A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Too much gas??  (Read 483 times)

Offline CanadianPie

• I Love Pizza!
Too much gas??
« on: February 24, 2017, 11:06:20 PM »
I'm new to the pizza game and I've started experimenting with NY style.

I've been using Tom Lehmann's dough pizza dough recipe (unmodified) with 48hr CF.

When I go to stretch out the dough after proofing I find that I have a hard time dealing with gas bubbles when I am forming the rim. This leads to an uneven edge because some parts are of the rim go flat after the trapped bubbles deflate.

I can't figure out if I should be degassing the dough, if this happens because of the way I stretch the dough (my technique is based on this video), or something else!

« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 11:09:24 PM by CanadianPie »

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
Re: Too much gas??
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 11:17:14 PM »
Try using the dough a little sooner.

Online The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 11:51:52 PM »
What is the finished dough temperature? Are you following my dough management procedure or a modified version? A simple adjustment in temperature might solve the problem.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Josh123

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 07:16:08 PM »
Degas it and shape in flour bowl, then form crust on table
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 12:17:35 PM by Josh123 »

Online The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 08:54:13 PM »
Josh;
Exactly what do you mean by "degas it"? Degassing the dough is different from flattening it as a part of the dough being opened into a pizza skin. If you are pounding the dough out or otherwise working the dough to degas it this might be your problem too. A very easy way for a novice to open the dough ball into a skin is to allow the dough to temper AT room temperature until it reaches 50 to 55F, and then using a rolling pin or pastry pin roll the dough out to about 2-inches LESS in diameter than what you want the finished size to be, finish opening the dough to full size by hand. This is a very easy method to learn and it helps you to learn how to open a dough quite well.

Offline Josh123

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 12:20:23 PM »
Josh;
Exactly what do you mean by "degas it"? Degassing the dough is different from flattening it as a part of the dough being opened into a pizza skin. If you are pounding the dough out or otherwise working the dough to degas it this might be your problem too. A very easy way for a novice to open the dough ball into a skin is to allow the dough to temper AT room temperature until it reaches 50 to 55F, and then using a rolling pin or pastry pin roll the dough out to about 2-inches LESS in diameter than what you want the finished size to be, finish opening the dough to full size by hand. This is a very easy method to learn and it helps you to learn how to open a dough quite well.

He is saying he has trouble with degassing and getting an even rim. A simple fix is to do it the flour bowl and shape it with your fingers in there. It's much harder after you already started to form your crust. A rolling pin is an option, but not ideal for forming a decent rim imo.

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 10:41:28 PM »
I think Josh is refering to a method NY pizzamakers use to minimize excess bubbles, by compressing down the dough during opening, and slapping large gas bubbles out if any like as demonstrated in this video:

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 11:09:39 PM »
I think Josh is refering to a method NY pizzamakers use to minimize excess bubbles, by compressing down the dough during opening, and slapping large gas bubbles out if any like as demonstrated in this video:

Great video. I liked that build too.