A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My oven and kitchen build  (Read 6407 times)

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: My oven and kitchen build
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2013, 10:15:11 PM »
Looks great, where is the smoker, propane?
What is on the menu?
Can't wait for PARTY pics.
Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline benny8

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2013, 05:15:34 AM »
Looks great, where is the smoker, propane?
What is on the menu?
Can't wait for PARTY pics.
Mark

Mark, The smoker is to the left of the oven, under the counter/cutting board area. I still have to make the door for it.  The smoker is propane fired. I have a low output burner that I use.  I put my wood chips/chunks in a institutional size(food grade) tin can with foil over the top, and lay it directly on top of the burner. It is a potluck party.  I made up 16 dough balls for people that want pizza, asked them to bring their choice of toppings. I have the Weber if people want burgers and dogs. My grandmother is making some homemade baked beans. Going to be a good time.

Offline benny8

• I Love Pizza!
Re: My oven and kitchen build:UPDATE
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2017, 04:51:01 AM »
Just wanted to post an update to anyone that might be hesitant to build their own cast oven from Homebrew refractory. My oven has been in operation for 4 years now. We have hosted multiple pizza parties and it has been used at least once a month, if not more for the last four years. The skeptics told me, I wouldn't get more than a few firings up to a year or so out of the homebrew. She is still rolling after 4 years and showing no signs of stopping. The cracks in the dome are hairline, and have been there since the first year. The $100 on materials for the dome have been the best money spent. We have had 2 pizza cookoffs and cooked 65 pizzas in 3 hours at the last event. I encourage anyone that is considering casting their own with homebrew to give it a try. I certainly haven't regretted it. Everyone who has had my pizza tells me I should open my own place because it beats the 5 places we have locally. Life is good!

Offline hodgey1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza 🍕
    • My WFO project
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2017, 07:27:06 AM »
Very cool, Nice build! That is the first time I've ever seen one built like that. Pizzas look great also

Offline benny8

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2017, 03:58:06 AM »
Thanks Hodgey. Hoping to build another cast dome and put it on a trailer to move around from backyard to backyard for Private Parties and such. This will be in the next couple years. This years project is to finish our Cabin property.

Offline hodgey1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza 🍕
    • My WFO project
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2017, 09:57:58 AM »
Wonder how the cast oven will hold up to the bouncing down the road? Or any brick or precast for that matter. Of course I live in a state where the roads are horrible.

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2017, 10:18:20 AM »
Just wanted to post an update to anyone that might be hesitant to build their own cast oven from Homebrew refractory. My oven has been in operation for 4 years now. We have hosted multiple pizza parties and it has been used at least once a month, if not more for the last four years. The skeptics told me, I wouldn't get more than a few firings up to a year or so out of the homebrew. She is still rolling after 4 years and showing no signs of stopping. The cracks in the dome are hairline, and have been there since the first year. The $100 on materials for the dome have been the best money spent. We have had 2 pizza cookoffs and cooked 65 pizzas in 3 hours at the last event. I encourage anyone that is considering casting their own with homebrew to give it a try. I certainly haven't regretted it. Everyone who has had my pizza tells me I should open my own place because it beats the 5 places we have locally. Life is good!

Did you add any fibers (poly or stainless) to the mix, or is it just straight 6:1:1:1 with no reinforcement?
In grams we trust.

Offline benny8

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2017, 06:06:04 AM »
Did you add any fibers (poly or stainless) to the mix, or is it just straight 6:1:1:1 with no reinforcement?
vtsteve-yes I did add poly fibers to the mix.