A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My Go-To Burger Bun Recipe  (Read 401 times)

Offline avogadro

• I Love Pizza!
My Go-To Burger Bun Recipe
« on: May 08, 2020, 10:07:48 PM »
This recipe has never failed me and I always have some frozen ready for when I want to make a burger. :)

Mix together everything except the sugar and butter, and knead until gluten is 80% developed. Then work in the sugar, and then the butter piece by piece. It'll get sticky and might feel like it won't come together, but it will. Work until it easily passes a window pane test.

Rest 1 hour or until well doubled in size.

Divide into 100g portions and shape into rounds. Space evenly apart on a sheet tray and let rest for 10 minutes. Gently push down on the top of the buns so that they spread out slightly. If you want a taller, thinner bun then skip this step. :) Let rise for another 45 mins, or until visibly puffy and well increased in size.

Brush on egg wash and sprinkle on sesame seeds. Cook in a preheated oven at gas 4/175c for 30 minutes (rotate at 20 minute mark if your oven heats unevenly). Let cool for 10 minutes on the tray before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Whatever you don't plan to use immediately, freeze right away and they'll defrost just as fresh as they were when they were cooked.

Online Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
Re: My Go-To Burger Bun Recipe
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 09:45:39 PM »
Looks good!
Are they soft enough? I tried buns a couple of times, different recipes, I could get soft ones but not as soft as chain's  :'(
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline avogadro

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 10:34:42 AM »
Looks good!
Are they soft enough? I tried buns a couple of times, different recipes, I could get soft ones but not as soft as chain's  :'(

Yes they're pretty soft :) There are certainly things you could do to alter the recipe if you found that you wanted them to be commercially soft. You could try adding lecithin, SSL (sodium stearoyl lactylate), or GMS (glyceryl monostearate). If you can get your hands on DATEM, that's most likely what they're using to get such softness and volume. Otherwise solid fats are an option as are enzymes (lipases, phospholipase, hemicellulase/xylanase).

Online scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 10:59:29 AM »
Yael...many use a bit of potato flour, including mcdonalds and even some higher end bakers... it adds softness. Ill bet this recipe is pretty soft on its own too tho from the milk and butter. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 11:05:36 AM by scott r »

Online Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 10:50:12 PM »
Avogadro,

I have some dough enhancers with those ingredients, I tried them already (whether it was for buns or brioche), I got something soft, but not that soft as far as I recall.

Scott,

I think next time I'll try with both the potato flakes I have and the dough enhancer. I don't know when it will be, but I'll post the results on the forum!

Thanks you both for the advice!
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline PizzaManic

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 03:32:43 AM »
Yael, I have the same problem - buns right out the oven are soft and squishy - sits for a few hours and looses all those characteristics.
My go to store for buns remains squishy and fresh for upto 3 days sometimes - I also wonder what's the trick.
Regards Mo

Offline avogadro

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 11:28:47 AM »
Avogadro,

I have some dough enhancers with those ingredients, I tried them already (whether it was for buns or brioche), I got something soft, but not that soft as far as I recall.

Can you tell me what ingredients it actually has, and do you know what amounts of each (in terms of bakers %) you used for your rolls? Really what you're looking for are anti-staling agents.

Some other things I didn't mention are using preferments, hydrocolloids like gums, precooked starches like a tangzhong/scalded flour. Really though emulsifiers and enzymes will give you the most noticeable results as far as I'm aware. CSL is probably your best bet in terms of effectiveness and actually being able to get your hands on it.

Online Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 09:53:10 PM »
Can you tell me what ingredients it actually has, and do you know what amounts of each (in terms of bakers %) you used for your rolls? Really what you're looking for are anti-staling agents.

Some other things I didn't mention are using preferments, hydrocolloids like gums, precooked starches like a tangzhong/scalded flour. Really though emulsifiers and enzymes will give you the most noticeable results as far as I'm aware. CSL is probably your best bet in terms of effectiveness and actually being able to get your hands on it.

Here is a pic of the composition.
The product is Magimix from Lesaffre. I add 0.5% in my dough.

Is it possible that my oven is too "dry", and/or the heating resistance is too close to the bread? Height between stone and resistance: around 16cm. Well, I generally spray some water inside so I don't know...

Online Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #8 on: Today at 02:46:26 AM »
Oh I almost forgot! I tried the buns. I just made a few changes in the formula (100% SD starter, no yeast):

Flour: 80,00% (+20% SD)
(Total Flour weight   500g, including 100g from the SD)
Water: 61,00% (including 20% SD)
LEVAIN 40%
Salt:   2,50%
Sugar: 14,00%
Butter: 15,00%
Milk powder: 6,00%
Magimix dough enhancer: 0,50%
Eggs: 18,00%

2H in bulk + 7.75H balled, all RTF (22°C - 71-72°F)
It was quite wet, next time I'll add less water (the local flour I used absorbs a lot, with 74% hydration you have the regular texture of a 60% HR Italian flour one!!)
After a total of almost 10H RTF, the balls didn't rise a lot (2nd pic).
But there was a nice spring oven (3rd pic) (EDIT: too bad you can't see very well the difference once baked, I shouldn't have moved the buns to take the picture)

Taste was very sweet, next time I'll add less sugar (personal taste).

So, about the softness: it was soft, but the crumb was still quite dense, so I didn't get the "light" softness I'm looking for. Maybe better with IDY? I would think so...

We had a great chicken burger anyway  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Today at 02:58:05 AM by Yael »

Online jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: Today at 03:33:53 AM »
No Martin's Potato Rolls in China?  ;)
John

Online Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #10 on: Today at 04:42:46 AM »
No Martin's Potato Rolls in China?  ;)

Oh I forgot about the potato flakes...! Well, I guess I wanted to try this recipe anyway, so potatoes will be for next time, no regret  :P. BTW, I just made dough with potato flakes for a test that doesn't seem to be successful, seems it will end up in this month's monthly challenge (fried dough)..!