A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update  (Read 1423146 times)

tennisman03110 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline OHpizzaguy

• Quest for the perfect pizza!
Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Reply #15800 on: November 25, 2019, 08:42:38 PM »
Those  pepperoni look so good wish we had better choice of pepperoni here everything  I've tried not been up to scratch

We do get nice spanish chorizo though     thats why I use it more often than pepperoni
No Margherita available where you are? If you have Meijer stores near you, they might carry it!
https://www.meijer.com/shop/en/deli/deli-meats/pepperoni/margherita-pepperoni-16-oz/p/2781530730
I recently found Ezzo brand which we are loving, just not easy to come by.
Pizza brings people together!

Offline OHpizzaguy

« Reply #15801 on: November 25, 2019, 08:51:22 PM »
Great stuff. I usually get a Columbus Salami variety pack from Costco and bust it up into pizza portions for the freezer. I often let the slices sit on top of the stove while it's heating to degrease them a bit. Sometimes I roll the slices then cut them in thirds, that's kinda fun. Mostly I'll divide the slices in thirds or quarters, infrequently I top with a full slice.

I came across the Columbus peppered in a smaller cut & pre-packaged at a local Giant Eagle. With the smaller size I just cut them in half & they were so thin I didn’t even think about them being too greasy (which they weren’t)

Offline OHpizzaguy

« Reply #15802 on: November 25, 2019, 09:00:18 PM »
2nd pie of this dough batch, went back with the Ezzo pepperoni (just more of) & Columbus peppered salami but added droppings of Bocconcini mozzarella & ricotta (whipped w/garlic bread seasoning) & a drizzle of Mike’s Hot Honey. 6:30 at 500 on screen then 2:30 under broiler on stone.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #15803 on: November 25, 2019, 09:05:22 PM »
Nice bake pizzaguy... Real nice!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline OHpizzaguy

« Reply #15804 on: November 25, 2019, 09:09:39 PM »
Nice bake pizzaguy... Real nice!  :chef:
Thanks Bob,
I’m really thinking about doing your Chicago thin sometime soon! (My next adventure in pizza)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #15805 on: November 25, 2019, 09:14:11 PM »
Sounds awesome pizza pal, hope you enjoy the ride... the journey never ends.  :pizza::chef:

Offline Basquerider

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15806 on: November 25, 2019, 09:25:57 PM »
Have not posted for a long time, thought I’d give it a try.  Pepperoni, red onion and jalapeños.  Buffalo chicken.  A little long with the broiler.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 09:24:54 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline nickyr

« Reply #15807 on: November 26, 2019, 12:52:25 PM »
Have not posted for a long time, thought I’d give it a try.  Pepperoni, red onion and jalapeños.  Buffalo chicken.  A little long with the broiler.
The broiling looks awesome to me...

Offline Grease Wheel

« Reply #15808 on: November 26, 2019, 02:05:04 PM »
Margherita

In 1986 at a pizza party in Parma I asked the hostess what delicious brand of pepperoni she was serving. Margherita, she piped. Of course. I'd had it before and it's the best.

I can get the "smooth" stick here In the SW but not the "rustic" looking type. (Ordering from Amazon didn't work out.) Margherita calls them both natural casing. One needs refrigeration one does not. Either type delivers much more pepperoni flavor than the few premium brands often mentioned here, IMO. Both are especially better than the Bridgestone or MoreHell brands that some pollute pizza pies with. Sheesh. Again, per my taste.

Which type Margherita pepperoni do you use?

« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 04:36:13 PM by Grease Wheel »
A pensive man of philosophic joys.

Offline ARenko

« Reply #15809 on: November 26, 2019, 03:06:05 PM »
In 1986 at a house party in Parma I asked the hostess what delicious brand of pepperoni she was serving. Margherita, she piped. Of course. I'd had it before and it's the best.

I can get the "smooth" stick here In the SW but not the "rustic" looking type. (Ordering from Amazon didn't work out.) Margherita calls them both natural casing. One needs refrigeration one does not. Either type delivers much more pepperoni flavor than the few premium brands often mentioned here, IMO. Both are especially better than the Bridgestone or MoreHell brands that some pollute pizza pies with. Sheesh. Again, per my taste.

Which type Margherita pepperoni do you use?
Why didn't Amazon work out?  Worked for me on the first stick, but the second one dried out in the fridge to where it was unuseable.  Granted, it had been in there a while.  Not sure how long it's supposed to last, but I figured a cured meat would last a really long time.

This is the one I ordered...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E6RRHK4/?tag=pmak-20

Offline Grease Wheel

« Reply #15810 on: November 26, 2019, 04:29:16 PM »
Why didn't Amazon work out?  Worked for me on the first stick, but the second one dried out in the fridge to where it was unuseable.  Granted, it had been in there a while.  Not sure how long it's supposed to last, but I figured a cured meat would last a really long time.

This is the one I ordered...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E6RRHK4/?tag=pmak-20

When I clicked your link Amazon told me I ordered the MP three times. In fact, I ordered it once.

The sticks I ordered arrived moldy. I contacted Amazon and the vendor got back to me right away with a promise of a replacement. Somehow, over the next week I received two shipments containing a total of thee two-packs, or six sticks.

The replacements looked good, despite arriving warm, so I left one in the fridge and put the others in the freezer. Used half the fridge stick and it was super. By the next week the (refrigerated) unused half was moldy. I checked and 4/5 frozen sticks were moldy. (While in the freezer?!?! Didn't know that could happen.)

There is my sorry sausage saga, lol.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 04:34:17 PM by Grease Wheel »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #15811 on: November 26, 2019, 10:17:53 PM »
Aren't you just supposed to wash the mild off? The butcher shops always have sausage hanging with white mold on them, no?
I get the Margarita brand at Walmart.... Even after weeks in the fridge I never had mold problem, thankfully.

Offline Grease Wheel

« Reply #15812 on: November 26, 2019, 11:07:16 PM »
Aren't you just supposed to wash the mild off? The butcher shops always have sausage hanging with white mold on them, no?
I get the Margarita brand at Walmart.... Even after weeks in the fridge I never had mold problem, thankfully.

The mold on the pepperoni I got mail order was greenish grey, kinda.

As for the hanging meats..When I was a young boy I worked in a butcher shop. I learned nothing. As an adolescent I was employed as a commercial meat packer but my mind was occupied with girls and pizza. I learned nothing.

But I learned a lot when I mined for salt 1,500 feet beneath Lake Erie so I'm wild-guessing it's leached salt that coats the hanging meats.

My Walmart used to sell the smooth kinda Margherita pepperoni sticks which I think are way excellent but I haven't seen them for a while. Like you, I never came across any mold on MP.. or any other brand. The rustic type MP I ordered requires refrigeration, none arrived even close to cool. That's why I'm blaming the mail order.

Offline ARenko

« Reply #15813 on: November 27, 2019, 09:35:10 AM »
Several reviewers on Amazon mentioned getting moldy pepperoni. 

Why is it the rustic kind has to be refrigerated?  I don't remember seeing storage info on the package. 

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15814 on: November 27, 2019, 09:42:50 AM »
When I clicked your link Amazon told me I ordered the MP three times. In fact, I ordered it once.

The sticks I ordered arrived moldy. I contacted Amazon and the vendor got back to me right away with a promise of a replacement. Somehow, over the next week I received two shipments containing a total of thee two-packs, or six sticks.

The replacements looked good, despite arriving warm, so I left one in the fridge and put the others in the freezer. Used half the fridge stick and it was super. By the next week the (refrigerated) unused half was moldy. I checked and 4/5 frozen sticks were moldy. (While in the freezer?!?! Didn't know that could happen.)

There is m[size=78%]y sorry sausage saga, lol.[/size]
Your best bet may be to contact Jon in Albany and see if he will write you a Pepperoni Haiku  :-D
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=59740.msg599675#msg599675
-Tony

Offline wotavidone

• A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #15815 on: November 27, 2019, 02:37:13 PM »
Your best bet may be to contact Jon in Albany and see if he will write you a Pepperoni Haiku  :-D
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=59740.msg599675#msg599675
Like any good witch doctory stuff, the haiku will probably work better if backed up with a practical step.
e.g. dip the sticks in vinegar as soon as you get them then hang to drain well.
Vinegar is the only thing that addresses mould growth on my biltong.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 02:38:56 PM by wotavidone »
Mick

Offline Grease Wheel

« Reply #15816 on: November 27, 2019, 03:43:22 PM »
The butcher shops always have sausage hanging with white mold on them, no?

Yes, you're right.

"After 2 days I lowered the temp to 60*F and humidity to 75%. After a week the mold had really developed." https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/first-dry-cured-pepperoni-done.113140/

"WHAT IS THAT STUFF ON THE OUTSIDE OF MY SALAMI?

That dusty stuff is a natural, edible mold similar to those found on aged soft cheeses. Its called Penicillium, and we inoculate our salami with it to help the aging process. The mold acts as a natural barrier to protect the salami from any competing​ mold ​or bacteria growth during the drying process. ​Spraying the mold on the salami inoculate​s​ it with good mold and drives off any potential bad mold that might exist in the environment. It is a point of pride for us that all of our salami are naturally molded.

While there are easier ways to produce salami, such as imitating flora with rice or milk powder, we do not use shortcuts. These molds are natural and delicious, but are easily removable by taking off the salami's casing, if you so desire.

The picture below shows some examples of the variation in our mold colors. It's normal to see everything from a dusty white to vibrant blues and greens, all the way down to a shadowed grey. The colors change with the seasons, just like the rest of the flora in nature. All of these variations are delightful and delicious. Enjoy!" https://www.olympiaprovisions.com/blogs/faq-products/7982131-what-is-the-white-stuff-on-the-outside-of-my-salami

Not salt. So much for wild-guessing.

Offline naval2006

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15817 on: November 29, 2019, 07:02:14 AM »
That's the way we make chorizo seco (salumi or salami) in the country back home.  We do it in winter so we hang the sausages on racks from a high ceiling in the barn and we let it dry naturally with cold, wind and sun.  Mold shows up after a few days of curing and it acts like a real barrier during the process.  We keep the Italian tradition of butchering a hog and making chorizo, prosciutto, bondiola, queso de chancho, black pudding and bacon.  Even mold means our cold meats are curing ok.

Some older folks still use fat for curing.  They put the chorizo in a barrel full of pork fat.  The fat gets solid with cold weather and the seasoning takes place inside the barrel.  This is really old school.

Offline Harsh2206

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15818 on: November 29, 2019, 08:32:11 AM »
Ooni Pro with gas a couple days ago.

Offline wotavidone

• A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #15819 on: November 29, 2019, 10:37:04 PM »
Ooni Pro with gas a couple days ago.
Nice, especially that first one.
Mick