A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza Tonda Romana  (Read 6229 times)

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Re: Pizza Tonda Romana
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2020, 02:42:51 PM »
I got the recipe from a thread at the confraternita della pizza forum: https://laconfraternitadellapizza.forumfree.it/?t=71679964

This is the recipe:

1l water
1.8kg flour
20g extra virgin olive oil
35g salt
2g dry yeast at 24 hours of which 20 are bulk in the fridge and 4 in balls at RT
4g dry yeast at 6 hours of which 3 are bulk and 3 in balls at RT

This translates to a baker's percentage of about:

55.6% hydration
1.94% salt
1.11% EVO
0.111% dry yeast for 24h CT/RT
0.222% dry yeast for 6h RT

180g dough balls.

Yes, La Gatta Mangiona normally serves a different pizza and from what I understand is one of the best pizzerias in Rome.  Still the owner Giancarlo Casa is a defender of Roman food and a fan of the tonda romana, he says that sometimes they make it for themselves.  The confraternita went there to film the process and to learn how to make the authentic tonda romana.

I guess someday I ought rewatch the videos to collect and translate the more important points made by Giancarlo Casa.

FWIW, I've also made this with 24 or 32 hours of RT maturation, and I think the pizza does get slightly tastier that way.

What flour do they use?  I’ve just used bread flour in the past because of the lower temperature bake
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2020, 03:15:47 PM »
They don't really say, but they talk about the strength.  They say medium strength W260-280 (like Polselli Classica) for the 6 hour dough and around W300 for the 24 hour version of the dough.  I assume that this means 00 flour.  They say that it needs a bit more gluten development than a more normal pizza al piatto or napoletana.

I really ought to watch the videos again and transcribe the high points.  What  Giancarlo says is quite interesting regarding the history of Italian pizza and how this kind of pizza was born after the second world war just as the pizza al taglio was.  There are probably a few nuggets to find regarding this style too as he does explain a few things that I haven't really put into words.
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline ARenko

« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2020, 04:07:40 PM »
I got the recipe from a thread at the confraternita della pizza forum: https://laconfraternitadellapizza.forumfree.it/?t=71679964

This is the recipe:

1l water
1.8kg flour
20g extra virgin olive oil
35g salt
2g dry yeast at 24 hours of which 20 are bulk in the fridge and 4 in balls at RT
4g dry yeast at 6 hours of which 3 are bulk and 3 in balls at RT

This translates to a baker's percentage of about:

55.6% hydration
1.94% salt
1.11% EVO
0.111% dry yeast for 24h CT/RT
0.222% dry yeast for 6h RT

180g dough balls.

Yes, La Gatta Mangiona normally serves a different pizza and from what I understand is one of the best pizzerias in Rome.  Still the owner Giancarlo Casa is a defender of Roman food and a fan of the tonda romana, he says that sometimes they make it for themselves.  The confraternita went there to film the process and to learn how to make the authentic tonda romana.

I guess someday I ought rewatch the videos to collect and translate the more important points made by Giancarlo Casa.

FWIW, I've also made this with 24 or 32 hours of RT maturation, and I think the pizza does get slightly tastier that way.
Thanks.  Now that you mention it, I think I've seen those videos (maybe posted by you).  My Italian is just not good enough to get enough out of them.  If you do rewatch the videos I'd appreciate the highlights.

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2020, 06:46:27 AM »
I made Tonda Romana again.  This time using the fridge, 20 hours bulk in the fridge, the dough was at 6.5C when I took it out.  An hour outside to warm up, and finally 3 hours in balls at around 24C.

503g Caputo saccorosso (100%)
282g water (56%)
10g salt (2% - 35 g/L)
6g strutto (1.2% - 20 g/L)
0.6g IDY (0.12%)

This time I extended the 180g balls with a rolling pin, as I read that this would make them crunchier.  Not sure if I noticed such an effect, but I do have to practice more with a rolling pin as they didn't turn out very round.    Also not a good idea trying to stretch them bigger on the peel as that seemed to make them even more square instead of round.  It seems like doing this only stretches close to where you pull and not over the entire pizza.

I'm also not sure that I noticed any better taste due to the 20 hours in the fridge.  The taste I remember from 32 hours RT maturation was the best so far.  I'll have to try a longer RT maturation again some day.

I also tried lowering the upper thermostat from 300C to 250C but that seemed to only make the upper side brown less.  I think the best results in my oven so far comes from using the biscotto, 450C underneath and 300C above, cooking time about 3.5 minutes.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 10:25:03 AM by amolapizza »
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2020, 08:57:45 AM »
Jack, where are the percents of your formula??  >:( *spank ass*

;D
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2020, 10:25:32 AM »
You're right, I fixed it! :D
Jack

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2020, 02:13:53 PM »
I made tonda romana again!

1 hour bulk and 10-11 hours apretto at 20-21C.

503g Caputo saccorosso
282g Water (56%)
10g salt (2.0% - 35g/L)
6g strutto (1.2% - 20g/L) (rendered pig fat)
0.3g IDY (0.06%)

Dough balls at 180g and hand stretched to about 28-29cm.

Baked for about 3 to 3.5 minutes at around 325C.

Were very tasty, nice and crispy!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 02:20:12 PM by amolapizza »
Jack

Offline DoouBall

« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2020, 10:38:36 PM »
Looks great Jack! Especially the salami pie.
Alex

Outdoor Oven: Blackstone. Indoor Oven: Gaggenau.

Offline Sandurz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #68 on: Today at 11:27:47 AM »
Amolapizza which one would you say is the best of your attempts at Tonda Romana?