A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update  (Read 1268242 times)

bobgraff and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Fodowsky

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Reply #6100 on: June 05, 2016, 01:49:10 PM »
That saucing method is very cool.  It looks like so little sauce, but it spreads out nicely.  I've done it both ways (bottom and ladled on top). Still not sure which way I prefer.  They are both good!

I too have messed with using less bench flour, but another thing that has helped me is to not be in a hurry after I stretch the skin.  Letting 30 secs  or so pass as I run the dough over my knuckles seems to dry it out a bit so it's less sticky on the peel.

Thanks for the support!!  That saucing method seems to be the best option for the consistency of the sauce I'm using and the style of pizza I like.  I'm used to thicker sauces with added puree but I really like the flavor of just draining the tomatoes, adding a few spices and nothing else.  If I put it all on the bottom, it doesn't flash off enough water and is runny.  Since I like a lot of toppings, putting this sauce over the bottom cheese seems to work best.  I need to keep playing with it.

Good advice on the avoiding "peel lock"!  Reesa suggested using rice flour and that has been great! I need just a little and it doesn't impact the flavor or texture of the dough like semolina and regular flour did.

Definitely a work in progress...
Jeff

Online jvp123

• Supporting Member
  • Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #6101 on: June 05, 2016, 02:14:07 PM »
Maybe i'll try rice flour .. I've been doing a blend of semolina and regular flour.
Jeff

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
« Reply #6102 on: June 05, 2016, 02:26:37 PM »
Yum!
Muenster is a personal favorite. It has great flavor and is the best melting cheese for quesadillas. It's a natural for pizza.

I tried Muenster but never like it much.
Pizza is about balance, nothing more nothing less

Offline texmex

« Reply #6103 on: June 05, 2016, 02:56:46 PM »
I tried Muenster but never like it much.

You probably forgot the big slabs of Hatch Chiles, or Jalapeños   :angel:
Reesa

Offline Fodowsky

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6104 on: June 05, 2016, 05:35:48 PM »
Hatch chilis make everything better...  :drool:
Jeff

Offline sodface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6105 on: June 05, 2016, 06:53:11 PM »
This was my second Spangler formula attempt.
Carl

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6106 on: June 05, 2016, 07:25:33 PM »
Nice pie!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline mitchjg

« Reply #6107 on: June 05, 2016, 07:27:21 PM »
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline sodface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6108 on: June 05, 2016, 07:37:30 PM »
Thanks mitchjg and Jackitup - the 1/8 pizza with jalapeño was courtesy of the one and only jalapeño produced by the plant in my aerogarden after 107 days  :-D
Carl

Offline sodface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6109 on: June 05, 2016, 07:42:30 PM »
And here's the inadvertent artsy fartsy shot of the same pie...
Carl

Offline nsxbill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6110 on: June 05, 2016, 09:11:37 PM »
First pizza... About seven minutes at 700 F.  I like to do pizza for lunch or late afternoon then use residual heat for bread or casseroles requiring long braise. 

Offline mitchjg

« Reply #6111 on: June 05, 2016, 09:53:24 PM »
nsxbill:

The pizzas look nice - good job.  You mention 7 minutes at 700 degrees.  How did you measure the 700?  The standard approach is to measure the floor temperature (the other measure being the dome which can be a couple of hundred degrees higher).  A 700 degree pie for 7 minutes would be pretty much burnt up.  It would usually take somewhere around 3 minutes.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 10:12:28 PM by mitchjg »
Mitch

Offline mitchjg

« Reply #6112 on: June 05, 2016, 10:11:29 PM »
A big change of pace for pizza tonight.   ;D

I took a shot at making a French  :-* version of a pizza called a "Tarte Flambée."   The key ingredients are creme fraiche or a combination of creme fraiche and fromage blanc (we did the combination), bacon and onion.  I did a typical variation with the addition of some emmental cheese.

The dough was 64% H2O + 5% olive oil - fermented for about 27 hours at 64 degrees with 0.05% IDY.

I rolled the dough out flat with a rolling pin and then docked it.  Baked it for about 3 minutes (I think the usual WFO bake is about 2 minutes for this style) at around 650 - 700 in the Pizza Party oven.   We cut it up bar style.

So good! - really fun to do something completely different than the usual pies.

The second pie was prepared the same way in terms of the dough.  We just made up the toppings (I doubt the Alsace Tarte police would approve) - linguisa sausage, yellow cherry tomatoes, onions and some red pepper flakes.   Mmm good.

We'll make this again for sure.  Really, really rich though.  We may cut back a bit on the creme fraiche or not eat all day ahead of time (hah- famous last words!).

« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 10:21:54 PM by mitchjg »
Mitch

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6113 on: June 05, 2016, 10:35:56 PM »

I took a shot at making a French  :-* version of a pizza called a "Tarte Flambée."   The key ingredients are creme fraiche or a combination of creme fraiche and fromage blanc (we did the combination), bacon and onion.  I did a typical variation with the addition of some emmental cheese.

The dough was 64% H2O + 5% olive oil - fermented for about 27 hours at 64 degrees with 0.05% IDY.

I rolled the dough out flat with a rolling pin and then docked it.  Baked it for about 3 minutes (I think the usual WFO bake is about 2 minutes for this style) at around 650 - 700 in the Pizza Party oven.   We cut it up bar style.

So good! - really fun to do something completely different than the usual pies.

The second pie was prepared the same way in terms of the dough.  We just made up the toppings (I doubt the Alsace Tarte police would approve) - linguisa sausage, yellow cherry tomatoes, onions and some red pepper flakes.   Mmm good.

We'll make this again for sure.  Really, really rich though.  We may cut back a bit on the creme fraiche or not eat all day ahead of time (hah- famous last words!).

Geeeeeez, I can't say how much you and this site suck right now........orrrrrrr is it me being some kind of food masochist  torturing myself looking at awesome food pics, watching Bourdain eating his way thru Cologne Germany while I'm prepping pork belly for tomorrow AND CAN'T EAT A FREAKING THING TIL TOMORROW >:( Well I am an odd cat I guess :-D Those pies look and sound awesome :drool: Love the sound of the creme fraiche and fromage blanc! Well, back to drooling and craving :-D
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline mitchjg

« Reply #6114 on: June 05, 2016, 10:42:19 PM »
Geeeeeez, I can't say how much you and this site suck right now........orrrrrrr is it me being some kind of food masochist  torturing myself looking at awesome food pics, watching Bourdain eating his way thru Cologne Germany while I'm prepping pork belly for tomorrow AND CAN'T EAT A FREAKING THING TIL TOMORROW >:( Well I am an odd cat I guess :-D Those pies look and sound awesome :drool: Love the sound of the creme fraiche and fromage blanc! Well, back to drooling and craving :-D

Ok, so sorry (really), but we don't have to suffer together, do we?   :'(

I am sure the pork belly will be awesome and you will get and deserve first and second dibs!  At least Bourdain is in a country where he won't show you the bugs he is eating.
Mitch

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6115 on: June 05, 2016, 10:53:59 PM »
 :-D Misery loves company! And right now, the bugs would be fine too :P
Jon

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6116 on: June 06, 2016, 07:11:43 AM »
nice Mitch!

Jon - hang in there, I'm ignoring dr's suggestion at the moment but know I really need to buck it up and just get it over with. 
Deb

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6117 on: June 06, 2016, 09:55:51 AM »
Mitch,

When a post gets nine Likes, you know you've got something outstanding. Great job.

Peter

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6118 on: June 06, 2016, 10:22:35 AM »
Mitch,

When a post gets nine Likes, you know you've got something outstanding. Great job.

Peter

What Peter said.

Online jvp123

• Supporting Member
  • Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #6119 on: June 06, 2016, 10:54:16 AM »

WOWZA!!!  :chef:
Jeff

wordpress