A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: I almost forgot how good these are!  (Read 22503 times)

Offline hotsawce

Re: I almost forgot how good these are!
« Reply #120 on: May 15, 2019, 03:20:44 AM »
How do you think the pie would turn out if you did it hand stretched NY style?

Sure:

100% power flour
56% water
2.5% salt
0.5% Fresh yeast

Online bakeshack

« Reply #121 on: May 15, 2019, 07:59:09 AM »
How do you think the pie would turn out if you did it hand stretched NY style?

Iíve done it before and posted it earlier on this thread.  I purposely opened it just like Joe and Pats based on a few videos I watched using finger tamping but I lifted the skin to remove some flour on the bottom.   

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #122 on: May 15, 2019, 11:16:31 AM »
Iíve done it before and posted it earlier on this thread.  I purposely opened it just like Joe and Pats based on a few videos I watched using finger tamping but I lifted the skin to remove some flour on the bottom.

That's a fantastic looking pizza  :drool:
the proof is in the pizza

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #123 on: May 15, 2019, 01:18:55 PM »
Beautiful. I haven't made a lower hydration dough in a while - do you find the crumb or airiness/springiness to be adversely or significantly affected?

Online bakeshack

« Reply #124 on: May 15, 2019, 02:13:33 PM »
Beautiful. I haven't made a lower hydration dough in a while - do you find the crumb or airiness/springiness to be adversely or significantly affected?

This is probably the only pie Iíve made with this low hydration stretched out without the rolling pin.  I really liked it as well.  The crumb structure on this one was still quite open although I donít have a photo.  The texture was close to what Iím really looking for, light and crispy, doesnít get soggy when it sits in the box but doesnít get tough, dry or chewy right away.  I feel itís a small window Iím chasing.  I want the slice to get crispy without having to reheat for a long time. 

I might consider putting back some oil in the dough at 1 or 2%.  Im not sure yet.  Iím doing a batch today with oil and bake some tomorrow.  I will post the results here. 

Online bakeshack

« Reply #125 on: May 15, 2019, 02:14:06 PM »
That's a fantastic looking pizza  :drool:

Thank you! 

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #126 on: May 15, 2019, 03:07:29 PM »
I think the key is proper fermentation/proofing and an adequately hot bake. I love Pizzatown and I know they can't be above 60% water. Guessing the same with Joe's. Both great both bake hot.

This is probably the only pie Iíve made with this low hydration stretched out without the rolling pin.  I really liked it as well.  The crumb structure on this one was still quite open although I donít have a photo.  The texture was close to what Iím really looking for, light and crispy, doesnít get soggy when it sits in the box but doesnít get tough, dry or chewy right away.  I feel itís a small window Iím chasing.  I want the slice to get crispy without having to reheat for a long time. 

I might consider putting back some oil in the dough at 1 or 2%.  Im not sure yet.  Iím doing a batch today with oil and bake some tomorrow.  I will post the results here.

Online bakeshack

« Reply #127 on: May 15, 2019, 03:35:58 PM »
I think the key is proper fermentation/proofing and an adequately hot bake. I love Pizzatown and I know they can't be above 60% water. Guessing the same with Joe's. Both great both bake hot.

Couldnít agree more!  Baking as hot as the dough can take and dialing in the optimum bake time.   

wordpress