A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Stacked brick oven  (Read 9830 times)

Offline catalina 13

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Stacked brick oven
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 01:30:10 PM »
it looks as if you have used a metal support for the upper middle bricks? otherwise  how can they not cave in with the space under it for the pie?

Offline Morgan

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 01:57:23 PM »
it looks as if you have used a metal support for the upper middle bricks? otherwise  how can they not cave in with the space under it for the pie?

I used angled iron for the roof, thats the easiest way if you dry stack a brick oven.

Offline Alligator

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2015, 04:03:38 PM »
Very  nice, impressive results for a simple DIY.

Have you modified it any, since the original build, other than removing the chimney?

Offline Morgan

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2015, 03:28:28 PM »
I dissembled the oven before winter. I didnt make any other adjustments, seemed pretty good to me.
Have to stack it again for this summer, it only takes like one hour to stack.

I might try to add some rockwool on the top/sides of the oven and see what it does to heating time.

Offline peteH

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2015, 11:26:42 AM »
I have a dry fit oven that I added rocwool around the sides and top to and the biggest improvement I noticed was how much longer it stays hot (it also sits on 4" of perlcrete).  It also uses much less wood which is nice.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2015, 01:24:07 PM »
I have a dry fit oven that I added rocwool around the sides and top to and the biggest improvement I noticed was how much longer it stays hot (it also sits on 4" of perlcrete).  It also uses much less wood which is nice.

I would welcome these improvements. What did you put on top of the rockwool ? I would like it to be weatherpoof.

Can you post pics of your oven ?

Offline peteH

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2015, 04:38:20 PM »
Here is a pic of what I did.  The outside brick layer supports the 2 x 4 frame roof and the aluminum roof material.   There is rocwool in between the outside wall and the actual oven wall.  Above the oven layer of bricks is about 10" of rocwool.  Also, below the hearth bricks is ~4-5" of perlcrete.  The vent and chimney work well once the pipe heats up.  The aluminum roof is attached with sheet metal screw around the perimeter.  There is a pitch of about 2" over the 5 foot length so water drains off.  The only thing I would change if I had the space would be to have more wall insulation.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2015, 02:42:17 AM »
WoW that looks superb :D Do you have more pictures to add when you stackd it ? If you have please add them in here.

How hot does the outer surface run after few hours of heating ? I guess those are just normal bricks on the outside.

Offline peteH

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2015, 06:57:55 AM »
Morgan, Here is a progression of the build.  Hopefully the pics are in order.  After the inside oven section, I added the second layer of bricks with space for the rocwool.  I then stacked the bricks high enough to allow rocwool on top and then the wood frame for the roof.  I had the vent custom made at a local sheet metal shop.  All the bricks are firebrick because when I was building the dryfit, I didn't know how many I needed and didn't want to have a mix of bricks, this way any brick is firebrick, a little more expensive but if I modify, I don't have to worry about which brick is what.  The only heat I get on the outside bricks is in the front and that is minimal (~130F right near the opening.  On the sides and back it is ambient temperature.  The opening changed a little so some of the initial pics were modified slightly from what you see.  There is also a throat from the oven section to the opening that is 1 brick long (8.25").  The door is a box made of stainless steel that has a layer of rocwool in between.  When hot and closed up, I lose about 120F every 12 hours, not the best but it could be worse.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2015, 05:05:14 AM »
Thanks for the pictures. I will exploit them for my own good if you dont mind.

wordpress