A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My 1st sourdough, using a levain  (Read 400 times)

Offline PizzaJeff

• I Love Pizza!
My 1st sourdough, using a levain
« on: September 21, 2016, 12:41:20 AM »
Hello all, been making woodfire pizza in a restaurant for 1.5 years now(self taught, but learned a lot here).  I have slowly been adapting my recipes, but have always used some yeast(very little). I am currently at 3.5g to 3825g flour in 1 batch, so .09%.  This batch I have going right now, I made a levain.  I have been making sourdough bread lately and seemed to me to be the best method.  My levain consisted of 100g mature starter(been going for 2 months now, regular feed) 400g caputo blue and 360g water (90% hydration).  I let that sit and develope for 6 hours and subtracted out what is in my normal recipe.  So I did, 58% hydration. 3395g flour after, 1747g water and 115g salt (I use high salt content).  I mixed the water, half the flour and the salt until it is not lumpy(everything by hand).  Once it is smooth, I added the levain(which already had a very high gluten content).  Mixed that well and added the rest of the flour... Mixed until fully integrated and went on with my usual stretch and folds.  Dough came together much faster than my normal recipe, felt awesome. Bulk fermenting right now at 66 degrees in my wine fridge.  I really hope this works out and it feels like it is going to. I should let it go for 30-36 hours, but am going to give it a try early, just going to put it at a place that is around 80 degrees for a few hours(I did make my normal dough on top of this for backup, but look forward to using this) The levain developes the gluten and flavor far before bulk ferment is my theory.  We will see how it goes.  Will post pics. 

This is a pic of my Prosciutto Pizza, It's havarti cheese, Oyster mushrooms, asparagus, prosciutto and roasted garlic cream sauce.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 12:43:39 AM by PizzaJeff »

Offline Q8Stone

• I Love Pizza!
Re: My 1st sourdough, using a levain
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 06:59:40 AM »
That's really nice, I am also trying to stop using yeast and substitute it with sourdough starter. How the rise going? And the fermentation time?