperatures reminded me of Jeff. 

I just recalled that my friend Jeff, doesn't have an IR gun for his Blackstone.  I asked him how he knows what temperature his stone is.  He did tell me where the thermometer reading is when he launches his pizzas, but can't recall where the reading is.  If you want me to ask Jeff what the thermometer reads let me know.

This is an example of one of his pizzas at Reply 2654  https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30641.msg443600#msg443600

Jeff makes pizzas in his Blackstone for Amish pizza parties and other events, in addition to making pizzas in his Blackstone at home.

Norma

Offline tdub154420

« Reply #1038 on: Yesterday at 12:28:36 PM »
Thank you for all the replies Roy, Barry, and Norma!

After considering all of your replies and considering the external temperature conditions, since I'm in a cold climate and the BS is open faced, I understand now that it really would be extremely difficult to find any consistent discrepancy in between the BS thermometer and the bottom stone.

So last night I browsed IR thermometers on Amazon and found one pretty cheap so I ordered it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DMI632G/?tag=pmak-20

Its Prime shipping so I'm just going to put off my pizzamaking for a couple days until it comes in. I'll post my results here!
- Trevor

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #1039 on: Yesterday at 02:05:09 PM »
That IR gun is quite popular and will really help you out.
Hans

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #1040 on: Yesterday at 08:27:53 PM »
It will take a few bakes for you to find your optimal launch temp,  but I think you will be much happier with the results once you get your IR gun.