A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update  (Read 1256853 times)

dmckean44, 9slicePie and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Reply #15220 on: August 10, 2019, 08:18:40 PM »

After being gobsmacked earlier in the week by a new NY style slice joint, I went back to the drawing board and came up with a new formula. My last few NY pies have not included oil and substituted DMP for sugar. Their crumb was chewy and a little tough.  This new recipe I used oil and sugar in the recipe and l lowered the hydration. I did not use a poolish either. Kinda back to the basics

The next day after making the dough I began to wonder if my recipe was anywhere close to what others have designed. I checked out the non-Lehmann NY style thread to see what others were making. After reading a few I came upon John Fazzari's Modified Reinhart NY Style. I about fell off the stool. My new recipe was just like his except he uses honey and mine called for sugar. My dough making procedure was very close and I did reball the dough the night before the bake. Later in his post he discussed using a poolish. My next attempt I will follow his instructions to the letter and go out to a 3 day CF. I will use a poolish like he did.

The verdict...The pizza was wonderful. The bottom was really crisp and the crumb had a very tender chew...just what I was looking for. While not as great as the slice I got a Bobbie O's earlier in the week, it was one of the best crusts I have made not including my cracker crust.  I spent a lot of time trying to come up with my version of a NY style, and all that time there was a great one out there just under my nose. I learned a lot in the process so it was not a waste of time.  Thanks to Fazzari for sharing his recipe. It's a keeper!! :drool:

Nice!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 08:20:18 PM by jkb »
John

Offline nickyr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15221 on: August 10, 2019, 08:38:15 PM »
Two pizzas with 60% hydration and 10% rye crust. Both have Beddia’s spring cream sauce with 3X garlic. Top one has fresh mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, corn, homemade ricotta, and olive oil. Delicious, although my topping volume was a bit high. Thank you to someone here for suggesting corn and cherry tomatoes as a combo! Second one is Beddia’s dinosaur kale and pickled red onion recipe from his cookbook. Not as well-balanced flavor-wise as the top one, but the pickled onions are amazing. And the chives and parmesan added at the end was killer.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15222 on: August 10, 2019, 09:15:35 PM »
Awesome work/detecting there Nick... Beautiful pizza!!   :drool:

Did you do any stretch and folds?

Bob,

Thanks! I was taken aback when I saw my formula was almost the same as Fazzari's. I find it interesting how minute changes can have huge impacts on the end product. I am going to check out Reinhart's procedure. Curious to see how it differs from Fazzari's.  Did not do any stretches. I did a short autolyse and I under mixed the dough. The final ball temp was 76 degrees. Fazzari noted the the addition of the poolish enhanced the texture and flavor of the crust. I agree, I notice a difference when using a poolish in my other recipes. I will use a poolish next time.

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15223 on: August 10, 2019, 10:14:39 PM »
First pizza using Red Star Instant sourdough/yeast. Nice subtle sourdough flavor but this only had two days in the fridge. Next time another day or two and I’ll increase the percentage of this stuff a bit. Chorizo and shrimp...Good spring and crumb.
Bob

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #15224 on: August 10, 2019, 10:19:57 PM »
Bob,

Thanks! I was taken aback when I saw my formula was almost the same as Fazzari's. I find it interesting how minute changes can have huge impacts on the end product. I am going to check out Reinhart's procedure. Curious to see how it differs from Fazzari's.  Did not do any stretches. I did a short autolyse and I under mixed the dough. The final ball temp was 76 degrees. Fazzari noted the the addition of the poolish enhanced the texture and flavor of the crust. I agree, I notice a difference when using a poolish in my other recipes. I will use a poolish next time.

Good post....I too have been experimenting with polish for awhile now.... Last few doughs I've also been dabeling with addition of L-DMP   it's working good and I'm going to now try lowering my idy and do extended fermentation.
I like fazzaris technique of keeping a bulk CF batch going and only cut off an amount to use next day... First ball is that chit from bulk the night before....
Thanks for your help....,🤗
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline nickyr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15225 on: August 10, 2019, 10:30:35 PM »
First pizza using Red Star Instant sourdough/yeast. Nice subtle sourdough flavor but this only had two days in the fridge. Next time another day or two and I’ll increase the percentage of this stuff a bit. Chorizo and shrimp...Good spring and crumb.

Pretty crust! Although you seem to have cut off most of the pizza...

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15226 on: August 10, 2019, 11:00:55 PM »
Looks good, Captain. Did you use beer with the instant sourdough/yeast?
-Tony
“Pizza is bread, after all.” - Brian Spangler

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15227 on: August 10, 2019, 11:44:08 PM »
Tony....yep....in the poolish.....
Bob

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15228 on: August 11, 2019, 02:47:12 PM »
A lunch pizza in the Ardore. Same dough batch as a couple nights ago. As you can see by the shape, there were peel sticking issues. Nearly lost it trying to get it onto the oven floor. That aside, it tasted good.

-Tony

Offline Irishboy

• Always do it with passion
« Reply #15229 on: August 11, 2019, 09:59:20 PM »
48 hour dough at 55 degrees Fahrenheit

50% Caputo 50% high gluten

Cooked in 90sec on the ardore

Topped with age hard cheese
Josh

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #15230 on: August 11, 2019, 10:06:00 PM »

excellent pizza.. I've been following your dough making.

You need some better pepperoni...,🤗

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #15231 on: August 11, 2019, 10:17:59 PM »

Nice one!

Do you notice much of a difference with the flour blend over straight bread flour?
the proof is in the pizza

Offline Irishboy

« Reply #15232 on: August 11, 2019, 10:32:39 PM »
excellent pizza.. I've been following your dough making.

You need some better pepperoni...,🤗
I really do I need to go on the lookout local it's pretty slim pickings

Nice one!

Do you notice much of a difference with the flour blend over straight bread flour?
I noticed that it traps more CO2 so I get a more aerated pie from center to edge. I basically just mix only until it forms a ball maybe less than 2 minutes and just let time form the gluten it is very tender to the tooth. It's been a while since I've use bread flour but that's the difference I've noticed lately I've been using Caputo pizzeria I had a 25 lb bag
Josh

Offline jsaras

« Reply #15233 on: August 11, 2019, 11:04:31 PM »

That’s just lovely!
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15234 on: August 12, 2019, 12:10:35 AM »

Another great looking pizza, Irish. I have not noticed you using a screen in your Ardore bakes before. What can you tell me about that? Usually I struggle to get the bottom as well baked as I would like without burning the top. It seems as if, for me, using a screen would make things more difficult. Still, yours looks great.

-Tony

Offline Irishboy

« Reply #15235 on: August 12, 2019, 12:15:28 AM »
That’s just lovely!
Thank you very much

Another great looking pizza, Irish. I have not noticed you using a screen in your Ardore bakes before. What can you tell me about that? Usually I struggle to get the bottom as well baked as I would like without burning the top. It seems as if, for me, using a screen would make things more difficult. Still, yours looks great.

Thank you very much
I used the screen for resting the pizzas or sometimes if the floor is too hot I will throw the pizza on top of the screen and finish the top that were the bottom doesn't overcook.

I have cook the pizza on the screen from the get-go but it doesn't allow the bottom to get done enough as you already guessed you can launch on the screen and pull it off in about a few seconds once the bottom is set up enough and put the rest on the floor if you wanted an easy launch. But I mainly just use it for resting the pizza that way the bottom doesn't steam
Josh

Online moose13

« Reply #15236 on: August 13, 2019, 08:16:15 PM »
The firecracker! Fresh mozzarella, gorgonzola, soprasetta picante, jalapenos and chili oil. First time using wood in the Passione

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #15237 on: August 14, 2019, 12:46:30 AM »
The firecrack3er! Fresh mozzarella, gorgonzola, soprasetta picante, jalapenos and chili oil. First time using wood in the Passione

Niiice!  Light 'em up brother!!  🌈🤗

Offline Harsh2206

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15238 on: August 14, 2019, 03:09:30 PM »
Just a couple for the missus and I from last night. I've stopped using any oil, sugar and malt in the dough. Cooked on stone for 3 mins and and turn 2 mins more. Finished on bottom stone for 30 secs.

Offline SuperTz

« Reply #15239 on: August 14, 2019, 03:56:40 PM »
My first try at a DS. Overall not to shabby and I can see why this style is growing in popularity.