A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: new york with power flour  (Read 351 times)

Offline patnx2

new york with power flour
« on: January 02, 2017, 05:05:03 PM »
I've been baking new york, once a  week, one 12 to 14 inch pizza with good results. I use power flour at 65%. For two to 3  day pizza I use 2%oil and sugar, .25% y . I've been baking at 550 in gas oven on a one inch stone on the bottom shelf.
So my questions are 1) how much difference would a slower bake at a lower temp make in crispness and ????.2) changing the hydration to lower 60's. I read a lot of posts and there two factors make me wonder if I could improve my outcome. I make only one pizza mostly and my wife and I  have been  happy with the outcomes.  Thanks in advance for any ideas or advice. Patrick from Modesto
Patrick

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
Re: new york with power flour
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 03:37:15 PM »
Patrick;
By reducing the baking temperature and baking for a longer time you can achieve a crispier crust however by reducing the water (dough absorption) you will not achieve a crispier crust unless you drop the absorption down below 50% and then you are not making a N.Y. style of pizza anymore.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline patnx2

Re: new york with power flour
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 03:36:50 AM »
Thanks Tom. Since I only bake one pie a week it's hard to experiment too much.My wife now tells me to go back to my other pie ie do'nt change. Thank you again. Have a great New Year Patrick from Modesto
Patrick