A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Explanation of Yeast Options/Approaches for Neapolitan Pizza  (Read 10925 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Explanation of Yeast Options/Approaches for Neapolitan Pizza
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 09:32:55 AM »
Interestingly I watched the video and then clicked on "how to make the perfect pizza" - guardian UK on the you tube tiles after and they show a really cool NP style pizza place in the UK. Check it out.

Also, what are everyone's thoughts on using Italian dry yeast - wouldn't you think it would be a different strain from what we have here?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FI9Q84/?tag=pmak-20

I believe that particular yeast is intended for use in sweet breads. I think it is supposed to impart a vanilla frgrance in the baked product which is not something I would want in my pizza. I don't know if they accomplish this through a strain of yeast or the addition of something to the yeast.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Teddy Ballgame

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 10:02:44 AM »
Thanks for the replies; I guess I used the wrong link as I actually meant to use their "master pizza" product. I was just wondering if it would be a different italian strain that would produce a more authentic NP dough. I have an Italian sourdough starter but sometimes need some IDY for extra lift.

Norma, how did you like the taste and did you see a noticeable difference versus what we can get domestically?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2013, 11:12:54 AM »

Norma, how did you like the taste and did you see a noticeable difference versus what we can get domestically?

Teddy,

No, I didn't notice any better taste when using that product, than when using the SAF IDY.  I had another package of that yeast and wanted to do some more experiments with a slower room temperature fermentation and less of that product, but never got around to those experiments.

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2013, 11:13:18 AM »
Thanks for the replies; I guess I used the wrong link as I actually meant to use their "master pizza" product. I was just wondering if it would be a different italian strain that would produce a more authentic NP dough. I have an Italian sourdough starter but sometimes need some IDY for extra lift.

What sort of oven are you using to bake your Neapolitan pizza?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

wordpress