A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Where to buy insulation board for underneath.  (Read 221 times)

Tommy G, italdream and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline BANTAR1000

• I Love Pizza!
Where to buy insulation board for underneath.
« on: June 30, 2017, 11:53:34 AM »
I am trying to find alternatives to the FB board at forno bravo and am having a hard time.  I do want to use a board over vermicrete.  But,  I've been in a brick supply store, a fireplace supply store and two tile places.  Where should I go to find alternatives and what are the alternatives called?  Thanks!

Online Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Re: Where to buy insulation board for underneath.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 01:10:26 PM »
I am trying to find alternatives to the FB board at forno bravo and am having a hard time.  I do want to use a board over vermicrete.  But,  I've been in a brick supply store, a fireplace supply store and two tile places.  Where should I go to find alternatives and what are the alternatives called?  Thanks!
I did a quick search and found Jomoco in Raleigh. Little bit of a ride for you. They might know someone closer. The few places I called were very helpful and generous with their time.

http://joemoorecompany.com
Telephone: 919.832.1665
Physical Address: 1431 Gavin Street, Raleigh, NC 27608

Searches for ceramic insulation, furnace insulation or kiln insulation help.

I went with stuff from Harbison Walker but the closest one to you is in Charlotte which isn't close at all.

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 02:22:23 PM »
Gotta go to work now, but this place is in Raleigh: http://joemoorecompany.com/refractories-2/refractories-for-sale//
In grams we trust.

Offline BANTAR1000

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 11:24:59 AM »
Thanks to the both of you.  They sell stuff for boilers.  I'm waiting to hear back.  I asked a secretary for some spec info and for strength info for compression.  She said "that wasn't a number they would ever have because they don't use it for anything structural."   What other questions can I ask other than thickness @ 2", and I guess service temp of 2300 degrees?

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 12:52:45 PM »
Really, anything they sell that's a "strong, rigid board" will probably be fine. I wouldn't stress about temperature ratings -- they tend to run 1900-2300F which is plenty high (the exception is Foamglas at 900F, good stuff but I would [and did] top it with a higher-temperature board).

I don't know anyone who's used "ceramic [fiber] board", but "mineral fiber" (Insblock 19) and calcium silicate (FB board) have long records of successful use.
In grams we trust.

Offline BANTAR1000

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 12:14:36 PM »
So I found a Company in raleigh, I asked about their 2300 board.  This is what they sent me.  I asked for a spec sheet of some sort,  and the only reply I got was, "well its industry standard for installing in boilers.  We don't have spec sheets." 

I'm a little hesitant to buy something from someone who can't tell me info about their product,  ive determined three 24x36 boards will be enough.  But I just want opinions b fire I spend $210.  Is this enough info for me to buy?  Could there be something dangerous in their materials?  Thanks!

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 04:23:53 PM »
LD = Low Density. 2300 is the temperature grade (2300F). I don't know, but I doubt there is much difference between brands.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 11:41:22 PM »
Probably like https://www.unifrax.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Form-C-1424-Duraboard7-13.pdf --
Should be great under the oven.

What are the super-duty bricks for? You don't need them for the dome, and they are absolutely wrong for the deck -- they're too conductive; you want low-duty fireplace-type brick (which is cheaper, too!)  :)

Could there be something dangerous in their materials?  Thanks!

None of this stuff is good for you... as long as it's encapsulated, it's safe. I wore a nuisance-dust cartridge respirator while I was cutting and placing with my refractory boards and blankets.
In grams we trust.

Online Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #8 on: Today at 07:54:32 AM »
Everything I've read says Whitacre Greer low duty firebrick is what you want for the floor.