A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: idy vs ady vs fresh yeast dough flavor?  (Read 309 times)

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
idy vs ady vs fresh yeast dough flavor?
« on: January 19, 2017, 12:28:29 PM »
Hi,

last night's bedtime reading was Pythonic's (Nate) deep dish experimentation and discovery thread:
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30152.0

Over the last quarter of the thread, Nate and SDBob perform a set of experiments in an attempt to mimic the beer flavor found in Malanati's deep dish pizza crust. The variables they test are commercial yeast type (idy/ady/fresh), fermentation time and method. In the end, Nate declares a more pronounced beer flavor when using fresh yeast.

I do understand there's a quantity conversion that needs to be done between different yeast types but to-date. I've assumed commercial yeast type has no effect on flavor development. Is that correct?

tia,
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 12:31:39 PM by quietdesperation »

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
Re: idy vs ady vs fresh yeast dough flavor?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 02:37:47 PM »
You are indeed correct. There is a huge amount of competition between the yeast companies so they MUST have yeast that is indistinguishable from that of their competition if they are to ever compete in the bakers yeast market, this is why they are essentially the same when it comes to flavor of the finished product...there is no "good" or "bad" but different is 110% unacceptable. We have looked at this many years ago and found that many of the differences in flavor were the result of incorrect substitution levels, incorrect activation (ADY or IDY) and age of the compressed yeast (CY) also played into it. When it comes to finished product flavor in a yeast leavened product yeast level, dough temperature, and fermentation time/conditions are the main driving factors in flavors associated with yeast. Finished product flavor is VERY COMPLEX and is influenced by MANY different things, it is so complex that the flavor has never been able to be replicated or synthesized even in the best flavoring labs in the world. You can get a cracker like flavor but not a bread like flavor which is close to that of pizza (think French bread) which is made using essentially the same dough formula as pizza.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

wordpress