A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: GOT WAY TOO COCKY -- Help Wanted  (Read 1812 times)

Offline Pizzaposer

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: GOT WAY TOO COCKY -- Help Wanted
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2016, 12:31:20 PM »
One key difference between the Pizzeria and pasta flours is that the pasta flour is much weaker (low W). This would suggest a short fermentation might be better. You might try using more yeast and a more intensive mixing, and limit fermentation to ~8 hours.

The stock VPN formula may be a good place to start: http://www.pizzanapoletana.org/public/pdf/VPN%20disciplinare%20english.pdf

Craig,

I'm working from home tomorrow and might whip up a batch of dough per the VPN instructions you gave me.  Do you really think I need to mix the dough for 20 minutes as instructed?  That seems a bit much.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2016, 07:01:16 PM »
Craig,

I'm working from home tomorrow and might whip up a batch of dough per the VPN instructions you gave me.  Do you really think I need to mix the dough for 20 minutes as instructed?  That seems a bit much.

No probably not. Definitely more than needed for a 24 hour+ fermentation though.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Pizzaposer

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2016, 08:08:09 PM »
No probably not. Definitely more than needed for a 24 hour+ fermentation though.

Thanx Craig,

I think I am going to give it about half that time.

Offline Pizzaposer

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2016, 10:12:26 PM »
I've been working non-stop with a brief due on Tuesday (goodbye Memorial Day Weekend >:() so I haven't posted an update but I wanted to share this from last weekend.  If you are anywhere near MD you know that we have been looking around for Noah because we're thinking that we might have to buy options on that whole Arc thing.  In hope the weather would improve I started getting my starter together for last weekend.  I was going to try the VPN instructions that Craig and Mitch thought were a good starting point but I planned to cheat just a little and throw in some starter with the IDY because the last bake with starter tasted so good.  Well Friday and Saturday were a total drown-out and I promised the kids pizza, so I went to TJs.  Three bags of TJ's 1lb dough went into the Kitchenaid with some starter (two tablespoons?  I didn't weigh it) for less than two minutes and then sat on the counter (immediately balled into six balls ) for about four or five hours.  They were baked on steel at 550/convection.  I may be stupid, and my wife wasn't there to help me with the tasting, but I really thought the dough tasted much better.  I could be imagining the whole thing.  Anyway here are some pics:

(1) Simple kitchen setup
(2) Cherry tomato
(3) the gritty underbelly of the city
(4) egg
(5) pep
(6) pep and egg

So what do you think.  Would the starter make that much of a difference?  Am I imagining things?  I've got to tell ya, I don't think I am.  I'm sure someone had done this before.  Anyway I'm moving on back to the VPN attempts, hopefully next weekend. now that the weather has gone from torrential downpour to unbearable humid. ;D

Offline Pizzaposer

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2016, 10:17:10 PM »
Ugh.  That was a terribly blurry pic of the egg.  Here's another one: