A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My first attempt at wood fired today on my grill. Disaster!  (Read 1636 times)

Offline rrpizza

• I Love Pizza!
Re: My first attempt at wood fired today on my grill. Disaster!
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2017, 03:57:21 PM »
sounds like you have a good plan ready! Hope the bake goes well  ;D

Offline kuhne

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2017, 11:01:10 PM »
I added some pics to the general daily pie update forum but I figured I should add some here since its the equipment forum and I never added any pics of my equipment. I took some pics of the pizza day on Friday. Some of those pictures are also from today as well, which is why the oven looks to be in a different position in some of the pictures.

First thing, my daughter seemed to have just exposed me but NO, I swear I did not use a rolling pin.... I swear! You can tell, the pizza would have been prettier if I did!!!

Second, huge mistake, there is the hug every amount of wood I had in the fire basket, you can see on top of the table. Since this picture was taken Ive wised up and now only use small chunks of wood so they light up quickly and instantly burn the baking steel up to temp. Stupid mistake.

Third. Mistakes of course in how I shape the dough and all those little things but I am improving bit by bit. Today's pizzas were definitely the best pizzas I've ever made but most importantly, the pepperoni and mushrooms pizza I made for myself, in which I sautéed the mushroom first with olive oil and salt before putting them in the oven with the pizza (thanks to someone in here who gave me that tip) was easily the best tasting pizza Ive ever had. And I didn't even use caputo flour, I did have some but I also had those DeLallo dough kits that have their own yeast paquet, they are quite easy to use and you get a fairly good dough in 45 mins. The pizza was on another level of what I am used to having. I even use regular store mozzarella, it wasn't the fancy kind, I also used DeLallo pizza sauce and also pepperoni from a brand we like.

I guess what I am trying to say is, not using the best ingredients, (but still pretty good) not being that good at shaping pizzas and not being that good with my oven (I still get some burnt crust that I wouldn't like to see) it was easily the best pizza Ive ever had, much better than my favorite restaurant here. So I start to wonder... just how good do the things you guys come up with taste? I see the pictures in these forums and if my sorry excuse of a pizza tasted that good... all i can say is Jesus Christ I hope I can taste one of the ones I see here one day.

I hope I get around to making more pizzas this week, Ive been making so much that I need a rest I broke my toe last week and finally it caught up to me and my foot is a bit swollen, plus I think my family has had enough pizzas for a few days. Ill try to have another baking session next week and will come here to post pics and hope to get more tips from you all.

I will of course keep on coming daily to the forums to see what you guys come up with and comment!

Hope your enjoy the pics

« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 01:27:36 AM by kuhne »

Offline kuhne

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2017, 11:24:35 PM »
More pictures
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 11:27:43 PM by kuhne »

Offline kuhne

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2017, 11:32:34 PM »
More pics

Offline rrpizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2017, 06:46:14 PM »
Nice! It looks like you've made some great strides since the first bake. Glad you and the fam enjoyed!

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2017, 06:58:44 PM »
Big change from your first pies. Bet it feels good. Nice job.

Offline kuhne

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2017, 08:55:08 PM »
Thanks guys! Yeah, taking time to shape the pizza a little bit better was about 70% of what helped me get those pizzas looking a bit better, the other 30 percent was that I know how to use my equipment a bit more, so I try to get less burnt crust and at least yesterday I managed to get 4 straight pizzas with little to no burnt crust, just the expected leoparding.

It's crazy how much being in this forum helped, now I am really obsessed coming here and reading what other people have to say and looking at pictures of their pizzas and setups.

Thanks for everything, Ill show more pics next time! Hopefully with improvements!

Offline kuhne

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2017, 08:08:34 PM »
Made a few today, made some mistakes on the first three so they are not worth showing  but the fourth one was great! For my standards that is. Very thin crust.

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2017, 09:55:09 PM »
freaking looks great!!!!   nice job!!!  i'd pay some good money for that pie!!!!
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

-John Candy(Stripes)

Offline kuhne

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2017, 02:40:38 AM »
freaking looks great!!!!   nice job!!!  i'd pay some good money for that pie!!!!

You are so nice, thank you very much, you made my day.

I used a low hydration caputo recipe and I don't know why, probably I over stretched but I didn't get any puff outside and accidentally came out looking like that and it looked cool, almost as if I had planned it all along!

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2017, 01:36:08 PM »
i love that kind of thin crust!!  nice work!!  looks delicious!! 
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

-John Candy(Stripes)

Offline kuhne

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2017, 09:30:48 PM »
It's been a while since I updated this thread, part of it is because I post my pics in the daily update thread but also because I hadn't seen any significant improvements that made me want to update this, I made a personal margherita today on my grill, I liked how it came out!

Recipe was 100% caputo pizzeria, 65% hydration, 6 hours bulk rise, 3 hours ball rise, 2 days in the fridge, took them out 4 hours before stretching.

A solution I saw some people using was adding a second stone to the kettle pizza, this gets the stone closer to the top while also cooling down the bottom and keeping from burning. My problem is I didn't want to cool down the bottom, 800+ stone is great, so I just modified my techniques a bit, I bake on the stone for about 20 seconds, then 180 spin, another 20 seconds, by this point the bottom is done, then I raise the pizza with the peel and put a metal pizza plate on top of the stone (it can be anything really) and rest the peel on top of the plate. Now the pizza is permanently raised and i dont even have to touch the peel anymore, I just grab my pizza spinners and start spinning constantly until I like the charring and then dome for about 8 to 10 seconds.

Seems to be the way to go and definitely the way I will bake on my KP from now on.

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2017, 06:57:31 AM »
Nice work.  Instead of a pizza plate, some use a pizza screen under the pie after the bottom has nearly enough char. 

Offline kuhne

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2017, 12:10:20 AM »
Thank you! I do own one of those pizza screens and I've used it but I found that it gives the bottom of the pizza a look that shows you were using a screen and I really like that spotted bottom you get directly from the stone, but those screens are really good for keeping crusts from burning, I think I've seen restaurants or big pizza events where the chefs are using them in their ovens to be able to manage such a large pizza turn out.