A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update  (Read 1423152 times)

Offline CaptBob

Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Reply #9000 on: April 14, 2017, 09:32:27 AM »
Decided late that I wanted pizza. Four hour 1% IDY dough. Hit the spot.

Nicely done Hans!
Bob

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #9001 on: April 14, 2017, 11:02:45 AM »
Decided late that I wanted pizza. Four hour 1% IDY dough. Hit the spot.

Is there honey or malt in there?
Looks proper! I've had a few of these late craving pies lately myself  :D
the proof is in the pizza

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #9002 on: April 14, 2017, 11:44:12 AM »
Nicely done Hans!

Thanks Bob!

Is there honey or malt in there?
Looks proper! I've had a few of these late craving pies lately myself  :D

Thanks. No malt or honey, this was 65% H, 2.6% Salt, 1% oil, 1% IDY. Four hours @75F.  Baked at ~700F
Hans

Offline timgiuffi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9003 on: April 14, 2017, 08:19:54 PM »
White pie with cream, Brussels sprouts and pork belly.
Quote from: HansB on Yesterday at 07:19:39 AM
“You only need to rotate it if it needs to be rotated.“

Offline Hermit

• I make do with what I have
« Reply #9004 on: April 14, 2017, 10:13:42 PM »
 :drool: Damn fine looking pie there Tim!

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
« Reply #9005 on: April 14, 2017, 11:01:11 PM »
After months of nothingness and weeks of disappointment. I finally struck it gold again.
I thought for a while all the great work i'd done was a fluke, thankfully it wasn't.

Pepperoni and cheese

100% flour
64%water
2%Butter
2%Honey
2%Malt powder
2%Salt
.04%IDY

The pepperoni was proofed in the winer cooler at 65*F for 22 hours. Then it came out for two hours to warm up and rise a little,
The cheese dough at out overnight, until around 5:45 AM when I put it back it to bake it at 8:00AM , so 14 hours cooler, 10 hours room temp.

Both where reballed 12 hours prior to break time.
7 min 30 sec bake on stone, steam vent capped off with 500g weight.

Need to try more exciting topping combos soon

Pizza is about balance, nothing more nothing less

Offline waynesize

« Reply #9006 on: April 14, 2017, 11:29:39 PM »
Nice looking pies MR.  You've still got it!  The melt on the cheese pie looks darn good to me. And, I'm a sucker for a good Pepperoni pizza.   :drool:

Wayne

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9007 on: April 14, 2017, 11:59:06 PM »
I have changed from cooking at 550 to 500 and found it cooks better at 500. The bottom does not cook to much and I still get the desired results. The only downside is I can't stop eating it LOL. I didn't have any hot peppers sadly so it was just mushroom and onions on the one.

Offline kuhne

« Reply #9008 on: April 15, 2017, 02:26:30 AM »
After months of nothingness and weeks of disappointment. I finally struck it gold again.
I thought for a while all the great work i'd done was a fluke, thankfully it wasn't.

Pepperoni and cheese

100% flour
64%water
2%Butter
2%Honey
2%Malt powder
2%Salt
.04%IDY

The pepperoni was proofed in the winer cooler at 65*F for 22 hours. Then it came out for two hours to warm up and rise a little,
The cheese dough at out overnight, until around 5:45 AM when I put it back it to bake it at 8:00AM , so 14 hours cooler, 10 hours room temp.

Damn... that pepperoni looks.... I need to copy your recipe, pepperoni, mushrooms, bacon and sometimes ham is one of my all time favorites. I'd love to make that pizza with your dough recipe. Your whole process is a bit too complex for me! Do you think your recipe would work with a regular caputo Neapolitan recipe? I normally do caputo, 65% hydration, salt and yeast. That's it. Would adding honey and the other ingredients you use work? Your cheese looks incredible, what did you use? Did you use a home oven or do you use wood fired?

Sorry for so many questions but I'd love to try to emulate that pepperoni pizza

Online hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #9009 on: April 15, 2017, 06:08:42 AM »
Nice looking pies MR.  You've still got it!  ...

^^^  I'll add one more question for you: How would you describe the differences (taste, texture, other) in using butter vs oil?
Matt

Offline Minolta Rokkor

« Reply #9010 on: April 15, 2017, 07:25:53 AM »
Damn... that pepperoni looks.... I need to copy your recipe, pepperoni, mushrooms, bacon and sometimes ham is one of my all time favorites. I'd love to make that pizza with your dough recipe. Your whole process is a bit too complex for me! Do you think your recipe would work with a regular caputo Neapolitan recipe? I normally do caputo, 65% hydration, salt and yeast. That's it. Would adding honey and the other ingredients you use work? Your cheese looks incredible, what did you use? Did you use a home oven or do you use wood fired?

Sorry for so many questions but I'd love to try to emulate that pepperoni pizza

About the pepperoni. It is Delallo and sliced on a Hobart 410.
I don't know the exact measurements, but the slicer is on it's thinnest setting possible, otherwise the pepperoni will not cup/fold.

Delallo pepperoni is very lean, meaty, CRISPY, and flavorful. It's also cheap.

The original creator of the Honey/Butter/Malt powder formula was Fodowsky, so I modified it a little.
As for trying the formula with 00 flour. If you cook at true Neapolitan temps, your pizza will burn. The Malt and honey will increase browning.

The cheese is nothing crazy, Galabani whole milk mozzarella and Stella 2 month old Asiago. 16oz of mozzarella mixed with 8oz of Asiago.
I shredded the cheese with coarse potato grater, it seems to give an interesting melt.

Norma told me about when I tried making NJ style, however it performs well for everything so I never used anything else to shred cheese.

Norpro 355
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000VLV6Q/?tag=pmak-20

It's a home oven, California pizza stone 16"x16"x1", baked on 2nd lowest rack.

^^^  I'll add one more question for you: How would you describe the differences (taste, texture, other) in using butter vs oil?
Oil is definitely gives a more crispy and crunchy texture, especially shortening
Butter gives a richer taste and softer texture.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9011 on: April 15, 2017, 08:39:49 AM »
MR,

You did a great job, and the Likes show that. We all go through rough patches, so just keep plugging away and things will turn out fine.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #9012 on: April 15, 2017, 09:24:05 AM »

Pepperoni and cheese

100% flour
64%water
2%Butter
2%Honey
2%Malt powder
2%Salt
.04%IDY

Minolta Rokkor,

Very nice!   :drool: :pizza: :pizza:

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9013 on: April 15, 2017, 09:29:12 AM »
I have changed from cooking at 550 to 500 and found it cooks better at 500. The bottom does not cook to much and I still get the desired results. The only downside is I can't stop eating it LOL. I didn't have any hot peppers sadly so it was just mushroom and onions on the one.
Greg,

Can you tell us what recipe you used to make the pizza in your photos? The pizza look so professional.

Peter

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9014 on: April 15, 2017, 11:09:53 AM »
Greg,

Can you tell us what recipe you used to make the pizza in your photos? The pizza look so professional.

Peter

Yes I still use my modified Papa Johns Clone.

I use KASL Flour, fine sea salt, and tap water.

Flour   100% 914g
Water 56.5% 516g
ADY     .28%  1.5g
Salt    1.75%  16g
Veg. Oil 6.7% 61g (this I allow play between 60-62 g yields identical results. Once I go over 62 I can really start to taste the oil in the pizza and I don't like that so I generally stay around 60-61g
Sugar    4.2% 38g

I generally get about 2 770g dough balls that I stretch 16" out of each.

I proof my yeast (hot water) and add a bit of sugar (I do not figure this extra 1/2g of sugar in my above sugar needed)while proofing. I then put the remaining water (cold) in my mixing bowl. I simply take 516- whatever I used for the proofing. I dump the salt and sugar in cold water, then dump in flour. By this time yeast has proofed almost 10 minutes.

I then mix water/flour/salt/sugar for a minute and then add in proofed yeast and oil and then mix another good 5 minutes. I ball and placed in very thinly oiled tubs and refrigerate uncovered 30-60 minutes then cover and CF for about 24 hrs give or take. I generally take out and let sit at room temp 2 1/2 before they will be in the oven. Which generally means I take them out at 2 pm and by 4:30pm the first pie has been assembled and is in the oven at that time.

I cook on 1/4" steel just below center of oven at 500 for about 6 minutes.

I have found that when you spread the sauce that if you go all the way to the crust edge that the crust browns better and looks nicer, if not you end up w/white crust. You can see on certain areas I have white showing that was because I did not get the entire crust w/sauce. I generally don't go for 100% coverage just real close.

I don't even bother forming a crust anymore, I have found that when I use my knuckles to allow the dough to stretch that forms the same crust anyhow. I then toss in the oven using my homemade super peel and take out using a metal peel I got for xmas which let me tell you was worth every penny!

Everyone including myself is very happy w/this current recipe and procedure. I tell you a few years ago I made some pizza that was plain inedible lol.

I should mention I bake the mushrooms the entire time the oven is pre-heating and pull out right before I add them. This eliminates a lot of water. Very important for home cooking to minimize as much water as you can.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 11:52:59 AM by icemanxp300 »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9015 on: April 15, 2017, 11:21:27 AM »
Greg,

Thank you for the details. I suspected that your pizza was a PJ clone. It looks like you have mastered the style, and I am sure that your pizza was better than the real thing.

Peter

Online hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #9016 on: April 15, 2017, 03:31:46 PM »

Oil is definitely gives a more crispy and crunchy texture, especially shortening
Butter gives a richer taste and softer texture.

Thanks. I may give butter a shot.
Matt

Offline Minolta Rokkor

« Reply #9017 on: April 15, 2017, 06:44:33 PM »
Thanks a lot everyone, there's no way I could have done this without you guys.

Khune, I'll make a video detailing every step of the process from beginning to end.
Nothing will be left out, I'll commentate on camera, and add notes if needed.

After that you should get pretty close if not identical.

All of this will be posted in my thread of course.
I hope you'll tune in Khune.

Offline jeff v

• Supporting Member
  • I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
« Reply #9018 on: April 15, 2017, 07:09:42 PM »
Even after about 10 uses my pizza stone was still stinking up the house. I threw it away and got a heavy non stick cookie sheet. Dough was a bit thick but pretty happy w this first bake. 18hr no knead dough.i planned to put very thin green onions on post bake but forgot.  :-\

Online StateofMind

« Reply #9019 on: April 15, 2017, 07:53:34 PM »
A couple pictures from today. I cooked 15 pies on the Blackstone today for my sons birthday party.