A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update  (Read 1573139 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Reply #6480 on: July 14, 2016, 09:51:26 AM »
This was a Margherita I made a little while ago.  Mozzarella was Galbani, tomatoes were Alta Cucina.  I'm still having trouble getting the crust strong enough to support the weight of toppings.  Not sure if it's a problem with my dough, stretching, bake, or a combination of factors.  The hydration was 66%, the flour was KABF, and I used a three-day cold rise.  I use about 275 grams of dough for a 12" pizza.  To stretch, I start by pressing the dough into a disc, leaving a rim on the outer edge.  Once it's sufficiently large, I'll stretch it over my knuckles to the desired size.  I try to stay away from the middle, but at this stage it's possible the skin is stretching too thin in the center as a result of gravity.  The pizza baked with a floor temp of 700 degrees Fahrenheit for about 2:10 in a Blackstone.  The taste is great, but I'd end up wearing this pie as a shirt if I tried to eat it with my hands. ;D Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Jake,

It might also be that your hydration value is too high for the KABF. That flour has a rated absorption value of about 62%. At 66% hydration, the dough will ferment faster than at 62%, So, you might try reducing the formula hydration in 2% steps to see if that helps. You can also leave the hydration value where it is but shorten the fermentation window.

Your thickness factor is about 0.085. That is standard for a NY style pizza and, in itself, should not be a cause of the problems you have been experiencing since it is independent of dough extensibility. However, if you load the skin with too much on anything (such as cheese, sauce or toppings), you might experience problems during baking. In that vein, a drier dough might allow for greater support of what you put on the pizza.

Peter

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #6481 on: July 14, 2016, 11:43:13 AM »
I've used KABF at 85%+ hydration, but a dough with thin spots and a heavy sauce can get a gum line fast, especially if its sits around a bit before launching. Could maybe be part of the issue; I used to have that problem a bit. Some people brush a little olive oil over the stretched dough before saucing. I've done that in the past, not into it anymore. I think it is a challenge to get the perfect sauce consistency. I'm still trying to figure it out.
the proof is in the pizza

Offline PizzaioloCow

« Reply #6482 on: July 14, 2016, 08:54:24 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the comments and help.  I will certainly use the advice next time I make pizza.  Prior to today I wasn't aware of hydration's impact on fermentation.  The heavy sauce was intentional.  Awhile ago I was having issues with enormous bubbles forming in the center of the skin; essentially, the entire pizza was rising as one would typically expect only of the crust.  Another user here was having the same issue (though I cannot find the thread now), and the advice given was to top the pizza more heavily.  It did work in my case, but I guess I have to find a better balance.  Currently, I try to use very little of the liquid in the can when I prepare tomatoes.  In addition, I use the stick blender conservatively, resulting in a chunky sauce.  A true Neapolitan pizza isn't really my goal, but it is similar to what I want to make.  Tony Gemignani, in the below video, uses a sauce that is very wet -- not similar in consistency to mine.  I don't know if that's standard for Neapolitan-style or not.  I'll also lower the hydration to 64% for the next batch.  I appreciate all the helpful suggestions.

Offline Dwain

• Bon Appétit!
« Reply #6483 on: July 15, 2016, 07:17:19 PM »
Another Forkish and a Breadtopia skin. Dressed with Bacon and Pepperoni on both but the Forkish had sauce while the Breadtopia had San Marzanos

~ May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead. ~  Big Deck BBQ and Brew

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6484 on: July 15, 2016, 08:03:01 PM »
Tutti Americani.  70% HR, 14% Starter, 100% Bay State Contadino 00, 2.7% Salt, locally made sausage, 6-1's hit with the immersion blender, fresh mozz from Whole Foods. Tartine method.  See the Tread of Shame for the other pizza.

Offline timgiuffi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6485 on: July 15, 2016, 09:40:17 PM »
Hot Italian sausage with some onions sauteed in bacon fat.
Quote from: HansB on Yesterday at 07:19:39 AM
“You only need to rotate it if it needs to be rotated.“

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #6486 on: July 15, 2016, 09:46:04 PM »
Wow! 3 in row!! They look great  :chef:
Matt

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #6487 on: July 15, 2016, 10:54:20 PM »
 :pizza:

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6488 on: July 15, 2016, 11:03:23 PM »
"Nuevo-politan" pizza.  Glutenboy II dough formulation (61% water, 2.5% salt, 0.25% ADY with 0.25% added LDM).  1.5 hours in bulk, 18 hours cold fermentation, 1.5 hours at RT before stretching. 

I made a new variation of pizza sauce:I microwaved 1/8 tsp chili flakes in a small ramekin with garlic oil for 1 minute at 30% power.  That was added to a 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes along with  0.5 tsp salt, 0.5tsp sugar.  I'll call it my quick arabiatta sauce.

Trader Joe's pre-sliced mozzarella cheese log, Vermont cold smoked pepperoni, Mike's Hot Honey enhanced fresh Italian sausage, kalamata olives and a splash of EVOO before the bake.  Fresh cilantro added post-bake.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6489 on: July 15, 2016, 11:15:27 PM »
Good to see everyone making pizza on a Friday evening. Nice pies!

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #6490 on: July 15, 2016, 11:24:58 PM »

^^^ THE PIES ARE FLYIN' TONIGHT FOLKS!  ;D

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #6491 on: July 15, 2016, 11:25:18 PM »

^^^

SO many good pies everyone!!
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #6492 on: July 16, 2016, 07:27:31 AM »
^^^

SO many good pies everyone!!

^^^ ^^^

Norma

Offline jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #6493 on: July 16, 2016, 07:14:37 PM »
Jeff

Offline Mitabud

« Reply #6494 on: July 16, 2016, 11:12:01 PM »
Does Flatbread count?
Made my first 'emergency' dough today with 90% Italian Farro flour and 10% KA bread flour.   10 hours room temp fermentation with my usual SD starter and a bit of ADY.    It rose nicely but had no gluten development.   Pushed (not stretched) onto an oiled rimmed pan, added a thin base of artichoke paste, then sauteed mixed mushrooms, sweet onion, turkey sausage, taleggio, truffle cheese and parm.  Clipped basil added 5 min before done.  20 min at 450F.    Tasted great.     I call it Cheat-za......no 4 hour WFO prep involved.

Offline the1mu

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6495 on: July 17, 2016, 08:39:23 AM »
The real highlight was letting my 4 year old try and open her own pizza skin then dress it herself.

And the last picture was one a friend sent me, saying they were having "pizza" for dinner.....
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 08:43:39 AM by the1mu »

Offline Fodowsky

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6496 on: July 17, 2016, 10:15:32 AM »
Awesome pizzas!  (AND Flatbread  ;))   :drool:
Jeff

Offline Gianni5

« Reply #6497 on: July 17, 2016, 03:46:48 PM »
Great looking pizzas everyone. Here's one I did with nduya yesterday

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #6498 on: July 17, 2016, 03:58:05 PM »
Nice slice. I enjoy eating nduja. What was your formula?
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline Gianni5

« Reply #6499 on: July 17, 2016, 04:06:44 PM »
Thanks
100% gm superlative flour
57% water
2% oil
3% salt
.4% cake yeast
24 hours bulk ferment
12 hours balled