A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update  (Read 1190023 times)

Offline sodface

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Reply #6980 on: September 07, 2016, 07:54:04 PM »
I picked up some Lindley Mills North Carolina 100% Organic Bread Flour this weekend out of the bulk bin at Earth Fare.  I got a wild hair last night about 1030 and mixed up a dough with it for tonight.  I used the yeast chart like I have been but this dough really grew, not sure if I mis-measured or just picked the wrong temp/time in the chart.  I had nothing in the way of toppings to use so it ended up being black olive and half jalapeno.

The dough was very easy to open, so easy it almost got away from me and ended up bigger than the peel.  When I launched, the back right corner drooped over the edge of the stone as you can see in the pic, I didn't try to pull it back on until about 5 mins into the bake.  Total bake time was 8 minutes.

I liked the crust but I'm not sure it was much different than KABF, it was a little more tender maybe.
Carl

Offline jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #6981 on: September 07, 2016, 08:01:25 PM »
Looks great Sod!  What was the hydration?
Jeff

Offline sodface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6982 on: September 07, 2016, 08:05:57 PM »
Looks great Sod!  What was the hydration?

Thanks!  61% + 3.5% EVOO.
Carl

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #6983 on: September 07, 2016, 09:05:26 PM »
Nice Sod! Serious slice factor with them 18 inch wheels.
the proof is in the pizza

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6984 on: September 07, 2016, 10:44:20 PM »
Nice Sod! Serious slice factor with them 18 inch wheels.

Really nice Sod!
Bob

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6985 on: September 08, 2016, 02:24:34 PM »
Been wanting to try freezing some dough, and after a few fails, realized I just wasn't using enough IDY. So...., I used more :)  From the two-ball batch I made one last week and it was pretty good. Another today, still liked it a lot. Two days past a month in freezer. Hand-mixed All Trumps at 70%, no poolish, direct to CF for three days, then to freezer. .45% IDY, .45% LDM, 2% salt, 2% sugar. Canola oil on rim. Sliced WMM, a little sliced swiss cheese (because it was there) Sclafani crushed , and sliced deli meatball.

Baked in home oven on 1/4 steel, just under 8 minutes, broiler only used for preheat. Launch at 640, broiler turned off just before launch, oven at 550.

Okay, this is blasphemy: To me, this kind of bake, at this temperature and HR, works out a lot better in home oven than in Blackstone. I love my BS, but I think it shines in the 700 and up zone, and the home oven is better for these pies..maybe not by a ton, but it's a clear margin. To me.  :)

Offline jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #6986 on: September 08, 2016, 02:42:52 PM »
Been wanting to try freezing some dough, and after a few fails, realized I just wasn't using enough IDY. So...., I used more :)  From the two-ball batch I made one last week and it was pretty good. Another today, still liked it a lot. Two days past a month in freezer. Hand-mixed All Trumps at 70%, no poolish, direct to CF for three days, then to freezer. .45% IDY, .45% LDM, 2% salt, 2% sugar. Canola oil on rim. Sliced WMM, a little sliced swiss cheese (because it was there) Sclafani crushed , and sliced deli meatball.

Baked in home oven on 1/4 steel, just under 8 minutes, broiler only used for preheat. Launch at 640, broiler turned off just before launch, oven at 550.

Okay, this is blasphemy: To me, this kind of bake, at this temperature and HR, works out a lot better in home oven than in Blackstone. I love my BS, but I think it shines in the 700 and up zone, and the home oven is better for these pies..maybe not by a ton, but it's a clear margin. To me.  :)

Very nice Bill!
Jeff

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6987 on: September 08, 2016, 04:23:48 PM »
Thanks Jeff!

Offline IIFYMpizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6988 on: September 08, 2016, 05:23:38 PM »
I posted this in my thread but... here it is once again

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #6989 on: September 08, 2016, 05:28:11 PM »
Righteous color on that pie Bill! Do you usually sauce over cheese?
the proof is in the pizza

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6990 on: September 08, 2016, 06:21:16 PM »
Thanks Jeff..Thanks Ryan...I've been doing cheese first more often than not unless I'm using fresh mozz as my main cheese. ..I like the way it affects the melt..The cheese on this was sliced thicker than usual (different  deli person  :) . I do like a little oil on the rims sometimes, and this one of those times. Just a tiny bit of canola oil brushed on before i put the pie on the peel to finish dressing...before I'd oiled when the dough is on the peel..kind of messy and potentially launch-wrecking. I'd tried olive oil but the taste was too present..I just want a little color and crispness...there are plenty of other flavors around, didn't need oil in the mix.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 06:24:48 PM by Jersey Pie Boy »

Offline NYYC

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6991 on: September 08, 2016, 06:28:00 PM »
I've never bought pre-cooked lobster at the grocery store but they had the little ocean bugs for $5 for a small one which looked like just enough meat for a pie.

Four cheese, lobster, rose sauce, fresh basil. A little too rich for me but it reminded my wife why she hasn't left me yet.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6992 on: September 08, 2016, 06:40:28 PM »
Damn. Those sure look great!
-Tony
Enjoy every sandwich. - Warren Zevon

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6993 on: September 08, 2016, 06:45:21 PM »
Pizza looks fantastic, Bill. I love using the last meatball or two on pizza. I'm interested in what your goal is with freezing or just to see how it works. I've found it works fine but doesn't save me much time - that I have to plan far ahead, but it saves cleanup time. I like olive oil on the edge post bake from time to time.
-Tony

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6994 on: September 08, 2016, 06:55:29 PM »
Thanks Tony...It was just to see  how it turned out in case i need to do it..it was a nice surprise.   We had a good meatball pie at Zuppardi's in New Haven a few weeks back so ithought I'd ghive it a try..but i  have not yet mastered good meatballs...Chau gave me a great recipe, but I flubbed it and added so much bread, they were like meat-flavored bread -balls...yum, not.  So  just grabbed this solo meatball at the deli counter where i got my mozzarella so I could make this test pie. What's funny of course is that it turned out really tasty

Also funny is now that I know I can use this amount of IDY and freeze dough if i want to, I now have some dough with less than half this IDY, that I actually can't use for a while and want to freeze. Is it enough IDY? I dunno..but i posted the question over in Dough Doctor thread.

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6995 on: September 08, 2016, 07:02:47 PM »
Very nice Bill!

That is a great looking pie Bill! Very "Mozza" like........
Bob

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6996 on: September 08, 2016, 07:03:25 PM »

Beautiful!!
Bob

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6997 on: September 08, 2016, 09:11:08 PM »
We had a good meatball pie at Zuppardi's in New Haven a few weeks back so ithought I'd ghive it a try..but i  have not yet mastered good meatballs...Chau gave me a great recipe, but I flubbed it and added so much bread, they were like meat-flavored bread -balls...yum, not.

Sometime before Christmas I am going to start a thread about our meatball tradition and process. We make hundreds (600-700) of them just before Christmas and pass them out to our friends - instead of cookies. I have lots of pictures and notes. Last year's batch started with 54# of meat (they are 71% meat by weight) and approximately 150# of sauce. Even so, it often feels like we would have liked to have had a few more packages to hand out.
-Tony

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6998 on: September 08, 2016, 09:55:55 PM »
Thanks Bob!   Tony, I'll be in line for some meatballs :)

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #6999 on: September 09, 2016, 06:54:07 AM »
Two from last night - veggie w/ vegan cheese for my wife and pepperoni with 50/50 PSLM and WMM for me - still using the old dough / carryover sponge method (~ 10 days old) @ about 25% for each dough by weight. Tasted and handled pretty good..... thanks for looking.
Norm
Baker's Pride GP-61 NG, Baker's Pride M02T 220V, PizzaParty Ardore (with saputo tiles) LP
Focus is NY style but do others too
Preferred Flour (for NY pies) is All Trumps BB
Preferred temperature for NY is 550F, for NP 900+F
Preferred type of yeast IDY