A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: What are some good mixes to amp up the flavor of mediocre mozz?  (Read 1651 times)

Offline holly821

• I Love Pizza!
Re: What are some good mixes to amp up the flavor of mediocre mozz?
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2017, 01:38:38 PM »
Steve,

You are correct that I do use straight cheddar on most of the market pies.  Sometimes I do add hard cheese to the mix, or maybe add some mozzarella to the cheddar.  I am not sure why but recently tired some of the cheddar that is used at market to make macaroni.  That cheddar didn't work to make macaroni.  The cheddar wanted to string too much and never melted right.  :-D

Norma

Hi Norma,
 I went to Wegman's and bought an aged white cheddar ... it was nothing but grease .... is there a specific cheddar that melts better than others?  Or it is all trial and error!   Pizza making has been an EXPENSIVE hobby with all my mishaps so far  :-D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2017, 06:35:23 PM »

Hi Norma,
 I went to Wegman's and bought an aged white cheddar ... it was nothing but grease .... is there a specific cheddar that melts better than others?  Or it is all trial and error!   Pizza making has been an EXPENSIVE hobby with all my mishaps so far  :-D

Holly,

In a way it is trial and error to find a good cheddar for pizza. I went on the hunt for a good cheddar for many years.  On the boardwalk thread I did find a good retail cheddar.  The cheddar is the Cracker Barrel Vermont sharp white cheddar.

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/products/cracker-barrel-vermont-sharp-wh-294.aspx

It says sharp but it is mild and melts well on a pizza.  Just make sure you don't use too much cheese/cheddar on a pizza though.  It's all about balance in how the sauce and cheese interact.  You can use a decent mozzarella and mix with the Cracker Barrel Vermont white sharp cheddar too.

I made many mishaps went I first starting making pizzas and still do.  To give you an example I made a Sicilian in a square pan and a round pan pizza recently.  Both were from different doughs, but they had the same toppings except for one cheese.  The way the sauce was applied, or how much cheese that was put on the round pan pizza sure made a difference and not in a good way.  :-D

Norma

Offline holly821

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2017, 08:32:59 AM »
Holly,

In a way it is trial and error to find a good cheddar for pizza. I went on the hunt for a good cheddar for many years.  On the boardwalk thread I did find a good retail cheddar.  The cheddar is the Cracker Barrel Vermont sharp white cheddar.

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/products/cracker-barrel-vermont-sharp-wh-294.aspx

It says sharp but it is mild and melts well on a pizza.  Just make sure you don't use too much cheese/cheddar on a pizza though.  It's all about balance in how the sauce and cheese interact.  You can use a decent mozzarella and mix with the Cracker Barrel Vermont white sharp cheddar too.

I made many mishaps went I first starting making pizzas and still do.  To give you an example I made a Sicilian in a square pan and a round pan pizza recently.  Both were from different doughs, but they had the same toppings except for one cheese.  The way the sauce was applied, or how much cheese that was put on the round pan pizza sure made a difference and not in a good way.  :-D

Norma

Norma,

Thank you for the tip. I'll give this brand a try.   I'm glad I am not alone in my struggles to get this right! 

A D V E R T I S E M E N T